SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange, very strange Win2K error

So I'm computing all fine, everything's running smoothly, when *bam* my screen changes to a dark bluish color and I get a bunch of computer gibberish (about two lines at the top) and it says it is "begin dump of physical memory".

This is the second time this has happened in one week. I got the computer one week from tomorrow, so nearly a week now. It's:

P4 1.3 Ghz
    256 MB RAM
    32 MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
    40 GB HD
    19" Trinitron monitor

I have only been using Win2K for a week and never had this error on the Win9x machines I previously used. I just ran a virus scan earlier today and I have checked my computer for errors with Norton SystemWorks - all seems well.

When I rebooted, it said it was checking the disk for consistency - looks like 2K's version of ScanDisk to me.

If anyone knows anything about this, please help. It happens randomly, so I need to do something abou this.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's basically the 2000 equivalent of the Blue Screen Of Death , also known in 2000 as the STOP error.

Were you doing anything in particular each time? Like running a particular application? Also, have you installed any drivers that didn't come with the PC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep the Blue Screen of Death and it sounds driver related. The first thing to check is the Microsoft Update (Top most Item of your start menu) If the computer is new you should at least have service pack 1 but there is a good chance SP2 might be installed too, if not that's first.

Next go through the list of other updates avoiding IE6 for now and any other betas MS try to throw at you.

Then get the latest W2K Video drivers from the the Nvida Site install those. Now sit and wait Hopefully things should be fine but if it happens again try and jot down the error code on the blue screen. mainly try to get the string of numbers right after the word STOP, they will be something like 0x0000000A. If you get enough time try and note down the module/driver in which the error occured, normally listed towards the end of the message.

Then take a trip to the MS Knowledgebase (www.windows.com and first option on the support menu) select all the right details and type in the error code, this should point you in the right direction.

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    knowledgebase is http://support.microsoft.com
    Current Projects:
    Brighton Rockz - The only Albion Fanzine

Always Skint - THE forums for BHAFC fans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James, I was running my normal applications. IE, Outlook, Winamp, etc. - nothing out of the ordinary. I don't see a coincidence with the things I was doing at that time.

I have all the latest critical updates, but I am still on SP1. I don't really want to install SP2, though, since I doubt that's the cause and I don't want to wait for it to download on my slow modem. Not to mention there's always a risk it could cause more problems.

One thing I *did* sort of jot down was "non_paged_area". Other than all the numbers and everything, I saw something to that extent. Does that help anybody?

Thanks for the help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found my video card driver on the Dell web site, the GeForce 2 MX, but I am wondering if installing this is the solution to my problem or if it is even needed. How do I determine if I need a video card driver update? Since it says it was released on June 18th and my computer was built after that by Dell, I would assume they would use the latest drivers. I would appreciate if someone could clear this up.

I haven't installed any peripherals yet, although my printer is shipping now. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.opentechsupport.net/forum...?threadid=1776

I think I solved it: ZoneAlarm was the culprit. I have it turned off until I find a patch (if I do). So far, so good. I'll keep you all updated. What a big sigh of relief!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if it's not too late for my 2 cents, here they are.

i was having the same problem a couple of weeks ago.
    you can read about it in this post : http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=26522

i did what big_al suggested to do - http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q256/0/10.ASP

and of course after doing that nothing would happen. everything would work perfectly.
    anyway, i ended up reinstalling win2k and i haven't had any problems so far. (knock on wood)
    . . . chris