User Tag List

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on how I should go about learning php/mySQL

Hey Guys

I have been working on my websites for awhile now and I have gained some simple knowledge in many different things. I have now decided that I am going to try and learn some php/mySQL programming.

I run and will be running many content sites and I would like to learn how to set up and run php/MySQL driven websites.

I don't have much free time, but I want to try to sit down for 20 minutes or so a day to learn.

I wanted to know what book(s) you guys might have to suggest for me to read or websites that may be able to take teach me everything, but probably a book would be best. It would have to be (painless lol ) easily read and easy to understand, if you get what I mean?

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

1. Website: www.webmasterbase.com ... look for Kevin Yank's guide called "Building Database Driven Websites"....great (and free )

2. Book: Professional PHP Programming (Wrox Press)

I think you should be willing to put in a bit more than 20 mins a day .... its worth it

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow the link in my signature for online resources. But, I agree that Kevin's tutorial is a good starting point.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started learning PHP about a year ago, when the SitePoint tutorial came out. But I never was committed and didn't go far at all. I tried learning off and on around four times in the last year. But school/work usually got in the way. Now I am trying again...hopefully I can go somewhere with this

Anyway, the SitePoint tutorial is probably the best one across the Internet. Devshed also has a nice tutorial, but it doesn't go as far as the SitePoint one (I don't think).

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, basically, you are telling me that if I read that tutorial top to bottom, I will know how to set up the backend for my websites?

Just checking.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - not just read ... practise also!

but for me ... i need a book ... tutorial on the ineternet seem to much for me. sometime when i want to know more .... it doesn't have. while i just want to know a little .. it gave everything so detail (then i get bored to read and end up not learning anything .. haha)