User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using PSD files in Dreamweaver

I have read articles recently about designing your page layout in Adobe Photshop and saving the files as .psd files. Is it possible to open a .psd file in Dreamweaver and use it as the layout for my site.

How do you do this in dreamweaver 4?

Thanks for any help or advice

Michael
    http://www.digibox24.com/forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not possible to open .PSD files in Dreamweaver, you have to save the images as either .GIF or .JPEG. Here is a good tutorial: http://jereme.gfxsites.net/tutorials...s/pageinps.htm

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note that you cannot just open a large graphic file and expect it to automagically turn into your site layout. What you can do is to make an image a "Tracing Image". Look it up, its in the View menu.

I don't usually use that feature myself, as I'll just slice the image up in Photoshop and then start laying out.

Another point would be apart from JPG and GIF, you could also use PNG, which is probably the best choice of the three if you are thinking of doing that Tracing Image thing as PNG is a lossless compression scheme and is not limited to 8 bit colour like GIF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do your site layout in photoshop. I generally create an entire page and then switch over to Image Ready and start slicing relative to how I'm going to do my HTML tables. Then "save optimized as HTML" and you can use Image Ready's version, which is usu. bad, or create your own HTML from scratch in Dreamweaver or whatever.
    My computer: Dell Latitude CPx | P3 650/500 w/ 256 MB RAM | 15" 1024x768 | IE 5.5 DSL
    gO rEd SoX! | "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return" - Christian, Moulin Rouge
    l e a r n t o q u e s t i o n | c l i o 3 6 0