User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Foreign based website SEO

Hi,

I'm interested in setting up some affiliate based websites for a foreign audience. Most likely in Canada, the UK, and France. I have some questions about how the search engines would treat them though...

I plan on buying .ca, .co.uk, and .fr domains. (Unrelated sites in each country).

My questions are for SEO:

1. Does it matter which register I use to aquire the domains? (IE, a US based register or a foreign based register).

2. Does it matter were I host these domains? I only speak english and would perfer to use my existing host provider. Does hosting location play into the SERPS? If I'm looking for localized traffic from google.ca, google.co.uk, or google.fr, do I need to host the sites in those countries?

Basically I don't want to get penalized for have a .co.uk domain that is hosted in the US in case the major search engines use IP blocks to determine geographic locations. I'm hoping that the domain extension will identify the country I'm trying to target.

Thanks,
    Grant

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant29
    Hi,

I'm interested in setting up some affiliate based websites for a foreign audience. Most likely in Canada, the UK, and France. I have some questions about how the search engines would treat them though...

I plan on buying .ca, .co.uk, and .fr domains. (Unrelated sites in each country).

My questions are for SEO:

1. Does it matter which register I use to aquire the domains? (IE, a US based register or a foreign based register).

2. Does it matter were I host these domains? I only speak english and would perfer to use my existing host provider. Does hosting location play into the SERPS? If I'm looking for localized traffic from google.ca, google.co.uk, or google.fr, do I need to host the sites in those countries?

Basically I don't want to get penalized for have a .co.uk domain that is hosted in the US in case the major search engines use IP blocks to determine geographic locations. I'm hoping that the domain extension will identify the country I'm trying to target.

Thanks,
    Grant
    The answer is .. no no and no.

all that will matter is your seo skills ... having a localized domain eg. .ca will only help you get included in the searches for pages from Canada, even though your server is located in the US but it won't boost rankings.
    Free File Hosting
    Free File Hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some things matter

Grant,

If you hop over to my blog, you can look at some ranking reports I've done for my own site (as part of a public SEO process) and see that, although my site is in Spanish and most of the people who look at it are from Spanish speaking countries, the SERP results are different for different versions of the same search engine (google spain v. google argentina v. google US for example) AND what is interesing is that for the category Google (Spanish sites) for example, my page doesn't rate because although I live in Spain, work in Spain, porduce the site in Spain and it's all in Spanish, the server is through the UK company Rochen (excellent service by the way) and I think the datacenter with the physical storage space is actually somewher in Texas. So far I have 0 shows in this category, although plenty in other categories, English & Spanish, as you will see.

Don't worry if you don't understand Spanish, this very evening I've managed to get wordpress going multilingual and there is a post in English which expalins the 3rd ranking report and has links to the others so you can check out what I'm saying.

The blog is here: http://www.mjbennett.com/blog-posici...marketing-web/

ĦUn saludo!
    Last edited by matthewmurcia; Jun 30, 2005 at 03:29.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice info. I've only taken a quick look at it, but I'll study your reports in more detail this week. Thanks for the reply.