SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: MattR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MattR

I've been reading your posts on MySQL, and am wondering if it would be worth my time to switch over to Sybase right now, I am running a number of small sites, but in the future I hope to have some much larger projects. I know 11.0.? is free, which I really need since I operate on a $100 a month budget (hey now, I'm still a kid ) do I have to compile php with some special libraries or will the built in functions work adequetly (I have no idea how to spell that word), also, what book would you reccommend?

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: MattR

Originally posted by Snoozy
    I've been reading your posts on MySQL, and am wondering if it would be worth my time to switch over to Sybase right now, I am running a number of small sites, but in the future I hope to have some much larger projects. I know 11.0.? is free, which I really need since I operate on a $100 a month budget (hey now, I'm still a kid ) do I have to compile php with some special libraries or will the built in functions work adequetly (I have no idea how to spell that word), also, what book would you reccommend?
    Well, switching your DB applications that you have now would be a big job, especially if you didn't have the need for it. I'd say if in three or six months you are encountering problems then investigate the current RDBMS market (perhaps MySQL is better, or PostGRES is better, or Sybase has another free version, etc.).

If MySQL is meeting your needs for the short and long term then I see no real need to port. However I'm encouraged that people are *interested* in my posts let alone read them!

You have to download the Sybase CT libraries (same place where you download the database server) and then re-compile PHP like this:
    ./configure :all other config options: --with-sybase-ct=/opt/sybase (or wherever it installs to)

Then you’re good to go. I have a brief “README” on DBForums.com:
    http://dbforums.com/t65148.html

It lists the only on-line books you will probably ever need (the Official Sybase Documentation) along with general DBA tasks and such.