SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

threaded discussions: build or borrow

I have a client that wants a very simple threaded discussion list for about 5-10 users. It seems to me that products like vbulletin and phpBB are way to bulky and overkill for this situation, would it be wise to build my own?
    I'm sure many of you have run into the same situation and interested in what path you may have taken and the outcome. Thanks

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes sense to build it if it doesn't do what you want, but why would you build something because there exists something with all the functionality you want plus more! ????????

It will take *you* more time (and hence more money) and the *customer* will wait longer, and end up paying you more.

What is the point? Everyone loses.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Added complexity of something that provides way more than you want/need can cause problems down the road. Customization and security are two reasons I can think of real quick to at least consider finding or building a more "right-sized" solution.
    Reduce or eliminate spam on your sites without CAPTHCAs
    - maybe it is possible: http://formantispam.thekerrs.ca/

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for a bulletin board with less features. I have heard good things about punBB, which is not bloated with features. http://www.punbb.org. However, looking at the news page, it has had a lot of reported vulneribilites as of late, something to consider.

That said, I am sure their are plenty of boards with out all the bloat, just the plain functionality.