Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you really buy pagerank?

OK,

A little about my site. We've only been going about 3/4 weeks, and we are pulling in an average of 60 visitors a day and 500 page views...not exactly yahoo.com but fine considering its been all free promotion and getting the content right so far..

anyway, newbie question.. im looking at all the promotional tools we can use in the future, and i see that a lot of people recommend seo as a serious tool...as i understand it google is the big boy of search engines, and its main way to rank sites is its `pagerank` facility...which works on how many backlinks/quality of backlinks

anyway, for the future, when we consider paid advertising, is it worth going with text links on `PR6, PR7 etc` sites - do they really up your PR, and does this translate to better search results and more visitors..i have seen agencies offering this as a way to up your pr..

As I say this is something for the future, for now its free promotion, then prob cpc ads,...but Im just wondering if you can buy PR that easily...surely theres a catch?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes links from such sites can improve your rankings, however, it isn't an overnight fix. It can take three months or more for such links to begin to have a visible affect. Also buying PR is kind of like getting addicted to crack, once you start buying links for PR you can't stop paying for those links as your PR will drop once you stop.

When buying links, improving your page rank shouldn't be your primary objective. The site you are purchasing links on should also be exposing your link/ad to people who would be interested in your product. For instance, I wouldn't advertise a site for a funeral home on a site about infants and toddlers.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLB
    It can take three months or more for such links to begin to have a visible affect. Also buying PR is kind of like getting addicted to crack, once you start buying links for PR you can't stop paying for those links as your PR will drop once you stop.
    LOL @ the crack comment

yeh, I think it might be a better idea to take the few hundred we can get for the PR and invest it in CPC instead

do you think its better to go Free/ghetto promotions-->CPC and then PR?

I dont like the idea of getting into your `crack` cycle and would rather build up visitors via cpc when you put it that way lol

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to answer your question with another question:

Do you WANT to buy PR?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainequity
    I dont like the idea of getting into your `crack` cycle and would rather build up visitors via cpc when you put it that way lol
    If buying PR is like being addicted to crack, building up visitors via CPC is like getting addicted to heroin. Either way, you are addicted for life.

The difference is once you figure out your average rate of return with per click with the CPC model you can figure out exactly how much you should be willing to spend per click and then don't exceed this amount. With link purchasing for PR, you can't figure out what your rate of return is. With that said, purchasing links can have value in an overall plan. You simply shouldn't put all of your eggs in this basket.

I personally try to build up links to my sites. I have content sites that naturally attract lots of links and one of these sites has a really good PR and traffic volume because it has been around for almost ten years. I then advertise my purely commercial sites on my content sites. Thus in essence I manufacturer my own crack and don't need to pay someone else for it. A multi-site strategy can be a very good strategy.
    InternetSAR.org

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do think that buying PR is good in the long run as KLB pointed out. In the end you really cannot stop, and this probably is true for the free methods as well. It would be better to do the traditional PR boosters such as posting on web blogs that link back to your website, writting articles for a back link, etc. These are free and will increase your PR. You'll have to continually do them, but at least you're not wasting money.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charmedlover
    I do think that buying PR is good in the long run as KLB pointed out. In the end you really cannot stop, and this probably is true for the free methods as well. It would be better to do the traditional PR boosters such as posting on web blogs that link back to your website, writting articles for a back link, etc. These are free and will increase your PR. You'll have to continually do them, but at least you're not wasting money.
    And if you make quality posts in these blogs you'll be contributing to another person's website which almost certainly will be appreciated.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very much appreciated. I know many bloggers that understand this and will post great comments on other blogs, creating a good PR network. It is spread all around and the blogs have better content.

It goes the same way for websites and forums too.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you absolutely can buy pagerank. I think it can be a good thing for a newer, sandboxed site, and depending on the profit model, it can also be a planned long term expenditure, but it should be combined with other optimization methods, or as someone commented, you have nothing once you stop paying. There is also a link for life model where you buy links that are permanent (mostly).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right so its basically, dont become addicted to one drug, try them all..

so a little crack (PR), smack (CPC), dope (blogs) and alcohol (free promotions), and that way you dont become dependant on any one...

*apologies for the drug-addled tone*

thanks.

on a side note, i know nothing about blogs guys, how do I go about adding content to them for backlinks? Do all blogs do this?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that WordPress systems usually take the commenter's website and has a link to it near their name. It depends on the blog system. You shouldn't just put a link if it doesn't ask for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right so its basically, dont become addicted to one drug, try them all..

so a little crack (PR), smack (CPC), dope (blogs) and alcohol (free promotions), and that way you dont become dependant on any one...
    No you become dependant on all.

Actually this is a good perscription for the success of a site. In regards to a "sandboxed site" or any site for that matter, don't expect overnight results. To extend the drug anology, buying links is like taking NEXIUM for heart burn rather than Rolaids. Buying links isn't an overnight solution. It takes time (like months) for those links to start impacting your rankings and thus increase traffic. CPC ads on the otherhand are more like Rolaids in that they can provide an immediate impact boost in traffic.
    InternetSAR.org

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I've bought multiple lPR 7 and PR 8 inks for a couple of my sites WITHOUT getting any ranking.

To get ranking, you also have to have a bunch of PR0, PR1, PR2, PR3, etc.

If all the sites that link to you are PR7 and PR8, then it's not natural and Google won't take you seriously.

That is based on my own experience.

The trick is to make your site and your linking strategy look natural.

So, along with buying PR, you also need to seek out links from lower PR sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SheriffG.Guirguis
    Hi,

I've bought multiple lPR 7 and PR 8 inks for a couple of my sites WITHOUT getting any ranking.
    Some questions:
    1) How long did you buy the links for? As I said earlier, it can take 3-6 months before these links start to have an impact.

