SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Opinions on SitePointís Front Pageís Newsletter sign up section.

I just posted this in my blog

Today I observed two things on SitePoint's Front Page's Newsletter Section -

1. They have no SignUp Form there and are making people visit another page to signup for theirnewsletters!!!

You really should be more inclined to make it easy for your visitors rather than making it difficult. And, here, SitePoint is doing the later.

2. Subscribe to a SitePoint Newsletter links to exactly the same page as the Newsletter Archives link does. This is plain confusing and when I first saw it, I thought that I had found a bug to be reported.
    I thought that I'd post it here too so that SP staff can see it ( Though I am sure that Matt reads my blog and my forum religiously but still... )

$this->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you saying this is confusing? There is a signup link in the lower right corner. What more do you want? It isn't practical to put every bit of a site's functionality within the home page. Personally, I think the way they've done works just fine.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    Showcase your music collection on the Web

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyl-junkie
    Why are you saying this is confusing? There is a signup link in the lower right corner. What more do you want? It isn't practical to put every bit of a site's functionality within the home page. Personally, I think the way they've done works just fine.
    There is a signup link in the lower right corner. It isn't practical to put every bit of a site's functionality within the home page. Personally, I think the way they've done works just fine.
    Usability and Best Practices Issues!

I am not saying that SPF has to follow them BUT these are the best practices which offer better results... Not following them will also give you results and keep people happy but they will be in smaller number than what you will have if you follow those best practices.

$this->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is missing from a usability/accessibility standpoint? I don't get it.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    Showcase your music collection on the Web

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there was something about no having a signup form before you give the visitors a chance to see the newsletter posted somewhere. I am guessing that they changed it because of this suggestion.

I personally like it this way, as I would never subscribe to a newsletter, I had never seen.