SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb How to Optimise Links to Web Design Company from Clients Websites?

Hi Guys,

This is my first post so try to be easy on me. I read the blogs quite often but I think what I am really itching for, is someone with some practitcal experience in the field I am looking for. Any constructive comments will be appreciated.

I run a web design company here in Australia and I have a bunch of clients so far (nothing notable) as this is a new venture. I know a little bit of SEO and have worked with a good (but not great) SEO guy in person on occasion. So far when developing websites my SEO has only gone to the extent of adding "Website Design by Company, Location" text links to the bottom of every page on my clients websites. I am starting to realise the more I read the value of diluted links and various other factors that wouldn't allow this method to work the best.

At this point in the business we are poised to have a lot of work coming in. I'm talking 2-3 complete websites per week. I plan to make these completely content full (while still being unique), add appropriate seach engine friendly urls, link it all together nicely, not have too many open holes or links out and place some nice links from our network of websites to get them going in the rankings. The only dilemma I find is, what is the best way to get the text links back to our company from every website we create?

I mean obviously if we are creating that many websites, we will want to milk the backward links as much as possible - but what is the best way?

I thought about maybe making a "Credits" page on the main navigation that maybe linked to /web-site-design-credits etc. and then placing a lot of nicely done keyworded information into a page and then one solid link at the bottom of the content? The only problems I can see with this are A. Content Duplication? We would have to rewrite the content for every client to keep it fresh on not duplicated? yes? B. Will this harvest enough link popularity, or are we just better doing the same old link back at the bottom of a page. This method provides a link from a 2nd level page whereas the bottom of page links provide many links from all pages of the website.

I cant think of any other methods off the top of my head. Maybe some people here have already done this and can support a method they have used? Just thinking about this stuff can send me a bit crazy so hopefully someone with a cool head and maybe some expertise in the webdev field can point me in the right direction. I need some kind of strategy here that will work well and be scalable for the long run.

Kind Regards,

Blaze T

(yes that is my real name)
    Last edited by blazet; Jun 23, 2005 at 08:16.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know its a long post so I hope people arent skipping it, but no-one has any ideas for this? Its an opportunity I'm sure a lot of SEO people would love to have control over (and most likely do in their own ways)... I'm just interested in what you find is the best way to get the best rankings.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive always added a link at the bottom of my clients sites (actually have it in the contract too) that says website design - programming by dcddesigns .... its done fairly well for me as we are now a PR 5 site, mostly from that i think

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that's basically it?

I appreciate this is a valid way of doing it but surely there is some way it would create more value for the links on the search engines when you have access to create so many client website in a way that you wish.... or isn't there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Naturally, the "designed by" links being at the bottom of the page will not get as much attention from bots as they would if they were higher up in the page.

This doesn't mean "stick your link up the top of the page"; you've got to remember that your client is paying you to make them a website - Don't get to carried away with the whole "promoting yourself on their site".

A "<a>web design by company name</a>" link is much better than a "web design by <a>company name</a>" link because it's descriptive and has two of your keywords in it (your company name, and your company's target (web design))

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, surely with css though you could put it at the top of every page but display it at the bottom? or could you get penalised by google etc for doing so?

What about the stategy I suggested in regards to credit page?

What about even having a few links like Web Design, Hosting & Marketing by Company Name - and having the first 3 links point towards http://web-design.company.come etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blazet
    What about even having a few links like Web Design, Hosting & Marketing by Company Name - and having the first 3 links point towards http://web-design.company.come etc?
    I'm not too sure; though it wouldn't supprise me if such engines as Google considered that to be spamming...
    Last edited by yukimushu; Jun 26, 2005 at 08:10.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? So in my company i couldnt have special divisions such as tv-repair.company.com & food-products.company.com (think of how many products 3m make).. and if my clients use 3 of those services? Why couldnt I link to those 3 divisions at the bottom of every page.

Also back to the matter at hand, anyone got any strategies for my situation?

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you start requiring 4 links on clients sites you're soon going to run out of clients.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    Ive always added a link at the bottom of my clients sites (actually have it in the contract too) that says website design - programming by dcddesigns .... its done fairly well for me as we are now a PR 5 site, mostly from that i think
    We follow the same practice. One link at the bottom of the home page only that links out to a new page. If it's in the contract and the client agrees great. We've had very few refuse to allow the link. This will help your PR as long as you do a good job at promoting your clients and getting them good PR.
    All Seattle Web Design Website Design and Promotions
    Frist Stop Shops Online Shopping Mall Online Store Promotions

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeJeck
    If you start requiring 4 links on clients sites you're soon going to run out of clients.
    Not really. Most of my clients dont care and if you make them not "blue and underlined" (ie: if you keep it simple) they wont even worry too much about it anyway. But thats just in my experience.

Technical Director at StuckOn JakeCop's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the three links, and position it at the bottom with CSS (I position everything with CSS as I've long since abandoned tables) but have it early in the code.

I have:

<a>website design</a> and <a>Hosted</a> by <a>company name</a>

It's small, it's text, and it's at the bottom of the page. In the code it's at the top though, nothing wrong with that!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ Exactly... thats fine. If you do a good enough job they dont care what small text is down the bottom... whereas we do