SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the xml dom's output format and nl2br

i'm working with the domxml in php4, and the <br /> output goes like this:
    &lt;br /&gt;&#xD;
    this happens because the XML DOM processor automatically changes the < > and /r/n chars to be XML compatible.

did any of you ever experiment with displaying <br /> tags with XML with the set_contents function?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anabel
    i'm working with the domxml in php4, and the <br /> output goes like this:
    &lt;br /&gt;&#xD;
    this happens because the XML DOM processor automatically changes the < > and /r/n chars to be XML compatible.

did any of you ever experiment with displaying <br /> tags with XML with the set_contents function?
    if at all possible, i'd recommend upgrading to php5. dom / xml support in php 4 (and early versions of php 5) is suspect.

if that is not an option, i'd look for a good php xml class to do the dirty work so i didn't have to rely on the native dom / xml support in php 4.

i started a thread over in the xml area that may be able to help with this issue:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354632

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i figured out i won't use the nl2br, and simple <pre></pre> the information with XSLT.

I use godaddy's virtual private server for development for now, it's with the plesk 7.x panel control, i don't know how to install (even if it's possible) PHP5 on it....

any ideas?