SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adwords vs. Overture

How is Overture working out for everyone here?

I did setup the same campaigns on Adwords and Overture. For about 10 days I am comparing results now and it seems like that Google traffic is working out much better for me. Click-thru rates for my Adwords campaigns are higher and sales are higher, too. I am using the exact campaigns on both networks though.

Is the audience for Overture campaigns so much different?

Christoph
    The-USA dot net - PR4 Web Directory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Christoph,

Your experience matches mine. For the last several years, I've run a number of Overture campaigns, and they hardly ever reached the same results as AdWords. Having said that, they still are producing positive ROI...

Are you sellng/marketing B2B stuff (I have found that Google is a much preferred search engine among the B2B audience - just IMO - which would explain some of the difference. )

Are you using some of the 'advanced' features such as geotargeting to weed out the non-qualified clickers?

Christoph
    SearchingWorks
    SEO, PPC, SE-PR

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. My Overture campaigns hardly broke even and I stopped them for now. I am advertising consumer/end-user related items as well as small business related stuff and saw the same results either way.

I am concentrating on the US market only. So, whereever possible I am going rhe targeted route.

Well, I guess I will concentrate more on Adwords and less on Overture.

Christoph
    The-USA dot net - PR4 Web Directory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using Search-only campaigns or content syndication as well? I've found - not surprisingly - major ROI differences and routinely split content & search-only campaigns.

Other than that, I still like Overture for some of their insight into bid prices, competing ads etc.

Chris
    SearchingWorks
    SEO, PPC, SE-PR

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the clients I have running on both, I have found that Adwords does produce more traffic and higher valued orders ... the cost is higher as well though. Overture does reach a different crowd though, so I think it's good to cover both angles. Overture has still produced a profit with a majority of the keywords they use, so as long as you are getting a decent ROI, it's beneficial. I have also seen that the content match with Overture doesn't produce very good ROI with my clients, thus I turned that off on their campaigns.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overture is frustrating. The results are on par with Searchfeed and 7Search for me, but not as good as AdWords. One of the problems may be my reluctance to spend much time refining the campaigns, but that's in large part Overture's fault.

Their interface is hard to use and slow to move around in. It takes a long time to do everything - add keywords, change descriptions, etc. Every keyword really needs its own custom title and description to meet their quality standards, and sometimes even that's not enough.

I had one occasion where I changed the tracking code at the end of about 30 URLs, but not the rest of the URL (the domain and page), title, description or destination. What had been 30 approved listings by their editorial team suddenly became 30 unapproved listings for various seemingly nonsense reasons. I resubmitted most of them and half of them were approved in the third review, again making no sense, as sometimes a listing for one keyword was approved while adding "ing" to the end of a verb would cause another otherwise exactly the same listing be unapproved.

Google has the best results and the easiest management.

And this thread is in the wrong forum.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was spending about $5,000+ a month on Overture before they got greedy and raised their minimum bids to 10 cents. Instead of just letting the fkn market decide the minimum prices, they pushed it too far. I'm one of those minimum bid kinda guys. So I use only Adwords. I had always used both, but now Overture lost my business. Fk em!

And you don't need both!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont like the BS minimum mothly charge overture has either...

They drained my account when i put my campaign on hold so i could think of a different strategy. They charged my account for the next three months, and had the odacity to tell me i owe them money afterwards.
    *WRITERS* Create How To Guides and articles and get
    75% of the MONEY it makes via Adsense forever!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Overture can be frustrating, but is still a great PPC to advertise on.