SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which one is the best mysql_pconnect or mysql_connect ?

well I must say the usage in terms of security.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no difference, security wise.

However, there is still a difference. ;-)

If your MySQL server is hosted on the same machine as your web server, or on a machine connected via a high speed LAN, you want mysql_connect(). Otherwise, if you're connecting from a computer in Boston to a computer in New York, you'd want mysql_pconnect().

Its a general rule, but a good guideline for usage.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Stallion
    If your MySQL server is hosted on the same machine as your web server, or on a machine connected via a high speed LAN, you want mysql_connect(). Otherwise, if you're connecting from a computer in Boston to a computer in New York, you'd want mysql_pconnect().
    Why is that? A lot of the overhead involved with querying the DB is actually just connecting, so it would work well on a LAN or localhost too.

I think that a better guideline would be that if you're going to be running lots of queries on your DB, then you should use pconnect. If you are only going to be querying your DB a few times a day, then use connect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well what about in terms of execution speed ? which one is slower if lets say every 30 Minuts requesting for data.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    qslack: there's a big overhead of the idling processes

Search on Google for "pconnect php mysql" and I'm sure you'll find some better explanations.

Ckerken: they're both about the same. The real bottleneck, if there is any, would be in the actual queries you're executing.

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i benchmarked the 2 on my machine here w/ no load on MySQL (it's just idle) and here's the (average) execution times running the same query:

connect = 0.0102 seconds
    pconnect = 0.0033 seconds

i assume that the busier MySQL is the longer it will take to get a connection with connect.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason for mysql_pconnect(); is when a site has a ton of hits in a short amount of time. Because disconnecting and reconnecting can cause a lot of overhead in this type of situation mysql_pconnect(); keeps the connection open at all times and does not disconnect. So not as much overhead as with a lot of hits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Straight from the horse's mouth at php.net:

"First, when connecting, the function would first try to find a (persistent) link that's already open with the same host, username and password. If one is found, an identifier for it will be returned instead of opening a new connection.

"Second, the connection to the SQL server will not be closed when the execution of the script ends. Instead, the link will remain open for future use (mysql_close() will not close links established by mysql_pconnect()).

"This type of links is therefore called 'persistent'."

Also note on that page how some user comments have said that pconnect is much slower than normal connect, however these people were running very busy sites. So I would say that pconnect is better for sites that are not that busy, but as sites are more and more busy it might be a good idea to use connect, that is just the feeling I got from reading the comments though
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/functio...l-pconnect.php

Oh, and also, it kinda depends, cos if you query the database heaps and heaps etc, the times and performance are obviously going to vary, with the complexity of you queries as well.
    Last edited by timnz; Jul 7, 2001 at 20:10.