SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Promotional products experience.

Tell us about your promotional products experience, Im trying now to give away some mouse pads, t shirts and other things, what worked best for you?

What company did you use and how much did it cost?

Looking forward hearing from you.
    Tutorials Search Engine: FindTutorials

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tshirts work best for my sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What site? which company are you using to sell and print them, please provide more details in order to help us all. thanks.
    Tutorials Search Engine: FindTutorials

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindSP.com
    What site? which company are you using to sell and print them, please provide more details in order to help us all. thanks.
    muchatv.com I did 1.000 nice tshirts (not your usual plain white or one color fruit of the loom tshirt). That took away all my income for a year but since then I do see a big increase in "type in" or "no referral" accesses and 10% get an account in the website. Of course I can't know for sure if the t-shirts are the reason but I see no other reason for this to happen.

I used my own services (my company other than "themed websites" does web design, hosting and publicity material for smb's). Call some smb in you area that does this kind of job and ask for a quote.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apastor
    muchatv.com I did 1.000 nice tshirts (not your usual plain white or one color fruit of the loom tshirt). That took away all my income for a year...
    Wow, thats a pretty big risk, but it sounds like it payed off if you saw a large increase.

I got about 35 shirts made (and I still have about half of them to give away). I noticed a slight increase in traffic about a month after I gave away the first 10 or so shirts. But with something like t-shirts, its way to hard to tell if it is working for you or not, so I probably won't try that again unless I plan on selling them or something.

fad (n): a craze; interest... Fahd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the kind of site and your objective. I've been giving away tshirts, pens, mousepads, keychains, mugs, bumper stickers, just about it everything for almost a year now. Expensive but works out for me since my main objective right now is branding.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Promos are great if used correctly

I have come over to the IT world from the print and document world. In my past life, promotional items were an invaluable tool to make people remember you and your company. I personally liked things that would sit on a desk and constantly remind people of the company. Coffee mugs, pencil cups, mouse pads, etc. Anything that keeps your company name in front of the customer is a good thing. I would be terrified to spend a years worth of profits on tee-shirts, but if it worked... Just find what feels right for you, do not jump in with both feet and test market a few different ideas. See what works best. Let your sales volume tell you what your customers like about your promotional items. Also, make sure they are high quality, a poor quality promotional item can send the wrong message about you and your company and that never helps sales.
    Whit Lee
    BVCommerce Shopping Cart Software
    BVSoftware
    BVCommerce

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by L3e
    Wow, thats a pretty big risk, but it sounds like it payed off if you saw a large increase.

I got about 35 shirts made (and I still have about half of them to give away). I noticed a slight increase in traffic about a month after I gave away the first 10 or so shirts. But with something like t-shirts, its way to hard to tell if it is working for you or not, so I probably won't try that again unless I plan on selling them or something.
    Not really. I get factory prices because as I said I sell them so 1000 tshirts cost me what most people cost 500. It took me about 5 months to distribute the tshirts.

By the way, I spent 0 in sending them. If people wanted them they had to come to our office to get them or pay postage for themself.

That assured me people invested either time or money in getting them so chances were they would not have them lost somewhere in the back of their closet.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, I spent 0 in sending them. If people wanted them they had to come to our office to get them or pay postage for themself.

That assured me people invested either time or money in getting them so chances were they would not have them lost somewhere in the back of their closet.
    Another way to look at it is...

You got your most rabid supporters (who already visited the site religiously) to pick up t-shirts. As they were already rabid supporters it most likely wouldn't have impacted their behaviour so you are hoping that when people see the shirt they ask about it or visit the site.

Earlier you stated that you had no means to track the success of the campaign but it cost you a year's revenue.

I don't think I would recommend that anyone spend a year's revenue on advertising that they can't quantify a ROI from. Better to dump that money into advertising or another quantifiable measure.

Massimiliano Bruno Giordano sid egg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think doing something like Cafepress at minimum price could work well if you have a good T-Shirt design. Costs you nothing, doesn't cost them a lot.
    GamesLib.com - the slickest, most complete and
    easily navigatible flash games site on the web.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709
    Another way to look at it is...

You got your most rabid supporters (who already visited the site religiously) to pick up t-shirts. As they were already rabid supporters it most likely wouldn't have impacted their behaviour so you are hoping that when people see the shirt they ask about it or visit the site.

Earlier you stated that you had no means to track the success of the campaign but it cost you a year's revenue.

I don't think I would recommend that anyone spend a year's revenue on advertising that they can't quantify a ROI from. Better to dump that money into advertising or another quantifiable measure.

Before the tshirts 90% of my entries where googlish. 5% direct entries (either written or favourites). Since the tshirts went out and for about 10 months the number of google referrals kept being the same in total numbers but only accounted for 70% of all acesses while direct entries went to about 25-28%.

And I do not have rabid supporters. Better said, I did not have rabid supporters. Since the tshirts where done I have a few.

And I do not recommend spending all you advertisers revenue either if that's all you make but advertising money is 1% or less of what my company makes. Web design is my main income.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I do not recommend spending all you advertisers revenue either if that's all you make but advertising money is 1% or less of what my company makes. Web design is my main income.
    Now you've gone and changed the rules :P

Your first post said you spent all your revenue for a year on these shirts, this post says you spent 1% of your revenue.

Hey if it's 1% throw it at the wall and see if it sticks

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709
    Now you've gone and changed the rules :P

Your first post said you spent all your revenue for a year on these shirts, this post says you spent 1% of your revenue.

Hey if it's 1% throw it at the wall and see if it sticks
    I spent all the revenue the site in question made.