SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Designing according your client's wishes

I am currently working on a design that I absolutely hate. I am incorporating my client's wishes, and I feel my design is looking uglier and uglier with each change. How do you handle pleasing your client's needs and your own at the same time? I am ready to shout "I QUIT!" ... But I won't do that, of course, because its not professional and I understand my client is the one who needs to be happy. This project is one that I will probably invest hundreds of hours into (it's a huge project), and, ultimately, I will probably opt not to add it to my portfolio, which further adds to my frustration. How do you handle situations like this? What do you do when your vision and your client's vision do not mesh?
    Joanne Glasspoole
    www.glasspoole.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest you have to learn to live with it. We have designed sites for clients we hate but if after explaining the way of the world to them you as a professional follow their desires. Sometimes though you can work around.
    We recently designed a fairly normal static site for a company that is fairly old-fashioned in its outlook. They told us in the brief the site was to be developed in this way. At a meeeting to tie up some loose ends they asked us what we thought. Being honest we told them we thought it was boring and did not give off the "buy me" attitude they needed to improve their business profile. We have now been asked to design a much more interesting high impact site and they are paying for both sites.

The moral of the story the customer is always right until he finds out he's wrong

PsiFox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just go easy on them.. i have this one client at the moment who is so picky it is not funny. The site has been re-designed 6 times (colours, layout, logo, ect...ect...) I was about ready to bash the guys head in. the best thing i did was say no, in my opinion this will work better, hence we should do it this way... no, this will be more pleasing for your audience, compatible yadda yadda yadda...
    Remember you are the profesional, you know what you are doing, just explain to him what you are doing and why (getting technical helps, if you confuse them they will see they dont know what they are talking about and cant argue.) or alternatively, sit down with him and get him to show you exactly what he wants, say it is getting to the stage where if anything needs to be changed it has to be done NOW!

i hope you are charging per hour, for the extra work he creates...

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like what someone said in another thread. the customer is always right. If after talking to them, reaosning with them, etc., they still want it their way...great. They are always right...and they can be right with another designer.
    Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of this (95% of clients) are solved by simple a simple project management approach.

Get all the info, get the justification, get them to sign off on it, then they have no input until you show them an unworking prototype (unless you need their input).

If they approve the prototype (all changes need to be reflected from the project management docs and deficiencies must be shown) they don't see anything again until the testing stage where you bring in a core group of users to test features, get input. You then expand this group (we typically do 3 groups. 1 of 5 people, 1 of 50, 1 of 500) until you get a good balance between client satisfactino and user "this is great"dom.

Some project management docs I've done up for the community are here: http://server2.tacf.org/examples/red...rojectdocs.zip

Hope it helps.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is a reasonable amount to charge per hour for a guy that is just now getting to where I can do pretty much what a customer can dream up (except database driven sites)?

I've always wondered about this . . . . .

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on a million and 1 factors.

Between 12-50$/hour.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, there really isn't anything *to* do when a client wants to make a design ugly. Check out this article: http://www.alistapart.com/stories/clientdidit/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Rockrz
    What is a reasonable amount to charge per hour for a guy that is just now getting to where I can do pretty much what a customer can dream up (except database driven sites)?

I've always wondered about this . . . . .
    take a look @ this link page. http://www.wpdfd.com/resources/Business.htm There are some great sites on pricing including http://provider.com/howtoset.htm

Dogma
    my Karma ran over your Dogma err my Dogma ran over your Karma
    CAK design Web and Graphic Design
    WebMafiaForums Admin

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the charge per hour post... personally I think $15 - $50 per hour is way too low. Our regular hourly rate is $85/hr.

We charge by the hour on EVERYTHING. Simple page layout, copy, image scanning, etc. is charged at $65/hr. Programming, all forms of design, navigation, etc. are billed at $85/hr.

Check out the Graphic Artists' Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines for reasonable pricing and good info. I've found it to be an invaluable tool.

Also, I strongly believe that the customer is always right. We have designed SEVERAL sites that I would never even admit to designing... but that's what the client wanted. We offer our advice and professional opinions, and always let them know if they're breaking any of the age-old rules of web design (blinking text, multi-colored text on black background, too many colors in color scheme, etc.) but what they decide to do in the end is their choice.