SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attack of MSIE 6 - Revolt

Egads! Have you seen the article at evolt about the Smart Tags and MSIE 6.Microsoft has devised a way to put links on mine and my clients' sites without my permission!!!

Revolt! Its time for a revolution!

http://www.evolt.org/article/Smart_T...877/index.html

If I am reading the article correctly, MSIE 6 will allow Microsoft to create links and references to other sites and services on any web site. This is done at the browser so I have no control over who they link to. So my Ford sites could start showing links to Chevy. My clients are going to love that.

Testing with MSIE6 and XP, according to the discussion at evolt, shows there are settings to turn off SmartLinks but the settings do not work and the SmartLinks continue to appear.

News is that MS is NOT going to use SmartLinks in this release of MSIE 6... but with as much as they have invested how long before we see another attempt. I understand the SmartLinks are in MSIE 6 Beta. We do not know what will be in the MSIE 6 Release 1.

If SmartLinks are implimented in MSIE 6 then I am considering diverting all MSIE 6 users to a special page warning about SmartLinks and the added advertising they (my visitors) will be subject to. I am approaching clients with this information and asking permission to divert their MSIE 6 users too.

If all the web sites in the world made their sites unavailable to MSIE 6 users then people would probably uninstall MSIE 6. It would make the news and people would start avoiding MSIE 6. Microsoft has shown that they will change when public pressure is applied. I know not all sites will participate but if enough do... it could work.

What do you think?
    Dynamic HTML - Is that a Frisbee based language...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft has publicly stated that the shipping copy of Win XP with IE 6 will not include smart tags.

However even with the latest beta builds of IE and RC1 of Win XP, IE 6 has smart tags disabled by default and you have to click on an icon in the toolbar to turn them on.

The was a previous thread on this you can view here.
    Last edited by nflicanada; Jul 3, 2001 at 12:04.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all the web sites in the world made their sites unavailable to MSIE 6 users then people would probably uninstall MSIE 6.
    Not very likely sir, since you CAN'T uninstall the damn thing! It's not possible! At least I can't.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MS THinks you can uninstall it

http://support.microsoft.com/support...gn_SRCH&SPR=IE

or article Q293907

Have you tried this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q293/9/07.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=uninstall%20IE%206&rnk=12&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=IE[url]

Try that again...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by truelight

Not very likely sir, since you CAN'T uninstall the damn thing! It's not possible! At least I can't.
    Yep you pretty well have to uninstall windows

But, you can install Netscape and a whole other set of problems from what I hear.

You know I would like to see a few things start to be built into a browsers besides features I don't need like SmartTags.

Guess I am still dreaming
    body { background:#000000; color:#000000 }
    HEY, WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?!?
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what Microsoft's idea is behind all of this, but maybe we should point someone at Microsoft to these threads in order for them to see how much it is going to irritate the public and authors out there. Maybe they'll re-think their strategy
    - Pip
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by pip
    Maybe they'll re-think their strategy
    They did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean, they did and is not interested in implementing it, they did and will think about implementing it, or they did and is doing something about it?
    - Pip
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I should clear that up. They took Smart Tags out of IE6 for now. They're still in OfficeXP, so chances are we'll see a comeback, but not until the problems get sorted out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's their loss I suppose, cause there is no way that I'll grant anyone, not even Microsoft, to place links on my site. I'm sure there are many who'll stand up against this.

They don't rule the web, the authors do!
    - Pip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have taken smarttags out of ie6...but there is no question that microsoft will implement it sometime.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course they will!

Repeat after me:

"It is good for the users"

"I do not own the experience"
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It is a rip-off"
    "It is a rip-off"
    "It is a rip-off"

"I own the users cause they're visiting my site"
    - Pip

SitePoint Zealot strangealienmagic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a user.

We are all users.

As a group we use the web more than the average "users."

That said, the outrage of the "users" is what got MS to scrap STs in IE6. It must have been some incredible outrage to have had such a sudden impact on MS's plans.

I, as a user, do NOT think having MS control the content of the web, for me or anyone else, is a step in the right direction.

If MS did implement STs, the user would be further than ever from "owning the experience."

Example: If I go to a conservative political site looking for conservative content, I know that site will link to like-minded sites. With STs implemented, I would no longer have that confidence, therefore I would actually LOSE what little control I had.

Just because a certain technology exists, and it's proponents paint a rosy picture of it's use, does not make the rosy picture a factual representation.

Subdermal ID chips, superdatabases, GPS in cell phones and cars are all painted as technological godsends that will only help mankind to a kinder, gentler, friendlier world. Yeah, right.

Happy 4th of July to all of those who celebrate it and understand it's meaning!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the fifth thread I've had to "deal with this" in and I'm sick of it all. You want to live in fear and not get ANY of your facts straight suits me just fine.

