.* draziW tnioPetiS *. bronze trophy
    "Then I figure the most good good guy will win."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

encode your php? Binary config file?

Hi all.

A long time ago, before I knew how to write my own PHP scripts, I downloaded a demo version of a photo gallery... I liked it so much that I decided to spend the 20$ to buy full access to it.

One of the perks of buying the code was that I could remove the link to the programmers website. This is the cool part: after buying the code, the programmer sent me a new "config.dat" file... and after I replaced the old config with the new, the website link disappeared.

Here is what a "config.dat" file looks like (before buying the PHP):

Code:

(A lot more ones and zeros go here)

The replacement config file looked very similar... just different organization of ones and zeros.

QUESTION: How is the above "config.dat" technique accomplished? (I only ask because I am starting to write my own PHP apps/scripts for clients, and I would like to be able to protect my code from being altered and/or handed-out to others.)

QUESTION: Does anyone have any good links about protecting PHP code?

QUESTION: How do you protect your scripts? Do you add any one thing to your code? If so, could you post an example?

Again, I am only asking because I would like to restrict some of my clients usage of the script(s).

Any help/links/comments/suggestions would be really great.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Micky

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without seeing the rest fo the code, it's pretty difficult to say what they did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to the gallery script:

Gallery Script

Gallery demo

Example gallery script with programmers link at bottom

I have not spent a lot of time looking through the code... but from what I have looked at, I can't seem to figure it out.

-- I do not want to hack this code... I have bought this code a while back, and I have moved on to writing my own scripts... I personally try to avoid the use of other peoples code because it motivates me to learn how to do it myself.

I just think that this is a really cool way of protecting a PHP script (encoding the config file... so cool!)

THanks in advance.
    Micky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, is this the right forum for this type of question?

Does anyone try to protect their PHP code from redistribution?

I would love to learn how I could apply a footer-link like stadtaus.com gallery script... anyone have any ideas on how to do that?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For PHP source encryption, try the Zend Encoder or for a cheaper alternitive, the IonCube Encoder.

Umm. PHP Guru....Naaaah jaswinder_rana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ---------------------------
    Errors = Improved Programming.
    My Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dylan, thanks for the response... I really appreciate your time.

Is that what Stadtaus gallery did to encrypt the config file? The only thing that the config file did was remove the link on bottom of gallery page... I can't believe someone would pay hundreds of dollars just to hide/encrypt a website link into a script...

Anyone else think about these types of things? I guess I will spend some more time on Google...

Hehe, maybe this is a stupid question...

Cheers,
    m

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I am wondering where in the script the binary data is converted???? How the heck is that done??? Remotely??? If so, can't seem to find any code that does anything other than read the file (standard built-in PHP functionality).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaswinder_rana

Doh, I did not see this post... sorry jaswinder_rana, I think I was posting when you were... Hehe, thanks for links, checking them now.

Many thanks! Thanks for your time.

M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, this link http://freelock.sourceforge.net/, somebody posted here on SitePoint when they started it, so search for FreeLock in sitepoint and you'll find interesting reviews about it
    My Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaswinder_rana
    BTW, this link http://freelock.sourceforge.net/, somebody posted here on SitePoint when they started it, so search for FreeLock in sitepoint and you'll find interesting reviews about it
    COol cool, thanks for the tip. Freelock sounds like it may be a decent option to consider. Cool... Thanks.

M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe someone would pay hundreds of dollars just to hide/encrypt a website link into a script...
    well i'm not sure thats what products like the zend encoder are for.. besides hiding the source code, it also basically "compiles" the code, optimizing its execution time..

But besides that, spending hundreds of dollars to hide/encrypt a website link into a script cuased you to buy the full version, and it probably did the same for others as well.. and on there end, it was probably worth it.

I've seen other web products do the same thing... such as some very fancy dropdown menu's out there.. i tried making sense of the code to figure out how to keep the extra links from showing up, but couldnt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You see, like other products PHP scripts can not be given on trial versions. So, they came up with this idea of encrypting not only to cover that part, but also for the licensing purposes
    My Site

SitePoint Evangelist dmsuperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://php.net/base64
    http://php.net/eval
    All you need, just run it through the encoder, save it, then eval the base64 decoded version :P
    Alright so it's nothing really good, but most people get discouraged right away lol.
    <(^.^<) \(^.^\) (^.^) (/^.^)/ (>^.^)>
    Core 2 Duo E8400 clocked @ 3.375GHz, 2x2GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM
    5x SATA drives totalling 2.5TB, 7900GS KO, 6600GT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well perhaps the gallery application is parsing the config.dat file, searching for a specific string in it. If found just removes the lines, that show the link in the file. (or may be just skips it).

No other tricks.

La la la la la bronze trophy lieut_data's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REMIYA
    Well perhaps the gallery application is parsing the config.dat file, searching for a specific string in it. If found just removes the lines, that show the link in the file. (or may be just skips it).

No other tricks.
    Seems a rather round-about (and ultimately pointless!) way to 'protect' his script, given that the source appears to be un-obfuscated.

