Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UltraDev 4

SitePoint Enthusiast bsmith@interinc.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UltraDev 4

I am currently using my Telnet to create my database.

I am new to this, and have UltraDev4. Can I use it to create my database? Will it work with MySQL? Should I no use UltraDev4?

I have seen posts about mysqladmin programs and have downloaded them but cannot get them to connect.

In the DSN do I need anything in front of the path?

LIKE system(/home/shc_servers/sites/mysite/root/mydata/)??????

I need a lotta help.

I am I, Therefore I bark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ultradev 4 will only create code in either JSP, ASP or CFML, it does not do PHP natively although I have heard of add-on's that can do this for you.
    Ultradev will not create a Database for you, all it will do is help you create the code to display info from your database on your web pages.

Also I would suggest you use SSH to login to your server as Telnet uses no encryption so your password and username are vunerable to attack.
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

SitePoint Enthusiast cragthehack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are several extensions available for UD that will help you. Do a search at the Macormedia Exchange on "PHP". Use the Extension Manager.

Also, check out PHAKt (www.interakt.ro/phakt ). PHAKt adds php support to UD. Mind you this is still in beta.. and it does not make UD as easy to use with php as it is with ASP or CF.

I'm hoping that Macormedia adds php support to UD with the next release. But, I haven't heard anything. But, since they have aquired Allaire (the developers of Cold Fusion) I doubt they will.

Actually, it kind-of pisses me off. I'm moving from ASP to PHP and now UD isn't as important to me as it used to be.
    - crag
    net geek for non profits and political campaings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me about it!

I have invested so much into Macromedia products, they make it seem as if it all is seamless, but NOT..

What do you use to build your db's with?

I can't get mysqlfront, mysqladmin to connect and I am trying to get my php script to call it out with a cut and paste from Kevin's tut but it doesn't work. MySQL and PHP seem to be up and running, any sug"s?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Locally I've been using DB Tools Manager (http://dbtools.vila.bol.com.br/ ) to build mySQL dbs and tables.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the tables to the web server online. I've been thinking that I'll build the tables locally, write all the code, test it and then recreate the database online in mySQL. I know this will be a pain in the ***... but I can't think of any other way.

It makes it worse that I'm running win2000 locally and linux online.
    - crag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OwwO

I am trying to do the same thing. I am Mac based and everyone who is someone who isn't anyone but is say's db is the way to go... So I bought a PC because Mac's can't talk to DB's as well so i'm told, plus I have a Linux remote. Everyone who rights books on the subject take it for granted we are all on the same page. I have spent over 800 on books that don't explain how to do this with the configuration we have. "Client to remote" They think our Mom's have Unix tatooed on their chest and we spoke Unix from birth.

Have you tried to set up an interface on your client?

I bought Access thinking I could create my db on that only to find out after I was halfway to heaven Linux don't LIKE Access to much. And I get started on asp and it sounds like php is the way. I'm dizzy.

What are you using on you client to build the db with? Access? dah It's DBTools. I am going to download it. Got any sug's on the temperment of DBTools? Was it easy to run?

Thanks
    Last edited by bsmith@interinc.com; Jul 7, 2001 at 12:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DBTools is very easy to run. You should have a local version of mySQL installed first, I think.

It also imports data from an Access table into a mySQL table. It will even create a new table for you based on the structure of the Access table. A real time saver!

As to how to get it on the server.. haven't figured that out yet. Since my server is unix and I'm windows - I just can't copy the database. I'll probably end up writing a script in PHP (probably my first offical script) to create the database/tables for me on the server.
    - crag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DBTools Thank you!

I got DBTools, looks like a great program. Thanks a million.

When I start out with the program it gives me two tool options across the top. One is the "Exit", the other is "Add Server" .

I input my server info and like the other interfaces I have it states it can't connect because my Cable Company that I use to connect to the internet is not allowed to connect to the MySQL Server.

Do you get this as well?

is there a workaround ?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need to write a script or anything fancy to get data to your remote host, just do a dump of the data in your mysql table and then run that dump data on your remote host. Simple as pie.

midnight coder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be a lot easier to create databases if you install phpMyAdmin, it's a web GUI.

Of course, using the command promt to control MySQL is the most powerful way, but phpMyAdmin is standand in most hosting companies.

http://www.phpwizard.net/projects/phpMyAdmin/

And if does not matter whether you use a Mac/PC/Linux, your database can be read perfectly in all those platforms. All you have to do is do a mysqldump, and import it to another machine that has MySQL installed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: DBTools Thank you!

Originally posted by bsmith@interinc.com
    I input my server info and like the other interfaces I have it states it can't connect because my Cable Company that I use to connect to the internet is not allowed to connect to the MySQL Server.
    I do not use DB Tools on my remote server. As far as I know, it can't be done. I just use it locally to make any tables structure changes and help write some SQL. When I'm ready, then I have to get the table to the server some other way. Dumping the data has been suggested, and I'm gonna try that tonight. I'll let you know how it worked out.
    - crag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by cragthehack
    there are several extensions available for UD that will help you. Do a search at the Macormedia Exchange on "PHP". Use the Extension Manager.

