User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WebDesigner begginer QUESTIONS!

Hey,
    I'm Koolbrian ,
    guess you knew it, i'm having a problem. A Webdesign problem. I will start a small webdesign company and i have some questions to webdesigners.

1) When You design a site (Design & content), do the customer provides the content ( in a text file) or something or they tell you what it's all about, and you write all ?,

2) Do ya think a webdesigner that designs
    a)WebPage Layouts
    b)Graphics
    c)Logo
    d) Re-design solution ,
    can sort out some money ?, i'm sure will say, it depends how good your work is, but i meant the fact. Is WebPage layout needed today ? dO ya think many customers someone could have when desiging some cool layouts (templatest) ???,

3) What are the normal rates of webdesigning ?,
    a) Webage Layout
    b) Graphics
    c)Logos
    d)Re-design solution,

I said normal rates, u know average.

4)What's the value of a website today?, you can take any exemple site, just to have an idea of what it's worth

5) What are the procedures when having a customer, a confirmation mail ??, chatting ???

6) How do payments take effect ?, do the customer send the money FIRST then you send the template, or the opposite?, how is it managed ? ( If you are a webdesigner, you can tell me how YOU do please ? )

7) Are clients easy to have, or difficult ?, i mean is it easy to have clients if you have a good site ?, (If you are a webdesigner, please tell me how many customers you get, an average, 5/year ?, or 5/day ?

Those questions are very flue to me, please answer them to help me and other webdesigner-wanted person,

Share with us your bad/experiences about the problems posted (1-7),

Regards,
    Brian
    BrianStudio - the webdesign company
    Professional & Affordable
    Brian Dove - Senior Graphic Designer
    Direct Hire: info@brianstudio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion is to check out some small web design businesses and ask them some of these questions. Also, you might want to change your signature(it's [] not <> ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't think that WebDesigners are missing around here,

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) anywhere from free - $150.oo p/h
    2) you already really answered your question. IF they are good, they will be towward the higher end on the $$$ if they really should be finding a job as a bar tender (ie:they suck) then no not really.
    3) dont know..
    4) anywhere from $0 - (whats yahoo, or ebay worth?)
    5) It depends on the client, some clients are fairly relaxed, if you get seriouse and technical they get confused and stressed... for these clients you have your mettings in less formal circumstances, then you have clients like teh one i have at the moment... wont go there... most of all you have to sence the person you are dealling with, there reactions and comments will straight away tell you what you are doing wrong.
    6) I work on a 1/3 upfront (before I start... use a trust fund and dont spend it all) then the remainder billed at the completion of the project... 30days to pay (happy customers will generally be ready to give you the cheque on completion)
    7) easy? NO! You have to work hard to get them, especially when starting out. then you have to work just as hard once you have them.. no sitting back letting the days go by. Currently im on my 3rd client this year doing a real estate site.. I have 1 organised to start in the near future (ie: 0-1 month)

worst part about designing websites??? it would have to be quoting... my method.. put a hat under a fan and charge what ever you pull out of the hat (joking) im sure there is a scientific answer to quoting, lord knows what it is tho

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Brian, welcome to the wonderful world of web design!!

First, I would like to say... from a guy with many years of Graphic Design and print experience, LEARN ABOUT BASIC DESIGN AND ART. Web design is not just HTML and JavaScript - make sure you have the basics of color, aesthetics, perspective, basic layout principles, etc.

And for the business side, there are a lot of people who can help you here but I would also reccommend the following book:

The Graphic Artists' Guild - Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines

You can get it at Amazon for under $40... and it's an INVALUABLE resource... great for learning basic business practices, contracts, pricing, how to handle clients, etc.

YES, there is a need for web designers... don't listen to anyone who says we'll all be out of a job soon... Our business has been growing steadily straight through this Internet depression, and people still need to be online.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, thanx,
    but the fact is that live in Mauritius, and island in the indian ocean which is not bigger than a rock. I don't have the possibilities to buy books here, especially , WEBDESIGN books, which is something unknown here in Mauritius. So, my only way of getting something and communicate with you americans is with internet. The only place where i can learn HTML or webdesign is through INTERNET. So i need ressources. I agree with you that i need to learn some basic layout rules, colors, art, perspective.... but could u give me a place to go and learn it. I mean not a simple tutorial of 2 pages that explain briefly but some real courses but free of charge. I know i'm asking some impossible, a course free of charge, but a least a good way of learning something. I mean i would like to REALLY learn Webdesign, not simple tutorials, but it also exists good tutorials that cover the main course of becoming a webdesigner. I would like to know this ressources if possible,

Cheers,
    BRian

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,

You have a computer and Internet access, are you positive you can't buy a book? My local bookstore has very few web designing and programming books, which is why I order them all online.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank god I live in Boston!

Wow, I would hate living in the middle of nowhere, no offense. But hey, amazon.com! I like books and I buy them often at stores though, not online.

This is all just my experience in answer to your question.

Question for you: Are you starting a design company or a development company? There's a difference.

1) We generally meet (in person, though possible online) and go over content. I have a laptop as do many of the others and sometimes we work at home, but we present the work. Content can come in the form of: books, photos, videos, slides, documents, notes, anything. One thing about being a web designer is that you have to know how to work with medium.

2) webdesigner does many things! many of those listed

3) depends on your quality and budget of client.

4) answered in previous posts i believe. varies from site to site.

5) procedures? Hm, i wouldn't know. Usually, ppl. just contact me.

6) depends on client. Usually, it's a check.

7) I currently have about 4-5 clients. Some I don't get paid for as I am just volunteering my services.

Brian, as I've recommended to you before in another thread, I advise against starting your own company because of your age. I advise you to find some company to work for, though now that I find you live in the middle of nowhere, I don't know how possible that is for you.

I think it'd be best for you to just learn technics/style for a while and see where you can go. Knowledge and experience in learning new things is more valuable than a paycheck.
    My computer: Dell Latitude CPx | P3 650/500 w/ 256 MB RAM | 15" 1024x768 | IE 5.5 DSL
    gO rEd SoX! | "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return" - Christian, Moulin Rouge
    l e a r n t o q u e s t i o n | c l i o 3 6 0

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,

have a look at http://webdesign.about.com - lots of excellent tutorials and helpful links!! Plus they're free