SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast cragthehack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP or ASP? I need advice...

Except during election years, all of my clients are non-profits. Nonprofits have no money (they can barely pay me - but I help them write grants. )

Weíve been looking for a SQL solution and of course mySQL is perfect. But, Iíve been using ASP for about a year nowÖ and Iíve just started reading about PHP. I understand that mySQL and PHP are a really nice fit. So which one? Iím running Linux on the server. But, I have ChilliSoft ASP installed. Also, PHP and Perl are installed. (I got a special RaQr thatís set up especially for databases).

Locally, Iím running Win2000/IIS with PHP and mySQL installed and working. Iíve been racking my brain deciding if I should drop ASP all together and move over to PHP. Luckily, my current ASP code works with Chillisoft, so I have some time. Currently, Iím learning mySQL (coming from Oracle it isnít that hard.)

My background is: c/c++ (years ago), all xBase langs (Clipper, Foxbase/FoxPro), Oracle, and of course ASP (oh and HTML, JS and VB Ė of course).

thanks....
    - crag
    net geek for non profits and political campaings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few more thoughtsÖ

I am aware that sticking with ASP means sticking with the Windows family of products, which Iíd rather not do. Sure, ASP can run on Unix (with ChilliSoft and the spice Pack). But, itís really meant for Windows. ASP will never run as well on Unix as it does on Windows. Not to mention that there are a huge amount of objects available for ASP on Windows Ė not so on Unix.

Also, I DO NOT WANT TO START A FLAME WAR. Iím just asking for advice. Iíve asked this same question in an ASP forum. Iím asking here, cause from reading and commenting on this board most of you folks seems intelligent and cool.

My last consideration is open source. Itís very attractive to political campaigns. Since MS has become a political issue, using open source keeps them and me out of trouble. Think of a candidate who supports the MS breakup running his website on NT using ASP Ė actually raising funds on it. lol
    - crag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    If the clients let me choose the platform, I choose Linux+php+mysql. If they want Windows, I choose ASP+mysql or sql server. I'm flexible - will do both.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of my clients donít have a clue. They leave it up to me to decide. They are more concerned with the end result. So I have complete freedom.

So far, Iím leaning towards PHP. Actually, it reminds of programming the old-fashion way.
    - crag

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well since your clients are non-profit and would probably like the cheapest solution that gets the job done I would go with a FreeBSD or Linux server with PHP and MySQL. For a basic hosting plan you can get this kind of config for around $10 a month.