SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some queries regarding earning online

Dear friends, I have some queries regarding earning online.

I have observed (with whatever little search I have done in the forums) that most of the participants are those who have already achieved a sufficient steams of income. That's why their topics revolve around general policies of various affiliates programs etc and how they can improve their CTR etc. In many posts quite young webmasters (between 15-25 years) claimed to have been earning minimum $ 1000-1500/month from their websites. I also read a post where a guy claimed that he is earning $1500-1700 per month by working just 30 minutes per day on his sites.

Well I suppose that many people around the world are earning online through their websites. But it is difficult to find some first-hand experience of 'how they did it' ? Something in which a successful webmaster have outlined his entire plan right from the beginning. For ex. How he started ?, what kind of research he did ? , how did he design his website ?, how he updated his contents, did he researched for the good affiliate programs ?,did he make & sell his own products ?, how he marketed his websites, were there any mistakes ?..and many more questions like that.

So here are some of my queries:

(1) In your opinion, for earning money, which is best :

(i) one informative site with 500 pages or
    (ii) 50 sites with 10 pages each ?

If your answer is (ii) :

> Is it possible for someone who is working on a demanding & tiring offline job to come up with 50 sites ?
    >Or can somebody make a substantial income (at least $ 500-1000) by working on just one site ? If yes, can you cite any example.

(2) Does anyone of you (I mean those who can call themselves successful webmasters) started along with an offline (non-technical/not related to computers ) job. If yes, can you tell your experience of how you did it ?

(3) How many visitors/day to a site should be considered as threshold limit for an earning potential of $500 /month (my goal is to earn this much atleast) ? What can be the earning potential of a site which attracts 150-200 visitors per day ?

(4) In your opinion, what should be the best marketing strategy for a site ? Is it link building? newsletters? offline advert.? pay-per-click ? SE Optimization ? anything else ? or a combination of all above ?

(5) Does people really buy everything on net ? What is your experience ? What is the average response rate of your site/s ? I mean out of 100 visitors how many buy anything.

(6) Does those self acclaimed marketing gurus really matters ? Is it really worthwhile to attend those costly 'internet marketing' seminars ?

(7) Can you please tell your first successful website's story. I mean can you tell in brief " How you did it? " from start to finish ?

(8) The most important advice you can give to a newbie ?

...... That's all. I know that all above queries are quite elementary in nature. But I think these will help many persons like me who are yet to succeed online.

Plz take your time. I'll appreciate if you answer all the above. But if you don't have time : please answer whatever question you can.

Regards

Shekhar

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. It depends on the topic. If the one big site is a video game with but one of the 10 smaller sites would be about financial planning then the smaller sites would likely make more money.

However its more than possible to make 4 figures with a single site, I have sites that bring in 5 figures each.

2. Not really. I worked in a genetic engineering lab at a major university while attending, I also did their computer stuff. Then I started working as a web developer. Then I finally started having success with my own sites and went from there.

3. Assume you can make $1 for every 1000 page views. You'd need 500,000 page views per month to make $500. This is not chiseled in stone, but I think it is a good estimate.

4. If you're talking about a content site. Link building is part of SEO and that will generally be the way to go. Content sites will not get an effective ROI with PPC or offline ads.

5. I think the average conversion rate for an ecommerce site has been said to be 2%, but depending on your product it can be even lower. For instance if you sell something that attracts "window shoppers" it'll likely be lower. A product that is cool to look at for instance. More people visit the Porsche website than actually are considering buying one (not that you can buy them online, but its a good example).

6. No. Anything you need to know can be found for free online in tutorials, forums, and articles.

7. I've told it before, many times. This post is too long already.

8. Once you have your site, time is on your site. Keep working at it, keep making it better. So long as you have a good niche success is almost inevitable given enough time.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen

7. I've told it before, many times. This post is too long already.
    Atleast give me the link where I can read it . Please