SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Large Database Question

I'm sorry for being so ignorant, but I have a few questions about large databases. I'm hoping to have a website with a database with anywhere between 6-10 million records. Each record will have approximately 40 fields.

First of all, is this considered a "large database"?

I know this might be hard, but can someone give me an estimate on the amount of space a database like that would take?

Also, the main purpose will be retreiving information from the database, with a minimal amount of updating once a record has been inserted. Is this something that MySQL will be able to handle? If not, should I be looking into databases like postgresql (<-- ?? Is that right) or even high end databases like MS SQL or Oracle?

Finally, does anyone have any views on which companies offer good dedicated servers? This is a startup and we don't have enough money to buy our own servers at the moment but are thinking that we will need dedicated servers. What kind of setup should we be looking for (i.e. Having a separate database server, a web server, and a separate firewall? Would we need a load splitter?)

Sorry for all these questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macadangdigity:
    10 million records with 40 fields (What are the fields? BLOBS? text,??? this will determine not only if it is "truly large" but also what kind of space you need.)
    MySQL is perfectly able to handle (if it is true that it is for mainly reads) something like this depending on the following:
    Do you need to "report" on the data? Will you need to be able to do inner and outer joins on the table structure to get the data? Is this just one really large table? (if it is just one large table you might want to skip the database, its faster:-) )
    Let me know more specifics and I will try to help you out.
    As far as the "load splitter" and seperate boxes this is going to depend greatly on what kind of traffic and what kind of data your serving up to your customers. Just so you know we are currently running a database on a single server that is currently at 6.5 gb of "data" with another 11plus gig of images that are linked and served with the record set, and we are not even touching the capabilities of the box it is on.
    Let me know.
    Theolz

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm kinda new to databases, so I'm not too sure what inner and outer joins on the table structure means.

But, the fields will be text, not blobs. I think the data will be split up across several tables and not just one big table. Also, we would like to generate reports from the data.

I just wasn't too sure how to estimate the size of a table that included indexing because I don't know how much space it takes to index. Is there an estimate that people generally use to gauge the size of a table that is indexed, such as saying approximately 1.5 Kb per record if indexed and only storing text?

Thanks for helping me out here, Theolz. I appreciate it!