User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When do you stop tweaking???

I've been working on a site for my employer for many months. My prior "web design skills" consisted mainly of personal home pages built back in the 90s, which were created with huge graphics, shiny, 3D buttons and bars that were such fun to create, and all held together in intricate tables When I volunteered to do our website and started researching, I realized I had SO MUCH to learn and I was lost in the mid-90s. I didn't have a clue.

My employer paid for an online course in CSS, purchased Style Master and Front Page 2003, and thought I'd have the site done in a matter of weeks. HA! The more I learn, the more I realize there is to know. I keep tweaking and tweaking and could keep at it forever and not be satisfied.

Meanwhile, I keep hearing "When will the website be ready?"

How do you know when it IS ready? Do you pros come to a point where you are totally satisfied with the site? Or are you left, even after your client has approved it, feeling there is so much more that you could do?

When the heck do you know when to quit?
    Peace.
    rt

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There's always something more to do. Even on my own site, the last "update" isn't even complete and I am already considering changing it. Just be sure that what your client (in your case you employer) wants is on the site. Have him or her look at it before you "go live". If he's happy... you be happy. Don't worry, it won't last long. your employer will probably decide to add or subtract something himself in the near future!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to tell myself to quit!
    I will not flame the newbies,
    I will not flame the newbies,
    I will flame the newbies...
    Table free is the way to be!