SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Massimiliano Bruno Giordano sid egg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WhenU / Other Adware Companies / Writing My Own

I don't want this to become an argument about how good/bad adware is. Adware is a good thing, it keeps free software free, while still making the author earn money. Good adware (WhenU) does not screw up your computer.

For those who are unaware (I just got blocked on MSN for telling someone this ) the Google Toolbar and Opera are both adware. The Google Toolbar shows you advertisements when you use it (adsense on search results page), and Opera shows you advertisements when you browse with it.

Adware or advertising-supported software is any computer program or software package in which advertisements or other marketing material [is included...]
    --- Now on to the actual topic at hand ---

Now, has anyone had any experience with WhenU that they'd like to share, they only accept semi-large partners, I know a few webmasters making a good living off WhenU alone.

On the same topic, does anyone have experience with some of the other credible adware companies? Not things like LoudCASH which is bad adware, because they aren't up-front about it, and they don't really tell you what it does, definately not Top-Converting because they bundle with a half million other adwares, but any other credible adware companies you've worked with?

I know the Kazaa one (uh, what the hell was it called, edit, Cydoor), was bad, and now apparently they've cleaned up a bit, but I think they still show popups on your desktop, even when you aren't using it, I definately don't want that, because it's annoying... I wouldn't show popups on my site, I definately wouldn't show them on someones desktop.

I'm considering just writing my own Adware and using CPA networks (Azoogle) as the ads, I'm pretty sure they're okay with that, I won't be doing pops or anything like that, probably just a 'search helper" or something... It really has to be useful, because I want people to want to have it. Maybe a search-box thing that searches lots of major search engines, and show's my ads? Any ideas on that aspect?
    Last edited by sid egg; Jun 25, 2005 at 10:34.
    GamesLib.com - the slickest, most complete and
    easily navigatible flash games site on the web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When-U experience from a parallel universe?
    Released under the Fiasco Labs Digital Damnation Copywright,
    it's yours to make whatever the 7734 you want with it.

(c) 2005 Fiasco Labs All Wrongs Reserved

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sid egg
    the Google Toolbar and Opera are both adware. The Google Toolbar shows you advertisements when you use it (adsense on search results page), and Opera shows you advertisements when you browse with it.
    This must be one of the stupidest things I have read in a long time...

fad (n): a craze; interest... Fahd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While technically adware refers to ad supported programs, adware has long come to mean malicious and unethical ad supported software. Whenu/Claria is clearly malicious/unethical, or at least was.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sid egg
    the Google Toolbar and Opera are both adware. The Google Toolbar shows you advertisements when you use it (adsense on search results page)
    I think it's nothing to do with Google Toolbar, it shows them without it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fryman
    This must be one of the stupidest things I have read in a long time...
    I love fryman.

I think it's nothing to do with Google Toolbar, it shows them without it.
    Very true, however, the search-engine that the search bar for MyWay Search that is bundled with SmileyCentral uses also shows ads anyways, yet it's considered adware.

Whenu/Claria is clearly malicious/unethical, or at least was.
    How so? Removing it is simple (Add/Remove Programs) and works perfectly, there is always a page in the installer dedicated to the fact that it is being installed, with an unchecked-checkbox you have to check, and screenshots (i think it is a requirement to show this page, now) and all it does is show you a search bar with targetted ads (to what you've searched on the search bar)...

How is that Malicious OR Unethical?

Now, I said I didn't want this thread to be about the general-public's misconceptions about adware.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe certain adware programs will hijack affiliate links -- so if someone is on my page and clicks a link to buy a product, the adware-maker gets the commission, not me!

That is both malicious and unethical, and I honestly hope that you have the clarity to see that.
    Andy Powell
    Dumb Laws, Real Haunted Houses, Dumb Criminals, Actual Aliens
    I buy sites with original content. PM me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP
    I believe certain adware programs will hijack affiliate links -- so if someone is on my page and clicks a link to buy a product, the adware-maker gets the commission, not me!

That is both malicious and unethical, and I honestly hope that you have the clarity to see that.
    That is definately unethical/malicious because it's blatent stealing, adware that replaces ads/affiliate links is bad. I even consider Gator bad because it shows the (it's own) affiliate links right beside the webpage (context-sensitive), so if you were selling widgets, or promoting a widgets affiliate link, there'd be another widgets link on the side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, that is theft, plain and simple. In most cases, I'm strongly opposed to regulating the internet, but this is one those things that needs to be made completely illegal (if it isn't already). I can't imagine anyone involved in affiliate programs disagreeing with me on that.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WealthStream
    Yes, that is theft, plain and simple. In most cases, I'm strongly opposed to regulating the internet, but this is one those things that needs to be made completely illegal (if it isn't already). I can't imagine anyone involved in affiliate programs disagreeing with me on that.
    It is theft, I completely agree, however, not all adware companies are bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind the ones that have some sort of mistyped url redirection page (eg. iGetNet search bar), but simply can't stand the ones that launch aggressive popups every few minutes while I'm surfing. Even so, I don't think those should necessarily be illegal so long as they have an easy uninstall process. If someone chooses to have popup generating software, that's up to them. It's just not something I want cluttering up my hard drive.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WealthStream
    I don't mind the ones that have some sort of mistyped url redirection page (eg. iGetNet search bar), but simply can't stand the ones that launch aggressive popups every few minutes while I'm surfing. Even so, I don't think those should necessarily be illegal so long as they have an easy uninstall process. If someone chooses to have popup generating software, that's up to them. It's just not something I want cluttering up my hard drive.
    Mistyped URLs are fine, as long as they don't do something like DNS error hi-jacking, because quite often, the times DNS errors occur is when the internet is disconnected, thus, you'll result in an infinite loop.

Popups every few minutes are bad, I have nothing against popups (rare), however, I wouldn't use them.

Easy uninstall process is key to "good" adware.