SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

011110010110000101111001 jabird's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how much could I sell this for?

Hello, I would like to know how much I could sell a highly customizable CMS, and my time.

I've spent days on end doing non-stop researching, and I'm building a CMS (as you may know if you read the PHP forums), when I get done with this, ~how much could I sell this, and my time for?

By my time, I mean to the average user, that doesn't want to spend time learning how to manipulate my CMS, all he wants is a website. So he would pay me for the script, and a few hours a week or month, to update it/mod it for him.

So

~how much for a good CMS

and ~how much for a few hours a month?

Thanks,
    ~Jabird
    Jabird.com
    If I were binary... I'd be all 1's for you.
    BBCode trouble?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

It would depend on a lot of things. There are lots of good free php and mysql CMS’ on the market so selling a similar script for money will not be an easy task.

Really, it all comes down to marketing. If marketed correctly you should be able to charge pretty much anything you wish. I suggest after finishing the script you setup a nice looking website with as much documentation and info about the script as possible. Possibly also a support forum. Then it might be a good idea to spend a bit of money advertising the script for a few weeks. As soon as you have sold a few copies and have a solid member base the sales should start pouring in.

I am looking forward to seeing the script in action, do you have a release date set?

Jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By no means have I a release date set... if you look in the PHP forums, you can tell that my script is still is pre-alpha... I don't have a layout or anything yet, just piecing the basics together, I plan on having a functional version out by next week, because I am making it for my school, but just as an added kick, I made it so all someone would have to do is download it, edit the conf.php file, and have there own website...

I'll PM you the first functional version that comes out so you can check it out, if you'd like...

EDIT: Also, at first until I get allll the quirks worked out, it will most likely be 100% free, then when everything is worked out, I'll have 2 versions (most likely), one that has just the site, and a few little basic features, and the second will have all kinds of extra's to help you out along the way...

I plan on making it very easy to template... just as easy as uploading some images, editing the .css document, and selecting what template you want...

Shoot me a PM if you'd be interested in seeing it when I get a alpha version out...
    ~Jabird
    Jabird.com
    BBCode trouble?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comment

I agree with Jon, but as a layman from a marketing background, I am always on the lookout for nice scripts, especially cms scripts.

Where most sites fail from my point-of-view is that:

1. Too many sites don't offer good demos - front and backend, and just want you to test drive by downloading. Sure this is a great idea as well, but without the demo you have lost me straight away.

2. Some example skins (nice ones profesionally designed). There are some excellent designers here on Sitepoint just waiting for jobs and cheap too.

3. If you follow point 1 and 2, make sure when you add content to the demo, it isn't just an afterthought. For example, make it look and feel like a real working site. I get pissed when a site has some potential, but the developer just wacks in some copy 'your type goes here' and uses a photo from a magazine that was taken 30 years ago.

4. Remember, you can have the best script on the market. If you can't sell it, who will know!!!

Hope I have been of some help.

Dalt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips, I will keep those in mind as I work on this...
    ~Jabird
    Jabird.com
    BBCode trouble?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could probably charge a lot more if you are working with end-users like mid-large corps up and above $500

but if dont expect to get more than $100 with webmaster guys "lurking" at forums...most would go for freebies like mambo, durpal, Xoop,...etc
    |vb-skins.com| Quality Vb skins at affordable Price

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do plan on working with larger companies, but really my idea was, just for the person that wants something simple to set up, highly customizable, and not too big of a learning curve.

I've tried to install Mambo, Drupal, WordPress, and probly about 50 others, but none of them had what I wanted, nor where they fairly simple to set up. So I don't see how your basic person is supposed to set it up, when someone thats been infront of a computer for 12 years can't even do it.

So I began working on this, for my school. And its just for the normal pay I would get if I did something else here at work, (not much), so I thought I'd sell it a few times and make some more money on it, and have good support and all.

Sure, alot of people would rather take the free one, but if they don't want to spend weeks getting it prepared, they'd start looking for alternatives, and hopefully stumble across mine, and see the simplicity behind it...

Thats my goal.
    ~Jabird
    Jabird.com
    BBCode trouble?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep it simple

Sounds like a good idea Jabird. Keep it simple and sell to the mass market.

I agree with you on Mambo and others. They look good when finally set-up, but it is usually a lot of pain for us newbies to work with.

Dalt