SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your favourite navigation?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Left menu

0 0%
  • Top and left menus

8 40.00%
  • Top and bottom menus

1 5.00%
  • Top, left and right menus

2 10.00%
  • Combination

3 15.00%
  • Other

6 30.00%
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favoured Navigation

Whey! My first post (and poll)...

I just wondered what you lot liked as a navigation system. I've done some simple options already, but there's bound to be some who have other ideas.

Anyway, please vote!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it's early. But I just can't visualise. Picked Other, by which I meant "Easy and Clear Navigation"
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like "TOP" only

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like top and left menus because it's so "basic" and simple. Most peoples eyes will look to the top, left, or both, for navigation, as do I. So that's where I find it easiest to navigate from.
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a designer or as a user? As a deisigner I always seem to find myself using left side - sometimes left and top depending on what the site organization is like. It's kind of a rut I need to get out of.

In both respects I don't think that this is an easy choice. Every site is different, and I don't think there is one option that works best in every case. So I would vote "other" - whatever works best for the site I'm looking at.

One style that I definitely don't like is the tab style like amazon and it's imitators. It just doesn't seem natural to me.
    Last edited by Megs; Jul 9, 2001 at 12:08.
    Megan Jack
    Proud to be Canadian
    http://www.meganjack.com
    Moderator at The Webmaster Forums and EDevCafe Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted other since I think it all depends on the site, something like Amazon or Futureshop would be a little hard to navigate if they kept all their navigation at either the top or left side while a personal site with a few links to your pets page and a bio would work ok with just a left or top navigation menu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting topic to discuss.

The top navigational bar is obviously the most space-efficient and unobtrusive. However, the disadvantage to using a top navigational bar is that you can't really extend the width beyond 750 pixels; 800x600 will not be able to view the page with scrolling horizontally.

The left bar is perhaps the best to use when you have a lot of navigational elements to the site. Furthermore, because the human eye reads from left to right, the left bar would be read 'before' the content. However, it's not very efficient with the space, and it tends to be somewhat obtrusive. The disadvantage is also that a user has to navigate all the way from the left bar to the the scrollbar (unless you got that little ball already on your mouse).

That's here the right-hand nav comes in. The right-hand nav is right by the scrollbar, allowing easy access. Furthermore, you read the 'content' before the 'navigational bar,' which is great for placing emphasis on content. However, the right bar is still not very conventional... not many sites use it. (I think it's rather stylish). A site of mine that uses it is http://chem.neopages.com . I opted to go it the right bar instead of the left bar because i wanted to place emphasis on the content before the navigation.

A combination of top and left bars, I think, is most effective for extremely information-heavy websites. One of the more intuitive navigational websites I found used the top bars for 'general' options, while the left navigation would provide more options.

Perhaps someone needs to start using 'center' navbars. :-D

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a designer it all comes down to how large the site is. If it is under 10 pages or so, with no categories of pages, a top navigation bar is what I usually choose. It gets the job done well.

With sites that are large, I like to use both left and top navigation systems. If the site has long pages, a bottom navigation system may be helpful.

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like "Left and Bottom" or "Top & Bottom". I usually place a text version of the nav at the bottom so people don't have to scroll back up for screens that are over two heights in length. A text nav at the bottom also takes care of those that may have turned off images and/or javascript on their browsers.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a user, as long as I can find/see it, it's fine! And it has to be legible too of course.

As a designer, I think I've used all forms. I tend to put navigation at the top and left and for pages with a lot of content on 1 page (like fanficiton/stories), I usually design "return to the top" at the bottom of the page so the user doesn't have to scroll. And there are usually some links at the bottom of the page def. a home link. So there's some navigation at the bottom too.

Basically, it varies
    My computer: Dell Latitude CPx | P3 650/500 w/ 256 MB RAM | 15" 1024x768 | IE 5.5 DSL
    gO rEd SoX! | "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return" - Christian, Moulin Rouge
    l e a r n t o q u e s t i o n | c l i o 3 6 0

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like left and bottom for the reasons that steelsun gave. It's not always what I use, but it is more often than not.