2) Were they direct links to your site (e.g. http://yoursite.com not http://theirsite.com/redirect/yoursite.com)?

3) Did the site blatantly sell their links based on PR? If so, Google could have devalued links being shared from their site.

From my own personal experience, links from my high PR sites to my other sites has always had an impact on those sites PR and search position. Sometimes it has taken two PR update cycles before I noticed any changes. Also remember when buying PR or PageRank the operative word is "PAGE." Just because the main page of a site has a PR7 doesn't mean the page your link is on is a PR7, it might only be a PR3. Also when buying links, you need to make sure that the search engines are allowed to index the page your link is on. You can do this by checking the robots.txt file of the seller's site and checking the meta tags in the source code of the site. An unscrupulous site owner might sell links on pages that robots are not allowed to access.

From Google's perspective, they don't like the buying of selling of links purely for the PR boost. So, if you are buying links purely for the PR boost, in Google's eyes you are taking a walk on the dark side. As I said earlier, if you are buying links your primary motive should be because of the quality of the traffic those sites can send your way.
    InternetSAR.org

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SheriffG.Guirguis
    To get ranking, you also have to have a bunch of PR0, PR1, PR2, PR3, etc.

If all the sites that link to you are PR7 and PR8, then it's not natural and Google won't take you seriously.
    That's completely untrue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horowitz
    That's completely untrue.
    Agreed, if for no other reason than there are hundreds of "directory" sites that will link to your site on their own without your asking for links simply to create hundreds pages of "content" to display ads. I'd never waste money by buying links on a site that didn't at least have some PR6 pages. The reason wouldn't be because I wanted the PR boost as much as a PR5 or less site probably doesn't have that much traffic going to it.

While not always the case, low PR tends to mean low traffic. If a site has lots of PR6+ pages, the odds are they have been around for awhile and as such have built up quite a few natural links and haves reasonable traffic flow. Granted this won't always be true, but it is a good generality.
    InternetSAR.org

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me explain,

I bought multiple PR8 from different News sites, and multiple PR7 from other sites.

The links were on a pr8 or PR7 PAGES

I kept the link for multiple months (average of 7 to 10 months, and even longer)

None of them advertise the fact they sell the PR on their site. I got their link from www.linkadage.com

One think I must say, is that most of them added the link in the "sponsored link" section.

Two of my site went to a PR6 in about 45 days. But they were no where in their ranking.

Naturally, I would recommend you only buy link from PR6 and above, but I would also seek out links from lower pr sites so the linking looks more natural.

It's no secrets that Google is continually trying to stop any of our attempts to artificially boost our ranking by attempting to spot what doesn't seem natural. They may not be able to stop all strategies, but if they can spot whether your linking strategy is natural or not based on the text link you use (if all your inbound link says "my-keywords", apparently they can spot this), why would you think that they cannot spot the fact that you have no lower PR site linking to you and all sites linking to you happen to be PR6 and above?
    Last edited by SheriffG.Guirguis; Jun 13, 2005 at 07:31. Reason: deleted empty lines between paragraph. Simple formating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're site went to PR6, then the links worked.

PR != SERP's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLB
    If buying PR is like being addicted to crack, building up visitors via CPC is like getting addicted to heroin. Either way, you are addicted for life.
    Disagreed. If you have good content, over time (as in years) your site will obtain natural backlinks that will make up for any initial paid backlinks you set up that are discontinued. I've never done it, but I can see how paying for backlinks can be an effective way to "prime the pumps".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone
    Disagreed. If you have good content, over time (as in years) your site will obtain natural backlinks that will make up for any initial paid backlinks you set up that are discontinued. I've never done it, but I can see how paying for backlinks can be an effective way to "prime the pumps".
    Indeed I could completely agree with this. On a good content site, link purchases and CPC could help people discover the site and kick start natural link generation. An important part of this would be to make sure and encourage people to link to your pages via a little "please link to this page" comment on each page of your site.

In my posts above I was thinking mostly of ecommerce sites, not content sites.
    InternetSAR.org

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very interesting guys, i have bookmarked this page

I think the try a little of every drug strategy should work...as someone said, build it over time, dont expect miracles and try a little bit of everything...

thanks

chris

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..on a sidenote, what would it take for me to get to a PR 5 or 6 ... right now Im a 3...

I know its an inexact science, but are we talking 5 PR 8 links + 20 PR 7s for a PR6 etc...If theres no real way to tell, thats fine but am curious.

Also I will be careful not just to have one PR3 link and 1 PR9 link lol...or G may get a little suspicious eheh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..on a sidenote, what would it take for me to get to a PR 5 or 6 ... right now Im a 3...

I know its an inexact science, but are we talking 5 PR 8 links + 20 PR 7s for a PR6 etc...If theres no real way to tell, thats fine but am curious.

Also I will be careful not just to have one PR3 link and 1 PR9 link lol...or G may get a little suspicious eheh
    Some inbound links from PR6 pages will probably put you on the right track. It will take a couple of PR updates for the the effect on PR to become fully visible.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Priming the pumps is a good analogy, certainly, although directory submissions are probably a more effective strategy. Presence builds presence - the more effectively you reach the target audience, and the more channels you use, the more others will link to your website. Quality is also a factor in attracting links, of course.

I certainly wouldn't recommend buying advertising based on PageRank - even if your goal is to spam Google... see my explanation of PageRank for one reason. Another has already been brought up, which is that a collection of "high PageRank" links appearing suddenly will appear decidedly unnatural, which it is.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, so buy conventional advertising (banners for example) to get exposure. Buy advertising for (direct) traffic, and then people will link to you if they like the site.