SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the impact on traffic depends on where you're getting the traffic from. If you're a search engine result a person's not going to know what ads are on the page before they click it.

If your traffic is mostly word of mouth then it would be important not to have an irritating quantity of ads otherwise people may not tell others about your site, or if they do it might be with a footnote, "PS it's covered with stupid ads, but try and ignore that".

If your traffic is mostly people linking to your site then you might find some people are hesitant to provide a link because they find your ads offensive.

Day 1 is the right time to put ads on your site as long as it's done tastefully, a single block of google ads or whatever.

There is never a right time to serve more than 2 advertisements in my opinion, but if you must then when you've got a significant following is the right time to do it. That might be a month after you launch, or 3 years later.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just depends, I'd say you could slap some Google Adsense Ads on there when you get 100 people a day.
    Last edited by moospot; Jun 30, 2005 at 03:43. Reason: self promotion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just try it! why wait???!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutter
    Blending Adsense into the design isn't always best. With 2500 a day you should have done a lot better! I've made my site designs much simpler and I believe that helps a lot.

You need to place ads in the right spots and have a little contrast -- Take a look at eyetools to see what I mean: http://blog.eyetools.net/

Most importantly test and retest format, colors, and placement! If you averaged 29 cents a day you have nothing at all to lose.

is there anymore websites that will teach me more about eyetools stuff...?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree wholeheartedly. If you have great content and no ads you can submit your site to niche directories and apply for awards with greater success.

Then I would do matching Adsense after a few months of link building. Once you have PR and traffic trading links becomes much easier. The ads (not too many) shouldn't hurt at this point.

Once you become an authority site, go for the big bucks with bright and alternating colors and stuff. Some English teachers have written me about the ads on www.eslgo.com - can't I make them less noticeable? Sure I could, but my link directory is PR 6 so everyone wants to trade links with me, and my conent is the best so teachers ahve to use my site regardless of the ads. I have a strong enough reputation that I can get away with the ads.

Quote Originally Posted by sid egg
    If you have good content, rip the banners off for a week/month/whatever, people are more likely to link to a non-commercial page from their blogs/personal websites.... in my experience.

I am not a licensed professional, and this is all facts from my broken brain. Fun.
    Buy links - SEO tips - web directory
    My travel blog - home of...
    the 1,000 dollar vacation writing contest.
    Can you write a vacation plan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also want to hold out on the ads if your going to burden yourself with trying to get into DMOZ.

As already pointed out, you are more likely to get some linkage if you don't have ads.

If you must have something, people (that would link to you) are most accepting of Adsense, especially if you keep it below the fold for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the amount of ads per page should ever change. Why not place the same amount that you will have in the future. As traffic grows, so will your income from them. The worst thing is when you keep adding ads because of growing popularity. That is the best way to bring a site down. If you focus long term, think about how much advertising vs. content you want to have and then keep it similar.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal opinion, is to start up with Ads. I usually, would have some sort of sidebar advertisement, or a footer advertisement, depending on the layout etc.

I personally, use AdBlock with Firefox, and I have set up so rarely, do I actually see Ads, unless I want to (For some sites, I choose to, because I know they are paid by impression and I want them to stay open)

Other then that, make a simple ad. Text-Based causes less lag to your website, if users complain reccomend AdBlock etc. But then your taking away your own money.

Usually, for most of the websites I have created, I've made some sort of payment and free plan, and in the situation where they aren't paying, they will have advertisements.

For example, I made a fansite once, it was sorta a shopping mall - For the free users, they had pesky ads inside their little shopping places; while the paid didn't. Therefore, their loaded faster, and whatnot. But in both sitautions, the lag was totally bearable even on 56k.

But, make sure your Advertisements aren't affecting the speed of browsing, don't have those annoying "shoot me and win an IPOD" crap, do some simple text-ads from like bidclix or adsense - Make it simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maycs Macerich I just strated those

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camino
    Do ads really influence traffic? I doubt that my traffic would pick up if I removed ads. Initially was very hestiant to put ads on my sites but having done so and reaped the $ rewards I'd never go back. As in the newspaper game it's good content that draws the visitors back and ads that pay the bills.
    The more ads I see on the site the less professional I think of it - this is especially true with sites where I'm thinking of buying something - I won't trust a site with tons of advertisements and therefore won't buy from it - a couple well placed ads is fine - but some sites overdo it.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you offer valuable content try now.
    Do not worry about traffic. If your pages are crowlered by SE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice, guys. The new site will be replacing this pile of crap. There will be only one Google ad up, as opposed to the 47,637 ads that are up now. I hope to add more content, and scans/photoshoots before the release. Feel free to post any feedback on the new design.

I'm thinking of going with raw popups also, but I hear that they're dead because of blockers being the standard with browsers now, any views on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say first and foremost, whether you have ads or not they need to be secondary to the content.

It doesn't matter how good your content is if the pages are loaded with ads, or no one will ever link to you. On the other hand, if your content is great, users won't mind adverts as long as they're not too intrusive. You can push that line once you feel you're stable enough to test it of course.
    Looking for people to post on an Adult forum.
    Must be cheap or willing to trade posts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took the ads down, re-designed, and now there is only one Google ad up, the only problem is, I keep getting PSAs, even though half of my site has been crawled by Google. I'm thinking of finding another CPC network, does anyone know of any alternatives? Or should I wait, and give AdSense a chance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont put ads unless your website receive good amount of traffic.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicbox
    dont put ads unless your website receive good amount of traffic.
    Why not? It isn't like you're paying the advertising companies. THEY'RE paying YOU. Plus, if you place them correctly, and not too excessively, users won't mind.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, i would use clicksor. they are great i use it on TutorialSelect.com and kenzey.com. . they pay thru paypal how good is that?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often tell people to wait until 100,000 page views a month before implementing ads. But if you've done all your link building and built all your content and still do not reach that level then you might as well implement ads and move on to another site.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums