SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No wonder everyone uses google...

I needed to find something online, as you do. I thought I might give MSN and Yahoo (instead of google) a try since I have never really used these engines to much. I was quite surprised about the quality (or lack of it) of the sites that MSN and Yahoo returned in their top 10.

Now I was searching for something specific. I was using terms like "scuba diving holidays red sea" and "scuba diving liveabords egypt" etc etc.

Many of the results returned by MSN and especially Yahoo looked something like this:

Title:
    Scuba diving holidays egypt, dive gear, liveaboards, dive holidays, diving

Description:
    ... Sea diving center Scuba Diving Resorts , Scuba Gear , Alpha Red Sea diving center Scuba Diving Holidays , Alpha Red Sea diving center Scuba Diving Certification , Alpha Red Sea diving center Scuba Diving, Diving, Scuba, Scaba gear sales ...

URL:
    http://www.x.com/redsea/redseascubad...vingscuba.html

All I am presented with is keywords! When I actually got onto some of these sites, the site was a general "worldwide diving holiday guide" or something like that.

So back to google I went, where I found results.

/rant

Application Developer shabbirbhimani's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I am presented with is keywords! When I actually got onto some of these sites, the site was a general "worldwide diving holiday guide" or something like that
    The reason behind this is Yahoo and MSN are on page factor driven SE and so if you put keywords in Hx and title you can be on top in Yahoo and MSN but not in Google as its more driven by backlinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -Pulse-
    I needed to find something online, as you do. I thought I might give MSN and Yahoo (instead of google) a try since I have never really used these engines to much. I was quite surprised about the quality (or lack of it) of the sites that MSN and Yahoo returned in their top 10.

Now I was searching for something specific. I was using terms like "scuba diving holidays red sea" and "scuba diving liveabords egypt" etc etc.

Many of the results returned by MSN and especially Yahoo looked something like this:

Title:
    Scuba diving holidays egypt, dive gear, liveaboards, dive holidays, diving

Description:
    ... Sea diving center Scuba Diving Resorts , Scuba Gear , Alpha Red Sea diving center Scuba Diving Holidays , Alpha Red Sea diving center Scuba Diving Certification , Alpha Red Sea diving center Scuba Diving, Diving, Scuba, Scaba gear sales ...

URL:
    http://www.x.com/redsea/redseascubad...vingscuba.html

All I am presented with is keywords! When I actually got onto some of these sites, the site was a general "worldwide diving holiday guide" or something like that.

/rant
    MSN are currently in workings to improve the accuracy of results it gives.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yukimushu
    MSN are currently in workings to improve the accuracy of results it gives.
    I think you can say that of every search engine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    I received a newsletter the other day talking about how MSN had indentified that it's search results can be way off target; and how they are currently working on improving the accuracy of the results.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yukimushu
    I received a newsletter the other day talking about how MSN had indentified that it's search results can be way off target; and how they are currently working on improving the accuracy of the results.
    Seriously, are you surprised?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the end of the day, if I were Mr Joe Blog average net surfer I would definately be using Google. And if MSN and Yahoo don't bring their results up to speed, their popularity will continue to drop and Googles will continue to rise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally like Yahoo better right now. I think they are very relevant after having used Google for the past 5 years. Google is still the best for really specific searches, though so I use both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the fact that it's so easy to get to the top on MSN is what's having such a negative impact on their search results. Anyone can simply fill a page with keyword spam, and get a top listing. Makes things easy for webmasters, but it certainly isn't the way to be building a high quality search engine.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WealthStream
    I guess the fact that it's so easy to get to the top on MSN is what's having such a negative impact on their search results. Anyone can simply fill a page with keyword spam, and get a top listing. Makes things easy for webmasters, but it certainly isn't the way to be building a high quality search engine.
    It's reminiscent of the old Astalavista. And we all know that's why they went downhill. But at least MSN is trying to improve their results. Altavista just stagnated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were a regular Joe Blog internet user, i'd use google... they've got their name around, everyone knows who they are, you think search engines and google is the first thing that comes to mind!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a heavy Google user over the years, I find myself going more and more to Yahoo!. I seem to be getting more relevant searches there lately.

Guess it just depends on what you are searching for at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I think Google is not what it once was.
    I prefer Yahoo and MSN now, but have also been using Dogpile lately.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to say this... but I think Yahoo is actually delivering superior results.

Let's say you are looking for something for your home... and you use the keyword 'home' Unless you are one of the 5 people living on the International Space Station, NASA has nothing to do with the keyword 'home'. The only reason the home depot is ranked for that keyword is because they are using the same site navigation as NASA .. not because it's relevent.

Yahoo:
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=hom...&cop=&ei=UTF-8

Google:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=home
    InterActive Marketing - SEO and SEM for Ad Agencies.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -Pulse-
    /rant
    I think you are telling tall tales.

I used both of those search words you provided in both Google and Yahoo. Both search engines provided quality, relevant results. In my opinion Yahoo was better.

I did not try MSN. MSN does have some work to do to catch up.

One thing, however, that you WON'T see in the Google results are newer websites because Google suppresses them by putting them in the sandbox. So if you want more relevant, timely information, DON'T use Google.

Honestly, there could be a website out there created in the past 4 months that is better than all the rest and you'd never know it using Google because they suppress the results.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shabbirbhimani
    The reason behind this is Yahoo and MSN are on page factor driven SE and so if you put keywords in Hx and title you can be on top in Yahoo and MSN but not in Google as its more driven by backlinks.
    Let me ask you something: if someone requests that you link to them, do you do it? I wouldn't. I would need a major, legitimate reason to link to someone. Links aren't easy to get. UNLESS you are using link exchanges and other BS tricks to get links just for the sake of impressing Google and their stupid algorithm.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Yeah, especially Google.

Google's work to improve results:

If web page age is under 1 year old, current, AND content is relevant, suppress result.

Who cares about relevancy? Let's just give high page ranks to people who engage in link exchanges with other people. Yeah, nothing is more important than bogus, irrelevant links to improve your placement in search results!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Founder
    I hate to say this... but I think Yahoo is actually delivering superior results.
    Why in the world would you hate to say that??? Are you a Googlelover? Are you blinded by the Google?

How about this: be happy that there is a good search engine out there no matter what company it's from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google is more accurate, but first results in google I don't care about them,why? cause those sites are high in PR that requires time and maybe money .. I search for new things for free that's why I use yahoo for free search
    ----
    I notice Yahoo is better for spamming websites .. well, If my website has the word 'Egypt' and other sites have same word, it will choose the most repeated 'Egypt' in a page! that would support spam.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil ..
    .. is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Baboon
    Being a heavy Google user over the years, I find myself going more and more to Yahoo!. I seem to be getting more relevant searches there lately.

Guess it just depends on what you are searching for at the time.
    Ditto.

Application Developer shabbirbhimani's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motumbo
    Links aren't easy to get.
    Thats why Google targets that.

Quote Originally Posted by motumbo
    UNLESS you are using link exchanges and other BS tricks to get links just for the sake of impressing Google and their stupid algorithm.
    Not necessarily. If you have some good content people will link to you.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would put Teoma 2nd to GOogle.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Evangelist Expressweb's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but yes Google gives exactly what you seek , google is better for searchers and bad for SEO and web developers specially new entires

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Considering that Google is there for searchers and not webmasters I'd say they're doing just fine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Expressweb
    google is better for searchers and bad for SEO and web developers specially new entires
    Every search engine should ideally be like this, otherwise it's kinda useless