SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course if this was more of a "news" story with Internet and Webmaster related sites it may have helped FastClick own up to their side of this deal.
    Please do not PM me about your business or sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exactly - thats why I wouldve hoped SP wouldve made this front page news...

We should do something at Ad:Tech that causes a stir

-Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but how do you actually get someone to sign-up under your referral..
    have all people having referrals made websites promoting different ad-networks or are there any other ways too?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any friends?

Do you have any friends with websites?

Do any of your friends with websites ever ask you for advice?

Do any of your friends with websites ever ask you for advice on advertising networks?

Thats one way.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aspen is right. I don't have any sites that are made for the promotion of an ad network. But I do have friends that are webmasters. I have had webmasters ask me for advice.

And does it really matter "how" someone obtained their referrals so long as they got them following the rules? No matter HOW someone obtained their referrals they legitimately brought business to Fastclick under an agreement of "lifetime" referral payment. So they have earned their's and should keep getting paid so long as that referral is making money for Fastclick.

If I am ever successful enough to build a company with a market cap of $176.38 million and trailing twelve months of revenue totalling $66.72 million, I can only pray I'm not so cold as to try and work over the people that helped make me great by changing terms on money I said I would pay them for a "lifetime".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't believe they have the audacity to do this.

Matt Oettinger from FastClick hasn't responded after his original post. Not surprised. Can't stand these robots working for such companies. Will definitely not be working with such slime-balls anymore. This is one of those occaisions that everybody can look back with and say it was the turning point. FC has been on the up-and-up until now. Now, ever so slowly, they're going to slide all the way down to oblivion as did Altavista...
    Azam Marketing, Inc.
    Award-Winning Digital Marketing and Design Results Since 1997
    Click here to read acclaimed online marketing & design blog

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. I don't have any FC referrals, but there's something fundamentally wrong about making a move like this - its not simply shady, its outright scandalous.

FastClick clearly no longer views its publishers as business partners but rather some sort of subordinate entity. I've personally gone ahead and removed their tags.

I'd really like to see the various network review sites either reduce FCs tier/rating or make a note that they have in the past defaulted on contracts with publishers [much like most of the rating sites have noted next to UGO].

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just throwing in my 2 cents here. I have made 12 referrals to FC and as soon as I got the news I took them down as a featured resource on my site replacing them with casale, the amzing thing is in just a few months I have made 53 referals to casale as opposed to 12 in two years with FC.

I will no longer support FC or use them for unsold invertory, and like Aspen said I have no reason to point any new webmasters in their direction.

I will be suprised if they do not have some kind of grandfather clause when this is all said and done with, I don't see how they can not.

Forum Buyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing. You have to think...

.. At some point someone in a meeting at FastClick asked the question "is this legal" "can we get away with this"? I wonder what the answer was and whether there was any laughter
    Founder/Admin of a pretty decent chat forum
    Download free winterboard themes for your iPhone
    I run sites powered by vbulletin and one about the HTC Jetstream.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E-mail from FastClick

Here is an e-mail I got from FastClick last week:

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 6:09 PM
    Subject: Discussing the Fastclick Referral Program

Hello Darnell,

We have seen your recent posts on GeekVillage and SitePoint regarding the changes to the Fastclick Referral Program and we would like to discuss your concerns over these changes directly. Would you have time early next week in which we could schedule a call? In addition to myself, Alexis Weaver, the General Manager of Ad Network, would be joining us. There are also some other programs that we have been considering and your feedback and input would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chad Peplinski
    Director of Media Operations
    And my response:
    Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 7:56 PM
    To: 'Chad Peplinski'
    Subject: RE: Discussing the Fastclick Referral Program

I have no time or reason to talk.

You know my position and all that is acceptable is to continue paying everyone for past referrals for that referral's "lifetime" as was the agreement at the time the referrals were given. Whatever you wish to do with any future referrals is up to you, since those would be subject to whatever rules you had at the time those referrals are given. Do that and I'll sing your praises. Short of that nothing changes regarding my position.

I know your company wants to do what is best for your shareholders and as a FORMER holder of shares of FSTC I never want to hold shares of a company that goes back on their written deals.

When publishers violate your rules you do not allow it and do not spend time on meetings with them. I hold you to the same standard.

