User Tag List

Thread: BurstMedia

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BurstMedia

Has anyone had recent success with BurstMedia? I just recently was accepted into their ad program, and I noticed CPM rates were extremely high compared to other adverts I was using. Are they fast with checks? Reliable? Cancel accounts readily?

Thanks.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been with them for awhile. They are reliable. Not fast. I believe they are what is called Net 90, which means that you get paid 90 days after the month is closed or something like that.

Unauthorized Web Theologian emmzee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been with Burst for ... probably 5 years now, and received a check on time every month. So you don't have to worry 'bout getting paid. They are indeed net90. Of course after those first couple months you'll get a check each month (delayed). Once you get used to their control panel (way too confusing, supposedly theres an update coming) they're a great company. Good CPM rates though they only fill about 30% of my inventory, the rest goes to other networks and/or CPA ads.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I'll chime in as well. It's a solid, reliable network. emmzee was spot-on; the system is antiquated right now, but due to the feedback they asked for a few months ago (and mostly due to the fantastic advice I shot their way) they hopefully will be pushing out a new control panel within the next year or so. And yes... the net 90 thing is a bit weird at first, but also like emmzee said, once you get past that initial 90 days you get a check every month, so that's not really an issue if you're looking beyond the short term mentality.

Sometimes you can get some killer campaigns through them (I've had absolutely outstanding weeks with them every now and then), but for the most part they don't have too many impressions to give you. I find that fine though; I filter my ads through them, they take a small, high-paid selection of them and then I default to the next network.

Definately solid, definately reliable though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I am having some problems with their CPANEL. Lo0ol, when you said you default to your next network, how exactly do you do this. All I can find in my CPANEL is the option to select a default leaderboard or a survey. I am using PHP New-Ads 2, so I have a Javascript source code I would like to be outputted instead of their defaults... is there a way to do this? Would I have to set the weight of the BurstnetDefaults to 0?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look for "Personal Campaigns" in the left menu on the index of the publisher area. That'll let you set defaults for each size. However, you can only set a maximum of 4 for any size, regardless of how many sites you have with them.

After you set one, you have to go to the place where you select campaigns for that size (and make sure you have the right site/ad code selected, if you have more than one) and then you'll see "Personal Campaign A" (or B/C/D - whatever one you put it in) and you'll need to check that and set a weighting.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add my praise of Burst too - good solid reliable company that always pays on time.

and on the subject of their 'personal campaigns' - I know they do look a bit complicated, but they are reasonably straight forward if you follow Patrick's advice above - do note that you need a non-rich media (ie. image/url) ad as well as defaults to other networks (unless they offer non rich media tags of course).

Cheers

Tim

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    Thanks everyone for your help. I have found all the links you are talking about, but I am still unsure as to how to have ads from my other networks show when BurstMedia has no more inventory.

When I click "Personal Campaign" I only have the "Image URL" and "HTML Web Page Url" options. The coding for the ads from other networks is many lines of HTML, and I don't see any place to put them. I'm also unclear as to what the "HTML Web Page URL" does and would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you enter a URL to you webpage containing default code from another network, you can serve your defaults from other networks through this way. You will also see a lot of survey ads or Burst Media house ads. You are not compensated for these. I hope they change this too.
    The Online Guide

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlineGuide
    If you enter a URL to you webpage containing default code from another network, you can serve your defaults from other networks through this way. You will also see a lot of survey ads or Burst Media house ads. You are not compensated for these. I hope they change this too.
    You can minimize the ratio of those that they display. I've also found that they're reasonably good to have to just take stock on your site's visitors. And I'm sure they aid in pumping your site up for advertisers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been with Burst for over 3 years and they always offer consistent competitive rates. They also will occasionally offer you targeted campaigns which pay very well. I'd join if I were you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Save the code for your default network in a file (by itself, just the code) and upload it to your webserver (like for example as fastclick.html). Then when you're on the "Personal Campaign" page, select the "HTML Web Page URL" option, and when the page reloads in the "HTML Web Page URL:" box enter the URL to that file with your default code in it, like http://www.yoursite.com/fastclick.html or whatever ... after you click the "Save New Redirect URL" button you'll be shown a preview so that you can see that it worked.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

Quote Originally Posted by Moreliator
    When I click "Personal Campaign" I only have the "Image URL" and "HTML Web Page Url" options. The coding for the ads from other networks is many lines of HTML, and I don't see any place to put them. I'm also unclear as to what the "HTML Web Page URL" does and would appreciate any help. Thanks!
    Take your code from your network and put it in an .html file. Just the code. Name it and upload it to your server somewhere. Then, go to Personal Campaigns and select HTML Web Page URL. Enter the URL of the .html file on your server that you want to use as the default.

That should do the trick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys what kind of average cpm are you seeing from burst, for which ad size and whats your site topic?

SitePoint Guru scotlandforvisit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its not so much the rates but the fill rate that bugs me. I have had a fill rate of 4% and that is with 50% US traffic (taken from Bursts own geotargetting)
    The newest sites in the online empire!Scotlands Culture
    Baby Names

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you tell me if they pay through paypal?

SitePoint Guru scotlandforvisit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, but they do direct transfer for a few international locations (such as UK-yippee!)
    The newest sites in the online empire!Scotlands Culture
    Baby Names

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do wire-transfers for sites in the U.S., Canada and the U.K.

-------------------
    Bob Hanna
    Senior VP & Cofounder
    BURST!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    burst's fill rates aren't that great... but what are great are the targetted campaigns. I have 2 nokia campaigns on my phone site currently and they're paying about $2.50 eCPM each

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks iFroggy and Emmzee! I had no idea you could just redirect it to a html page containing only the code.

Edit: It works! I have another question thought, regarding weighting. I have two defaults, one an HTML redirect that you just helped me with, another a plain banner. If I set the weight of the banner to 1 and the HTML one to 100, does that mean that the HTMl one will show 100 times for every time the plain banner is shown? Also, is this weighting ONLY for defaults? In other words, will defaults ONLY be shown when there is no burstmedia inventory left?

Thanks!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been with burst for years. Always get payment, eCPM usually over $1 for banners. Just wish the fill rate was better. I'm usually around 20-30% Some days as low as 5-10%. But I use them first in my chain then default to casale then fastclick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moreliator
    I have another question thought, regarding weighting. I have two defaults, one an HTML redirect that you just helped me with, another a plain banner. If I set the weight of the banner to 1 and the HTML one to 100, does that mean that the HTMl one will show 100 times for every time the plain banner is shown? Also, is this weighting ONLY for defaults? In other words, will defaults ONLY be shown when there is no burstmedia inventory left?
    From my understanding, you are correct. Burst is careful to point out that the #s you assign are not %'s, so they don't have to add up to 100. So if you had 3 defaults:

A) 10
    B) 3
    C) 1

A would show 10x as much as C ... and B would show 3x as much as C.

The weighting is only for defaults ... ie, Burst will always show a paid ad if possible before using your default ads.