<!--#unsubscribe thread="27379"-->
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, which one of you was holding the gun on studiococo and forcing him to "deal with this?"

Wasn't me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by strangealienmagic
    OK, which one of you was holding the gun on studiococo and forcing him to "deal with this?"

Wasn't me...
    He gets mad because we don't share his blind faith that Microsoft has our best interests at heart, that's all.

There is some pretty interesting discussion on another thread about STs - but in the end we agreed to disagree on their use, or even their legality.

As I stated on the the other thread, if Microsoft choses to modify my copyrighted content and provide unwanted links to content off my site - I'll sue.

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by thewitt

He gets mad because we don't share his blind faith that Microsoft has our best interests at heart, that's all.

There is some pretty interesting discussion on another thread about STs - but in the end we agreed to disagree on their use, or even their legality.

As I stated on the the other thread, if Microsoft choses to modify my copyrighted content and provide unwanted links to content off my site - I'll sue.

-t
    Yeah, I see you two have exchanged viewpoints extensively.

Seems like there might not even be a discussion of STs if technology existed in a vacuum, but since it CAN be manipulated, and corporations ARE in business to make money, our skepticism is perfectly logical. It's not like history has show some uninterupted streak of corporate altruism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Info

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/19675.html

The Register has an interesting article. They appear to have been digging around in the system files of MSIE 6 and Office XP. They also point out some of the benefits to MS for installing ST's in user's systems.

So for those of that are TRYING TO GET REAL FACTS (like anyone can do that when the product has yet to be released in final form) and those of us that just don't trust MS... it is a good read.

Paul Thurrott, wrote in and article at http://www.wininformant.com/Articles...rticleID=21292

This shows how ST's are being used in XP. I would assume that their use will very similar in MSIE6.

". . . Or Don't: Here's Some Smart Tag Stupidity
    I've been running these third-party Smart Tags for only 24 hours, and I've already seen two amazing examples of stupidity. They both came while I was typing Short Takes, coincidentally. For example, this sentence includes the word nice. As I typed the sentence, I wondered why a little Smart Tag squiggle appeared under the word. Nice, France, was the only connection I could think of, and sure enough, that's what the tag referred to. The Expedia Smart Tag kicked in, asking me whether I wanted to book a flight to France. Later, I typed the word long, and the same thing happened. I had no idea what long could refer to, so I brought up the Smart Tag and found that the culprit was the ESPN Smart Tag, which tagged the word as the Oakland A's centerfielder Terrence Long. Folks, this is lame. If these tags can't deal with capitalization properly, they're just going to be annoying. "Smart" Tag, indeed."

I know my clients will be asking me to get rid of them or how to convert them to their benefit.

Plus I am already over loaded with ads when browsing. That X10 camera has to be the most annoying popup on the web. Now I can start to get that while I try ro work on my computer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: More Info

Originally posted by Setac
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/19675.html

The Register has an interesting article. They appear to have been digging around in the system files of MSIE 6 and Office XP. They also point out some of the benefits to MS for installing ST's in user's systems.
    Interesting article. I read a bit about the "Smart Tag MOSTL Generator." I'm not a programmer, but I got the general idea.

I know this technology is inevitable in one form or another, but if they're able to turn even good solid content into an advertising medium through STs, that may well drive people away from the net.

Blasted x-10 popup would be considered just a mild intrusion in comparison.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed WinXP RC1 and you can uninstall Smart Tags as a Windows Component (Add/Remove Programs).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally think that Smart Tags are actually SMART!! It doesn't harm..and the user can disable them!

The only new thing I really don't like is the Personal Bar with the Media bar. But, netscape has one that is 10x worse, so it don't make much difference.
    in persuit of world domination...uhh..for the better!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by pman
    I personally think that Smart Tags are actually SMART!! It doesn't harm..and the user can disable them!
    But the thing is that most users are ignorant of how their computer/software works. Sure they can disable it, but since most people would not know what it was called much less know where to go to disable it, would they even BOTHER to turn it off.

That is the biggest problem that I have with the Smart Tags. The lack of control. As far as the user knows, any links shown by Smart Tags are actually ON MY SITE. Thus if they saw a link that they didn't agree with, they would come to ME and complain.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    creole before MS decided to scrap ST's from IE they were disabled by default and turning them on takes you to this page which did a good job of explaining what ST's were for.

Also although the ST's meta tag was broken in previous builds of IE, the newest builds have the meta tag to disable smart tags on your site working.

I didn't think it was too big of an issue when you read what MS had decided to do in the final version before canceling them all together. For site issues I'd be more concerned with P3P and the new buttons and scroll bar IE6 brings to the table than ST's.