More than likely, the config.dat file contains (as posted above), some PHP code central to the application, and stored in an obfuscated form. Search the source for the above mentioned functions, or better yet, for wherever the source reads from config.dat.
    My name is Steve, and I'm a super-villian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info folks, some great tips/ideas/examples/links... I really appreciate everyones help!

I am at work now, but plan to do some more research on all this info later tonight....

Again, thanks folks, you guys rock!

Cheers,
    Micky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lieut_data
    Seems a rather round-about (and ultimately pointless!) way to 'protect' his script, given that the source appears to be un-obfuscated.

More than likely, the config.dat file contains (as posted above), some PHP code central to the application, and stored in an obfuscated form. Search the source for the above mentioned functions, or better yet, for wherever the source reads from config.dat.
    Sometimes unobfuscated code with no comments is as useless as no code

Obfuscated config.dat for sure, no one said it wasn't, but just a simple text search somewhere between other string functions can do the same trick and still stay out of suspection.

And do you think that creating a self modifying script on the client's server is an easy work to do?

SitePoint Evangelist dmsuperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once made a function that encrypted and decrypted itself. It was confusing work but I lost it. It was cool though, you run the source with ?encrypt=TIMESTAMP (where it had to be the timestamp) and it would encrypt the whole source and remove the encryption part (so no one goes to it again) and then running it would run the small un-encrypted function that started decrypting and finally running the file. Very confuzzling.
    <(^.^<) \(^.^\) (^.^) (/^.^)/ (>^.^)>
    Core 2 Duo E8400 clocked @ 3.375GHz, 2x2GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM
    5x SATA drives totalling 2.5TB, 7900GS KO, 6600GT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmsuperman
    I once made a function that encrypted and decrypted itself. It was confusing work but I lost it. It was cool though, you run the source with ?encrypt=TIMESTAMP (where it had to be the timestamp) and it would encrypt the whole source and remove the encryption part (so no one goes to it again) and then running it would run the small un-encrypted function that started decrypting and finally running the file. Very confuzzling.
    Wow, that is really a wonderful script. Are you sure you can't dig it it out from an old backup or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmsuperman
    What did you use for the actual encryption?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lieut_data
    Well, here is where the source reads from config.dat:

Code:
    (includes folder/gallery.inc.php)

/*****************************************************
      ** Include template functions and initialyze global
      ** and table template.
      *****************************************************/
              require('./inc/template.class.inc.php');

$tpl = new template;
              $tpl->load_file('gal', $global_template);

$tpc = new template;
              $tpc->load_file('cell', $cell_template);

$cell_content   = $tpc->files['cell'];
              $gal            = @file('./inc/config.dat');
              $tplt           = 'gal';
              $str            = '';
              $conf_var       = '';
              $use_order_file = '';
    So, $gal var holds the config.dat info, but that is the only spot that I can find $gal being used...

Only other spot I can find anything related to the "powered by" link, is in a file called window.html in the templates folder:

Code:
    #poweredby {
              text-align:center;
          }
    I wish I knew more about templating and Classes, maybe then I could follow the code.

See, i would like to give clients code, and just make sure they retain the link to my site at bottom... that is kinda nice feature (also protects from re-sale of my scripts without some credit).

Any more thoughts?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, for the free versions of my scripts I require a link and have the script insert it at the end of every page automatically. To disguise where this is done I made these simple functions:

Code:
    function texttoascii($text)
    {
     $chars = str_split($text);
     for ($x=0; $x<sizeof($chars); $x++)
     {
      $ascii .= ord($chars[$x]) .' | ';
     }
     return $ascii;
    }

function asciitotext($ascii)
    {
     $chars = explode(' | ', $ascii);
     for ($x=0; $x<sizeof($chars); $x++)
     {
      $text .= chr($chars[$x]);
     }
     return $text;
    }
    (Note: depends on having either an str_split function of your own or PHP5.)

I just run the "Powered by..." text through texttoascii in a temporary test somewhere, and then feed the result of that to asciitotext in the actual script. I suppose a base64encode/base64decode as has already been mentioned would be a simpler way to do the same thing... for my purposes, I did some needless work there. If you wanted to allow a file to switch it off though, using custom functions like this would allow you to have the value $gal read from the file like in what you posted above, and then tested in the asciitotext function with something like
    if (base64_decode($gal[3]) == 'x') return '';
    You could even mix in a license key there, I suppose, to prevent the same config.dat from working for everyone.

It is of course theoretically possible for a very determined person to overcome these methods, particularly one who's read this thread, but it ensures that somebody searching the files won't be able to come up with any search term that'll lead them to the spot (they can't for example turn up something simply by searching for "Powered"). And if they were to read the spot at random they wouldn't be likely to recognize what it's for since all they see is numbers being fed to a function.

Of course there are other ways people can manage to hide a 'powered by', like leaving various unclosed tags in the template just before it would appear. Difficult to defend against every possibility.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i need help learning php from the start because i don't kow anything can one of you teach me?