SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question <H1> tag pushes the line down

To help with SEO, I have added a H1 tag to the title of the pages on my site and ammended it via:
    Code:
    <style>
    H1 {font-family: verdana,arial,helvetica; font-size: 10pt; color:#1D418B; font-weight: bold}
    </style>
    But what happens is it pushes down the line where the <H1>June Actress: Kate Winslet</H1> has been inserted:
    http://www.ukhotmovies.com/winslet/

There is an unwanted blank line between the 'Galleries' image and the next line which has the above text in H1.

Whereas, on this page, where I am just using
    Code:
    <font face="verdana" size=2 color="#1D418B"><b>
    Catherine Zeta-Jones</B>
    for the title it does not have a blank line:

http://www.ukhotmovies.com/zetajones/

How can I use H1 without the text being pushed down please?
    Azam Marketing, Inc.
    Award-Winning Digital Marketing and Design Results Since 1997
    Click here to read acclaimed online marketing & design blog

Winemaster bronze trophy BonRouge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if I understand you correctly because I didn't see a title on the second page, but maybe you want to do this :
    Code:
    h1 {
    margin:0;
    }

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if its doing it in IE usually "display: inline;" takes care of that extra space.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a side note: Your documents are not well formed, nor do they validate, and contain deprecated tags.

On topic: I'm not sure you fully understand what the h* tags are actually supposed to do. The H stands for header, then you can use any number from 1 through 6, where 1 is the largest. These tags are ultimately used for ..... wait for it .... content headers!

There is both padding, and margin set to these headers tags by the browser, just like every individual browser has their own default for body padding.

You must explicitly set these to correct your issue. Remember if you decide to use XHTML use small case markup, and they must be well formed to validate
    Equentity, LLC - Coming Soon

Have a question? Ask here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much trampt and bonrouge. Works a treat. Cheers

Pauly, you are right about the documents not being well formed. Created the pages when was learning HTML and no time to perfect the HTML now, as have nearly 70 websites with hundreds of pages in total.

Regarding deprecated tags, I have found this. What in specific do I need to change that could be causing me serious problems? Pges appear fine to me, so I don't want to waste days updating the coding just because current one is not constructed as per strict guidelines.

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it very much.
    Azam Marketing, Inc.
    Award-Winning Digital Marketing and Design Results Since 1997
    Click here to read acclaimed online marketing & design blog

SitePoint Enthusiast Wolfy_Websites's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try this:

What?
    Typo's aren't illegal you know...

I be lonely..add me to your msn contacts!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What in specific do I need to change that could be causing me serious problems? Pges appear fine to me, so I don't want to waste days updating the coding just because current one is not constructed as per strict guidelines.
    When taking these things into consideration, tell yourself, don't. You have to remember you're not designing for just today, you may well be designing for tomorrow, which is where you as a developer have to make the right decisions.

The chances are if it validates and works today, there's a 90% chance it will 'tomorrow' with the next generation of web browsers. Where as if you're using yesterdays technology today, who has a clue if it will work tomorrow? I don't, and I'm sure as hell our clients won't either.

70 sites is quite hard to maintain, but they need maintaing, and properly - Which is where a great deal of work comes from, and our pay cheques (checks), maintenance packages!

They may appear fine to you, and a lot of other people, but do you test on every platform and browser configuration available? Hell no one can do that, but they can test the majority.

You have to keep in mind that just because it works on one configuration doesn't mean it will on others, same with looking good, that's user preference dependant also, which is where WCAG compliance comes in (For client sites).

I find it 'ok' to not test so extremely for personal sites and non-commercial sites, but if someone is paying you to do a job, you should do it to the best of your ability. And by the sounds of things, you have great potential to learn and do good things!

Hope that helps.
    Equentity, LLC - Coming Soon

Have a question? Ask here