SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever considered advertising in an unrelated key term on Adwords/Overture?

Before you shoot me down right away, think about this... if you are advertising your site in a related, but not directly related category.. for example for my student resource site... I would advertise in just say video game key words because they have the same general market. I would think the chances of viewers actually clicking on the ads would be slim because they are not what they are searching for but you still get your site description projected.

Opinions? Its been a long day at work so forgive me if that made absolutely no sense

-Chris

fad (n): a craze; interest... Fahd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad idea on adwords, due to CTR playing a role. On Overture, it wouldn't be that bad. Then again I don't think it'd be worth the trouble. Why do you feel the need to do this? Not enough traffic? I would look into refining/fine tuning keywords and maybe even increasing your max CPC a bit to get the initial burst in CTR to keep you on top even after that should you feel the need to lower your CPC again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably not such a good idea. Most of the traffic you get from something like this would be from people who were "just curious", or "clicked by accident", not those who are really interested buyers, searching for what you have to offer.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

SitePoint Enthusiast ClickForDeals's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the record, I agree with everything being said here, it just seems like common sense... but, if you really are curious, you could set up a small campaign just to test this theory. There's a high probablity that it'll go to waste, but if you don't try, you'll never know.

Just playing devil's advocate though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good or Bad ROI regardless of it on google you will not get the required CTR and on overture and other decent ppc engines you wont get trough the editorial review. So while technically speaking your plan can work in reality it just wont happen!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One technique for using other keywords

We, somewhat successfully, advertised our cable manager with the keyword "ipod." We offered and ipod a prize for organizing computer cables. To avoid uniterested buyers we only targeted sites with likely buyers as visitors. Plus we figured there was a pretty good chance that people interested in iPods had computers and we know everyone with a computer has mess cables.
    Scott

http://www.Cable-Safe.com
    Desktop Cable Managment

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no required CTR if your google ads are shown only on the content network and not on google search.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, from my limited experience, I wouldn't want those visitors. I tend to target Adwords very directly and don't display ads to anyone who searches for anything the slightest bit irrelevant. I will ban use of words like "free" or "cheap." I haven't used Adwords much, but that's just my general strategy when I do use it.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by axeman
    There is no required CTR if your google ads are shown only on the content network and not on google search.

Are you 100 percent sure of this? I didn't know that, because I do not trust the 'content' aspect and rarely ever check that option, but is that really true, that there is no CTR for just 'content' campaigns?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think there's no CTR limit for content campaigns. CTRs on content campaigns are so low that I don't think Google wanted to set a minimum.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, 100%.

Also the adds that run on content are less effective in two ways. 1.More impressions and far less clicks. 2. lower quality clicks than someone who was searching versus happening to see your ad on some other site and was curios enough to click. Possibly good for branding though.
    Poker
    Online DVD Movie Rental
    Stock Market Timing
    All the above are open for link trades of all sorts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possibly good for branding though.
    right - thats what I would be going for because a lot more teens are searching for video game related stuff than educational stuff so I can pick up interested teens that way