User Tag List

Thread: PHP vs. ASP...?

SitePoint Enthusiast mandi_nole's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP vs. ASP...?

OK dudes - I'm wondering how many others out there who are trying desperately to overcome their MS-induced laziness and tackle open source languages are consistently frustrated by the dearth of innate useful PHP functions?? For example, there are not just one but several functions in the documentation for finding the date of Easter...but no easy way to perform date comparisons between today and yesterday (as opposed to doing a DateDiff in ASP)?

Is this a common adjustment issue? Am I whining out of turn because I haven't yet conquered the art of shaping source code to incorporate my own user-defined functions into the language?

Feeling like I need a support group - AA - ASP Anonymous.

Mandi
    Love ya - mean it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP rockers....

Growing up in an interpetid language world, that is how I learned it all... I was use to the parcer taking care of all my vatiables. I couldn't care less if it was a string or floating-point decimal... No I do. PHP mixes the ease of a lot of built in functions and variable handling... But does keep you in touch with the basics of programming that are inportant... Also, PHP is a lot more verstile than ASP. You have more freedom with general functions as opposed to having very specific functions in ASP.
    --Odd
    "We all live in a yellow subroutine."
    "Some call it insanity; I call it inspiration!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get me wrong - I'm not asking for people to knock PHP. I'm just looking for the light at the end of the tunnel from other MS drones who've been there. Right now, the lack of thorough and concise documentation on PHP and its accoutrements is probably the most frustrating hurdle I've come across...and I've got the WROX and O'Reilly books, as well as the distributions compiled help files!

Mandi
    Love ya - mean it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is, you have do a lot more coding to do some of the common functions that came with ASP. PHP having more general functions alows versitility... I was a MS drone, still am in many ways, but PHP has it's pros and cons, and so does ASP.
    --Odd
    "We all live in a yellow subroutine."
    "Some call it insanity; I call it inspiration!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, php.net seems pretty thorough and concise to me.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, what Anarchos said. Especially the annotated manual. The user added comments are often more informative than the manual entry itself. You will not find a better user manual online!!!

For example:
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.getdate.php

I don't know if that has any info that solves your problem (didn't quite get what you wanted to do). But just look at the wealth of user added comments.

For the people spoke, and the people wrote, and lo they rejoiced upon reading their words, for they were good. And accross the lands the coders grew productive and web servers busrt forth into perfumed blooms so that come the autumn there was ample fruit for all. And in time, it came to pass that seeds of knowledge multiplied.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, php.net - while as thorough as any other documentation I've come across (as well as being the source of all my chm docs) - STILL isn't as complete as the MS counterparts. For instance, I have an extremely difficult time finding specific code examples giving not only the usage of the functions, but the output generated by them - or else the code is cryptic and not well-documented.

Honestly, people, I'm not attacking PHP. If I thought it royally bit the big one, I wouldn't be bothering spending this much time trying to understand its strengths and weaknesses by reading all the posts from you guys on this darn board! Sheesh - touchy, touchy!

And I'm not trying to do anything specific at the moment - but when I am, inevitably I have to resort to newsgroups like this one to find logical examples and arguments...unlike ASP, the detailed documentation for which is ubiquitous (or maybe that's just because I know where to find it for MS products).

Mandi
    Love ya - mean it!