SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Adwords Help

I just started this campaign for a college funding website. I have like 100 targeted keywords. Everything is Starting off reallllllllllllyyyyyyyy sloooooooowwww and i'm freaking out. I need some help. My max bid is 20 cents. My add looks good so i don't know what i'm doing wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New campaigns only show on Google at first, then after a review they can hit the partner networks. Maybe things will pick up a bit then.

Or maybe these are low traffic keywords...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long does it take to pickup on the partner networks. Because i noticed i'm just on google right now. My other campaigns showed up on aol and adsense ads. I just started my campaign last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never paid that much attention, but I don't think it takes that long, 1 to 3 days would be unsurprising...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just added 300 plus quality keywords to my campaign and raised the cpc and my traffic has droped from 4 people a day to 0. I have changed my ad serveral times and still no takers

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are a few of the keywords you are bidding on and with is your ad copy? What does Google show your estimated rank will be?
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are just a couple of the 100's of keywords.

ucsd Normal 0 95 0.0% - - 1.1
    usd Normal 0 91 0.0% - - 5.0
    students Normal 0 86 0.0% - - 9.5
    best colleges Normal 0 72 0.0% - - 6.6
    mesa college san diego Normal 0 65 0.0% - - 3.1
    gifted students Normal 0 14 0.0% - - 5.2
    city colleges of chicago Normal 0 13 0.0% - - 4.7
    south carolina colleges Normal 0 13 0.0% - - 6.1
    party colleges Normal 0 12 0.0% - - 6.1
    who's who among american high school students Normal 0 11 0.0% - - 1.0
    at risk students Normal 0 10 0.0% - - 5.1
    "america's best colleges" Normal 0 10 0.0% - - 7.9
    catholic colleges Normal 0 9 0.0% - - 7.9
    usd 259 Normal 0 8 0.0% - - 1.2
    florida community colleges Normal 0 6 0.0% - - 6.2
    loans student Normal 0 6 0.0% - - 85.4
    palomar community college Normal 0 6 0.0% - - 1.0
    students and teachers Normal 0 6 0.0% - - 6.0
    corinthian colleges Normal 0 5 0.0% - - 4.0
    dance colleges Normal 0 5 0.0% - - 5.4
    top colleges Normal 0 5 0.0% - - 12.0
    art students league Normal 0 4 0.0% - - 2.0
    colleges by state Normal 0 4 0.0% - - 12.8
    colleges in pennsylvania Normal 0 4 0.0% - - 8.3
    motivating students Normal 0 4 0.0% - - 3.0
    transfer students Normal 0 4 0.0% - - 3.5
    usd skates Normal 0 4 0.0% - - 7.0
    foreign exchange students Normal 0 3 0.0% - - 10.4
    medical students Normal 0 3 0.0% - - 3.0
    pictures of students Normal 0 3 0.0% - - 1.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my ad

College money
    Get Free grants and loans
    Fafsa And Pell Grant

Here are some screenshots from my campaign.

http://clickvenue.com/1.GIF

http://clickvenue.com/2.GIF

http://clickvenue.com/3.GIF

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, I have found that whenever you change anything in an ad, such as a keyword, or the ad itself, it kinda needs to go through a reveiw process of some sort, or maybe be put transfered to all the different servers. Also, I have noticed that the longer an ad appears, the higher the "click" rate goes, thus showing it more. I'd say to just give it some time and it will start showing more often. I've been stumped by this before. I put up a bikini pics ad, which started getting clicks right away (1 - 2 hours), than, my dating ads started out at a real crawl, and than after about a month, started to get more "shows" and clicks...Just my observation, but I think that competition is a key factor in how often your ads a re displayed. If you have "Big Company" with a $10,000 daily budget that Google needs to use up, he will be displayed before our smaller $10.00 per day campaigns...Also, I think Google likes to display the higher PPC ads more often, in order to generate revenue... Why run .05 per clicks all day when theres plenty of $1.00 per clicks available to display. Just my observation however... I could be totally wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at your first GIF you posted, I see the "red box" up top that usually indicates some sort of important message ... are you sure your Credit Card was able to be charged and your billing info doesn't need to be modified? If you have an outstanding balance, they will put your ads on hold.

Also, you should look at your "Served number" next to your ad. Yours is only 7.9%. This means that your ad is only showing up about 8% of the time when those terms are being searched for. That is going to drastically reduce your traffic. Even when your ad is showing 100%, you have to factor in the number that don't click on them. By having such a low Served rate, you are only hoping to get a small percentage of an already small percentage. To up that percent, you'd need to up your daily budget.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if i have over 300 keywords i need to up my budget to get them all active?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're all active, but only showing 8% of the time because your budget could not last the whole day at 100%.

For example, if your terms would yeild 8,000 searches in a day, showing 100% would give you 8,000 potential clicks ... if you are only showing 8%, your ads are only showing to 640 of those 8,000 people. That means your ads aren't reaching the most potential customers it could if they were up all the time. Since a click-through rate is fairly low to start with on PPC ads, by reducing the number of people who even see the ad, it may get little to no clicks based on just showing at the wrong times.

I'm not sure what kinds of daily budgets you would need to get up there but I would compare what you have set to what Google recommends for your budget. Most likely it's quite a bit higher (this recommendation is what Google estimates it would take to show 100% at your current ranking).
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well many of your keywords (at least the ones you have listed in the thread) really aren't targeted at all. Tighten up your list.

For example

pictures of students Normal 0 3 0.0% - - 1.0

Secondly, the terms you are bidding for aren't getting any impressions in the big scheme of things and your ad isn't targeted to what they are looking for so I doubt you will get much more than a 0.5% clickthrough rate.

Low impressions * low clickthrough = no clicks

So you're going to need increase your impressions. Up your budget, who cares if it costs you $200 for a days worth of clicks, you'll need that many at least to make a ROI decision on continuing the campaign. Whether you make your decision in one day or over the course of a month is irrelevant.

You're going to need to track all these terms as well to eliminate the low performers from a ROI perspective.

Good luck with your campaign.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides the suggestions above, I recommend changing your ad copy. For my Adwords campaigns with very targetted keywords I usually get 5-10% Clickthough

Try something like this:
    Need help paying for college?
    Get free grants and loans
    Don't pay out of pocket!

Another downside of not using targetted keywords is that nothing in your ad is going to be bold.

Lets say I'm doing an Adwords ad for loans. I add "home loans" to my keyword list. When someone searches that phrase it will show up like this:

Home Loans
    Apply today for home loans.
    Low interest rates guaranteed.
    www.homeloans.com

The way you are doing it now with your keywords your going to be showing up like this:

Home Loans
    Apply today for home loans.
    Low interest rates guaranteed.
    www.homeloans.com

A high CTR is very important -- because you'll be bidding less per click than a competitor for that same keyphrase. Your positition on Google is calculated by both the amount bid times clicks -- not just amount bid.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the landing pages for these keywords? Are you running different copy for each keyword or at least for each bucket (i.e. one ad copy for "Students" another for "USD" another for "UCSD" and so forth). Users are far more likely to click an ad if the title matches the keyword they searched for. The same applies to the landing page... if I search for USD and see a page that doesn't mention my school, do I care about your page? Doubtful. Furthermore, if I search for the term "usd" alone, do I care about loans? Maybe, Maybe Not? You will likely want to narrow your search terms to "usd loans" or something else specific. People don't tend to click ads that don't relate to their search, thus they have low CTR. if they do click the ad, it needs to continue to blend in with the original search term, the keyword bucket and so forth.

Simply having popular terms with ads that are semi-related will not get clicks and will not convert to leads. You need to show the right people the right ads and the right pages to take the action you want.
    - Ted S