SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS Compatibility

Does anyone have a ballpark figure of how many people surf with style sheets off or browsers that are unable to see them (or even parts of them)?

I'm making a new site that uses css extensively, it'll be readable for non css browsers (the formatting is OK) but it looks *very* plain for them.

If I test in Opera and NS4.7, and it looks fine, should that be OK? What about WebTV? Does AOL see css differently? Any major things I should avoid?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just beginning to learn this stuff now and want to make sure I do it right.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it all works good in NS4.7 then you're probably not using CSS extensively...
    narcoleptic//
    sleepyhead on duty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, so far the only real non css is that I'm using tables for layout.

The menu, colors, fonts and everything uses css.

So far it still works very well in NS4.7. Does that mean it should work for WebTV and AOL users?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    netscape 4.7 barely supports css. i have it and use it for comparison on www.wvmimaging.com
    as for your ballpark figure, suppose 60% of your users can view css with IE 5+. than again, it depends on your site topic. If it's about web design, chances are it will be more like 80% because designers know that IE preforms better on most sites. thats just what im guessing though. im probably closer than farther from the truth (at least i hope)
    on www.wvmimaging.com I use some css to clean up all the font tags. default is made arial at size 2. it probably takes a few kilos out of each page. on netscape however, its just times new roman =(

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it?

I heard, think and clearly not sure, that AOL use IE as their internal browser.
    narcoleptic//
    sleepyhead on duty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes. aol DOES infact use IE.