Regards,
    Darnell
    Yes with a shamed face I admit I actually brought shares in their company which have since been sold.

Anyone else heard anything?

Anyone going to Ad:Tech next week might want to stop by their booth #304 and register your feelings in person.

Personally I'm not trying to chit-chat. This issue is resolved by them simply paying continually as promised. I don't think that requires much thought, discussion or review of "programs". We know the one solution that will resolve all this. All they need to do is send the message and keep the agreement!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be at Ad:Tech and yes I will let them know about how I feel in regards to their recent policy changes.

-Chris

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great email Darnell

"When publishers violate your rules you do not allow it and do not spend time on meetings with them. I hold you to the same standard."

Great point. Can you imagine fastclick wanting to discuss things with a publisher, knowing that when the axe people they axe them with no explination and won't listen to a word you have to say. It's never happened to me. But I am sure out of the hundreds that have been banned from major networks someone did nothing wrong, and never got a chance to prove it.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason I missed Matt from fastclicks original post in this thread. I love how they want to review accounts on a case by case basis. Anyone serving enough ads that made referrlas they will keep their word, but if you are not worth it then screw you? That's sure what it looks like to me.

Sorry for the double post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im glad to see they are taking some interests in the discussion. My attorney still has not given me an answer yet, hopefully its because she is more focused on my other case.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone find out anything interesting at Ad:Tech? Have any of your respective lawyers gotten back to you?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ According to this account they gave nothing but a standard lame response.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now ValueClick is buying them. What a fine mess this has become.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, what's the status with this FC referral mess? It looks like all webmasters are going to end up eating this one. And it doesn't seem like anyone will bother standing up to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will they still function as a banner network now?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear crickets chirping. Is that tumbleweed I see rolling down the street?....

Well they are still paying referrals for now, but I guess that we are still within a possible 3 month window for that....

Anyway, I'm giving them far less in the way of impressions now just because....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's hard to find crickets in the desert where you'd also see tumbleweeds.

Seriously though, I cannot believe they could pull something like that. It makes me wonder if they can, so could the others. Of course I'd assume FC's greed is a great advantage for other networks. But it's scary TOS agreements may as well be summed up in one line: We make the rules and you bend over and take them as they're given.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

I apologize for pulling up an old thread, but I thought it was more appropriate than starting a new one. Today I received an email stating that the intregration of the old Fastclick brand was complete. In the email received, it stated that we should contact Valueclick with any concerns; here is what I sent.

// begin letter

Dear Valueclick Media

Congratulations on your acquisition of Fastclick.

As you may be aware, Fastclick recently did something that hurt a lot of your publishers by taking away referrals that were made in good faith while Fastclick was in its infancy with the understanding that referred accounts would pay 5% commission for the life of that account.

I hope that with the integration of Fastclick, that you would reconsider this action and restore past referrals that were made under the previous rules.

While Fastclick knew exactly how much they stood to gain by making this retroactive change, what they may not have realized was how much they stood to lose in bad faith to their publishers, many of which renounced the network and went to Fastclick competitors.

I see this as an oppurtunity to restore the faith of many publishers and I would think that the goodwill associated with this move would serve to benefit everyone all around.

Sincerely,
    [name]
    bannerreviews.com
    www.bannerreviews.com - reviews of ad networks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a sensibly-written letter. I've got a feeling that you won't get a response or, if you do, it will not be sensible, but well worth a go. Let us know if you hear back.
    Azam Marketing, Inc.
    Award-Winning Digital Marketing and Design Results Since 1997
    Click here to read acclaimed online marketing & design blog

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The announcement of the VC buyout came just after they announced an end to the referral program. So VC knows all about this. In fact, I suspect they had a hand in it.

Back in the mid and late 1990's VC was about the best game in town with their CPC ad model. This was before more CPA companies came along and if you were not big enough to get in with DoubleClick VC was about the next best option. Back then VC had a referral program and I was making some money off that. Then they decided to end it. They never made any "lifetime" statements like FastClick though.

So I'm not shocked at all that just after FastClick went back on their word that VC was planning to take over.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my forum a VC rep said that doing that to their referral program was one of the biggest mistakes they ever did.

I used to make over $1000 a month from my FC referrals, now its less than $10. Thanks Fastclick!
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums