User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

viewing SSI offline help!

hi there,
    i'm doing some work with a site that's got quite a bit of SSI involved. I'd like to get a better picture of how it looks without having to upload it to the server each time. I know that there is a way to view pages with SSI offline by downloading something (from Microsoft - i think) .. but can't seem to find it... any help/advice would be appreciated.

best regards,
    J

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can install apache on your computer, either from www.apache.org or use a package like PHPTriad from www.phpgeek.com (Asuming you are using Windows)

You will need to change a couple of things in the Apache config file to get it to pass server side includes, but I am not sure what!

Sean

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi there,
    thanks for the reply - i took a look at the links you posted... couldn't find out anything to do with viewing SSi offline i'm afraid - i'm sure there was a download from microsoft somewhere

any further advise appreciated

regards,
    J
    kind regards,
    jeev :: rabsterb@aol.com
    flash-i new media [uk]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apache is the most popular webserver on the Internet. You can install it on your computer to test things, such as PHP scripts, CGI scripts or SSIs.

If you install Apache you will have your own little webserver on your computer and you will be able to view web pages on your computer (but not from the outside!) by going to http://localhost

Pages called like this are passed through Apache and this will handle SSIs. So you can test them without having to upload your web pages to your host.

Hope that cleared things up

Sean

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the advice seanf
    sorry .. just got one more question !

so i want to view SSI offline... i took a look at the site you recommended (apache) - and looked at the download section ... you wouldn't happen to know which one i would need would you (there's quite a long list )

--------
    http://www.technotopia.com/vroom/apache/dist/
    --------

regards,
    J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, http://httpd.apache.org/dist/httpd/b...-no_src-r2.msi

If you need any help while installing it ask here !

Sean

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi again...

still need help

i'm halfway through installation - it asks for network domain, server name and e-mail address ... what should i do.. seing as i want it only to work on my comp?

thanks for your help
    kind regards,
    flash-i new media [uk]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put localhost for both network domain and server name. Type in your email address for the email.

That should work!

Sean

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok got it set up all fine.
    this is the last last question, i promise

so it's all set up now >> say if i had a file links.shtml - how would i now be able to view them offline.

thanks once again.

regards,
    J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should just have to change the following two lines in the file httpd.conf from:

#AddType text/html .shtml
    #AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

To:

AddType text/html .shtml
    AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

But, this did not work for me. Does it for you?

Sean

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi there,
    i changed as you suggested... i'll test out the shtml files and let you know (probably later on today or tomorrow) but i'll post here and ,let you know.

thanks for your help
    J
    kind regards,
    flash-i new media [uk]

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by seanf
    If you install Apache you will have your own little webserver on your computer and you will be able to view web pages on your computer (but not from the outside!) by going to http://localhost
    not true. by default Apache listens to ALL IP addresses. this is a problem for me b/c i will be running some things here on my system that i don't want people out on the Net to get at. it's prob not that big of a deal since i'm on dial-up w/ dyn IP, but it could still be found w/ a sniffer.

if you want stuff to only be available from localhost, put this in httpd.conf:

Listen 127.0.0.1

i couldn't use that though b/c i wanted it to listen to the LAN IP too, which isn't always enabled. so i had to stick this in my <Directory>...</Directory> things:

Order deny,allow
    deny from all
    allow from 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2

then if anyone on the Net tries to access the server they'll get a 403.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How could someone get into your PC if you have specified localhost for the server name and network domain?

Sean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by seanf
    How could someone get into your PC if you have specified localhost for the server name and network domain?
    AFAIK those things are simply for displaying like on error pages. i.e. "Apache server 1.3.20 at <whatever_you_put_for_your_server_name>"

i can use localhost, 127.0.0.1, or 192.168.0.1 (LAN IP) for server name, and it makes no difference. it's still listening to all IPs and therefore is available from the Net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    localhost is merely a "friendly" name for 127.0.0.1. All that happens is all requests to localhost are sent onto 127.0.0.1. Now, people won't be able to call on 127.0.0.1 to get to your site because 127.0.0.1 is the IP for local access to any computer, and calling on it will just bring up their own server (if they are running one). They will be able to access it from your public IP, which is given to you from your ISP and can be easily determined by "winipcfg.exe" if you have Windows 9x or the internet conenction properties on Windows 2000.

Oh yeah, and the Microsoft solution you want is Personal Web Server / PWS. PWS supports SSI in ASP pages. (Or on Window NT/2000, you can use Internet Information Service)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Wes DeMoney
    localhost is merely a "friendly" name for 127.0.0.1. All that happens is all requests to localhost are sent onto 127.0.0.1. Now, people won't be able to call on 127.0.0.1 to get to your site because 127.0.0.1 is the IP for local access to any computer, and calling on it will just bring up their own server (if they are running one). They will be able to access it from your public IP, which is given to you from your ISP and can be easily determined by "winipcfg.exe" if you have Windows 9x or the internet conenction properties on Windows 2000.
    yes, i know all about localhost. and what happens if someone else types it. what i'm trying to explain is that simply "naming" the server localhost or 127.0.0.1 does NOT prevent someone from the Internet accessing it. if the server machine is connected directly to the Net anyway. of course if it was on a LAN behind NAT or something, then yes it would be hidden from the Net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I know all that. I was just adding some more to the info for rasterb's knowledge and seanf's question. I also know about access from outside. I dont think theres a real big risk on a consumer, dial-up access PC. If someone is worried about dial-up security, you can get the free firewall from ZoneAlarm.