SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEO and Macromedia Flash

I'm thinking in building a site for a Garden Center, it will have a description of the company, it's location, a shop and for start a small space for specialized content related how to care about flowers, plants and gardens, it will be mainly in portuguese.

I'm still in the planning phase it will be either in Flash or with a server side, like asp.net, For what I understand of the more technical issues about SEO, in flash for obvious reasons the chance for a search engine to spider a site made by flash are very limited, wich is a very big downsize, because of the commercial aspect of the project. Is there any workaround to this ?

By the way an off topic, one of the reasons to again choose server side is the abbility of building a backoffice to allow a non technical person to mantain and add content to the site, in flash its impossible to do this, or I'am wrong

Thanks for your help
    plan9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to avoid doing the whole site in Flash, instead do it in html and imbed the Flash where you want it. Don't make your text Flash images, that would be the worst thing you could do (SEO wise).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoWebDesign
    Try to avoid doing the whole site in Flash, instead do it in html and imbed the Flash where you want it. Don't make your text Flash images, that would be the worst thing you could do (SEO wise).

What do you mean by text flash images?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean use html for your text, not Flash (or gif or JPG). That's one of the most common mistakes that the Flash "gurus" make.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    972 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Yup, one of the key things search engines look for are text links. If you want an example of this, just search for 'Click here' in Google. You'll get the Adobe Acrobat download page. Think about how many sites in the world have 'Click here to download Acrobat Reader' on them. Using Flash links will void this important SEO factor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK
    Yup, one of the key things search engines look for are text links. If you want an example of this, just search for 'Click here' in Google. You'll get the Adobe Acrobat download page. Think about how many sites in the world have 'Click here to download Acrobat Reader' on them. Using Flash links will void this important SEO factor.

you can open links in browser windows from inside flash, that would solve that problem or not?

Thanks

Technical Director at StuckOn JakeCop's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plan9
    you can open links in browser windows from inside flash, that would solve that problem or not?

Thanks
    No, the links cannot be indexed. Do not build your site in Flash, and do not use Flash for the navigation.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what i understand you could set up the content in some div for example and hide it but it would mean loading the content twice
    Go visit my site :-D you know you want to ;-)
    www.mech7.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelsoul
    From what i understand you could set up the content in some div for example and hide it but it would mean loading the content twice
    Go ahead, do that. We won't need to worry about your site as a competitor for anything then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeCop
    Go ahead, do that. We won't need to worry about your site as a competitor for anything then.

I could only be a competitor if you were portuguese and your business would be a garden center....just kidding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plan9
    I could only be a competitor if you were portuguese and your business would be a garden center....just kidding
    My point is if you take pixelsoul's advice none of your competitors would need to worry about you, you'd find your site banned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeCop
    My point is if you take pixelsoul's advice none of your competitors would need to worry about you, you'd find your site banned.

Yes you are right, eard that if you use hidden content the search engines banned you

thanks

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would recommend using css instead of flash. by using flash you are losing more than just search engine's visits. read more in this topic or this article.