Also, check out PHAKt (www.interakt.ro/phakt ). PHAKt adds php support to UD. Mind you this is still in beta.. and it does not make UD as easy to use with php as it is with ASP or CF.

I'm hoping that Macormedia adds php support to UD with the next release. But, I haven't heard anything. But, since they have aquired Allaire (the developers of Cold Fusion) I doubt they will.

Actually, it kind-of pisses me off. I'm moving from ASP to PHP and now UD isn't as important to me as it used to be.
    From what I've heard in some of the Dreamweaver 4 UD newsgroups, Macromedia will NOT support PHP in future releases because it is open-source. Just what I heard...My guess is they'll concentrate more on ColdFusion now that they own it.
    Fuseblown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Robo
    It would be a lot easier to create databases if you install phpMyAdmin, it's a web GUI.

Of course, using the command promt to control MySQL is the most powerful way, but phpMyAdmin is standand in most hosting companies.

http://www.phpwizard.net/projects/phpMyAdmin/

And if does not matter whether you use a Mac/PC/Linux, your database can be read perfectly in all those platforms. All you have to do is do a mysqldump, and import it to another machine that has MySQL installed.
    I use phpMyAdmin personally and I like it a lot. Haven't tried anything else yet. This one has worked out for me in every situation so far...however if you run into any bugs, it's likely they will not be fixed for a while because development of phpMyAdmin has been ceased since around February I believe. No idea if they plan to keep updating it in the future or not. It's a great tool to check out though.
    Fuseblown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Fuseblown

From what I've heard in some of the Dreamweaver 4 UD newsgroups, Macromedia will NOT support PHP in future releases because it is open-source. Just what I heard...My guess is they'll concentrate more on ColdFusion now that they own it.
    Your right Fuseblown. I asked a Macromedia rep if PHP would ever be supported in UD and the answer was a BIG no. Its a crying shame becuase I really like Macromedia products
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by micmar

Your right Fuseblown. I asked a Macromedia rep if PHP would ever be supported in UD and the answer was a BIG no. Its a crying shame becuase I really like Macromedia products
    Ditto. That's one things that's made me furious with Macromedia...I've been coding PHP recently, using UltraDev, but of course I might as well be using notepad, heh. I haven't really tried any of the PHP extensions for UD yet however...maybe one of those will become advanced enough to offer similar features for PHP that it already does for ASP, CF, etc. Oh well.
    Fuseblown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Macromedia to add PHP support into UD, it'll have to come from the community in a BIG way. And i don't see that happening.

Most people semed satified with UD and ASP/CF or JSP. But, there are some well known Dreamweaver folks who are working on adding PHP (Dreamweaver offers a wonderful API for developing extensions) to DW. I mentioned one earlier in this fourm. Check it out.

Oh, by the way, I've been using Macromedia products since they first appeared.
    - crag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one caution for phpMyAdmin, it doesn't handle importing big dumps very well, so it is best to do those through the command prompt. It tends to only import about half of the data, if you have about 20 odd tables filled with lots of stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by timnz
    Just one caution for phpMyAdmin, it doesn't handle importing big dumps very well, so it is best to do those through the command prompt. It tends to only import about half of the data, if you have about 20 odd tables filled with lots of stuff.
    I've used it to import data for PHP-Nuke without any problems and it has a lot of stuff...
    Fuseblown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used it to import data for PHP-Nuke without any problems and it has a lot of stuff...
    What is PHP-Nuke?
    - crag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by cragthehack

What is PHP-Nuke?
    PHP-Nuke is a PHP-based portal system. Pretty popular. Check out the site for more details.

I'm actually thinking about doing my own PHP web site system similar to PHP-Nuke, but more personalized for me.
    Fuseblown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite a few people I have spoken to have said that it does not handle large dumps very well as well as me, but it just depends on lots of other factors probably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's a large dump? millions of records?
    - crag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP-Nuke is a PHP-based portal system. Pretty popular. Check out the site for more details.

I'm actually thinking about doing my own PHP web site system similar to PHP-Nuke, but more personalized for me.
    A PHP-based portal similar to PHP-Nuke is phpWebLog. Similar setup, haven't tried it yet though.
    Fuseblown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I found that phpmyadmin couldn't handle importing the dump for phpshop, and that isn't that large at all, just about a thousand records. So large in this context I would say is over 500, mind you, that can seem tiny compared to bigger records that are in the millions and more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Away for the day....

I left this morning for a day away and I have to do catch up when I get back...I apprecite all of the suggestions. This has got to be the best forum I have been on.

Can I run Apache on my PC?

If I want to be the best at this that I can what should my basic applications be? Starting from the beginning?

Would I have Apache, MySQL and etc, etc installed on my PC then build it all, check it, and then dump it onto my remote Linux?

And from I think I understand most if not all, mysqladmin, dbtools, mysqlfront can't connect to the remote because they can't so dumping is used?