SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Database differences?

I have always used MySQL because it is easy and does what I need to do. However, I hear people saying that it is the worst DB out there. What makes database systems like Oracle and PostgreSQL better? What's the advantage of using them over MySQL?
    Nick . all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream
    Show someone you care, send them a virtual flower.
    Good deals on men's watches

Snowboarders die even younger igor.kudela's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stored procedures or functions to start off
    Igor Kudela
    NetPublisher - FREE Customizable .NET CMS

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Afrika
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would advice, you never listen to what people have to say. Or better yet, listen to what people say, ...
    ... BUT be objective about it.

See this post, there are also a few recent similar posts on this site
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217132

I personally wont work with MySQL, simply because it lacks advance db features, e.g. stored proceedures, triggers, true referencial integrity, subqueries, MOST IMPORTANT its not ACID Compliant etc

As i heard, there is really no disadvantage to them, but from my experience esp working once with a similar db in the past, i wasnt too comfortable with it.

hope this helps, do a search, similar posts about this have been posted in this forum

afrika

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afrika
    I would advice, you never listen to what people have to say. Or better yet, listen to what people say, ...
    ... BUT be objective about it.

See this post, there are also a few recent similar posts on this site
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217132

I personally wont work with MySQL, simply because it lacks advance db features, e.g. stored proceedures, triggers, true referencial integrity, subqueries, MOST IMPORTANT its not ACID Compliant etc

As i heard, there is really no disadvantage to them, but from my experience esp working once with a similar db in the past, i wasnt too comfortable with it.

hope this helps, do a search, similar posts about this have been posted in this forum

afrika
    See that's the problem. A lot of people don't need those features. I mean, someone creating a simple blog database or registration one doesn't necessarily need transactions and stored procedures (subqueries were implemented in 4.1 )

I am a huge fan of databases that are compliant and have enterprise features, but I also know a lot of people don't want to buy a MSSQL license or an Oracle one.

Afrika
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Hartmann
    See that's the problem. A lot of people don't need those features. I mean, someone creating a simple blog database or registration one doesn't necessarily need transactions and stored procedures (subqueries were implemented in 4.1 )

I am a huge fan of databases that are compliant and have enterprise features, but I also know a lot of people don't want to buy a MSSQL license or an Oracle one.
    I am a huge fan too of db's with enterprise features, the biggest downside to them is cost, we pay a lot to run MS SQL inhouse and online too. We are currently shopping to buy MS SQL lic, which isnt funny.
    ;-)

However i woudl not trade it off for MySQL, in my opinion its more of an excellent data container. that matches realiablity of the enterprise db. But thats just me, i wont use it. Having used others

afrika

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmann

I would argue one always needs stored procedures. They give you a few very nice things. First, they help guard against SQL injection. Parameterized, strongly typed input gets around most attacks. Second, they encapsulate and abstract the database away from the application.

For every web app I have done, big and small, there is a general rule that the web user can never access the base tables directly. Any interaction is marshalled through stored procs and views. Provides some very good baseline security, imho.

Afrika
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wwb_99
    Second, they encapsulate and abstract the database away from the application.

For every web app I have done, big and small, there is a general rule that the web user can never access the base tables directly. Any interaction is marshalled through stored procs and views. Provides some very good baseline security, imho.
    ...now thats what i am talking about

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99
    I would argue one always needs stored procedures. They give you a few very nice things. First, they help guard against SQL injection. Parameterized, strongly typed input gets around most attacks. Second, they encapsulate and abstract the database away from the application.

I can agree that they would be nice, but always needed? Not too sure about that. Yes, they help against SQL injection and do encapsulate the database but do you always want that? No.

I write simple apps for myself where I need to enter simple data once or twice a day. This isn't mission critical data, mostly study information that I am tracking over time. Do I need stored procedures for that? Certainly not. In that case I am wasting my time... The same goes for other small applications that need fast, simplistic interfaces.

If it is something that will be accessed by the outside world with mission critical or sensitive information then I am all for what you suggest, but not for simple applications.

Afrika
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Hartmann, you do have a very strong point, when it comes to blog sites and the likes.

I would prefer to work with mission critical apps.

ie 007

afrika

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the point is that strong. Why be forced to:

1) Write SQL more than once.
    2) Escape SQL all over the place.

On any app, no matter how trivial.

I would note that I have long since got out of writing the procs myself. I let CodeSmith do it for me.

Afrika
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just had an argument in the office, if linux is really free?

My colleague made a very good point, saying that: " Many of the things you might easily achieve in enterpise db's you woudl either pay a 3rd party to get it done, or either risk SQL injections and the links or go that extra mile." Which i think its true.

with regards SP, i have templates which i use and then modify them to my taste. Which works better for me

Afrika

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well TINSTAAFL, TINSTAAFO, AND TINSTAAFDB .. everything costs something.. i'm the only one working for free around here j/k

Back to the original thread, i don't have much to offer in experience as to the best database solution out there.. I feel like mysql suits my needs quite well though.. However after reading some other threads, i feel like i may be missing out on some things (like views)..
    But, i wouldnt be surprised if the things that mysql are missing will be available by the time i've got enough experience with sql to even bother wanting them.

If you havent seen it before, try using the mysql database comparison.. I'm sure people here will disagree, but it actually seemed fairly unbiased.. (seems to cover most the drawbacks i have read here, of course it doesnt highlight them though)

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/features.html

However, i didnt see anything about stored procedures, maybe there is another term for them.

It seems a lot of professions like to bash mysql as though it were written by 8th grade programmers... But the other day i got fulltext search working beautifully in about 10 minutes on my site.. i was amazed.. i dont think i'd get anything like that out of another database..

Afrika
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mwolfe
    However, i didnt see anything about stored procedures, maybe there is another term for them.
    No they dont exist, i understand they are meant to be implemented with the latest version

It seems a lot of professions like to bash mysql as though it were written by 8th grade programmers
    Depends on who you are talking to, when i first got into db, i used NT 4.0 and access, i then moved to linux/postGres and MySQL then to MS SQL which i thought was a wonderful product, then i heard EVERYONE bashing it, so i posted many threads all over the places. Till i got convinced on what i was doing

From what i have heard, i really think its an excellent db, without the enterprise features. Also linux hosting rules the internet. See netcraft.com and also in everry forum, i have visited, php and MySQL always leads in threads

see
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4
    php is 10xs asp and .net
    MySQL is about half those of databases, and you get many MySQL posts in databases.

It must be a good product

I recommended we use it to back up all our databases inhouse

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DBs are the means to the end

MWolf
    Remember, ALL databases have something to offer! Even PICK
    Databases are like the tools in your bag, figure out what you want to accomplish FIRST! then pick the tool or database that is best suited to accomplishing that task.
    If you dont need SP or Triggers or anything advanced then MySQL or SQLLite are good if your hosting company will support it.
    I have a client that is running MS SQL for a 36 mb database, but because of the automation they require they NEED the stored procs.
    What do you want to accomplish?
    Tell us that, then let the penut gallery help you decide:-)
    Theolz

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Possibility
    I have always used MySQL because it is easy and does what I need to do. However, I hear people saying that it is the worst DB out there. What makes database systems like Oracle and PostgreSQL better? What's the advantage of using them over MySQL?
    Hi, just another couple of good threads: How much does database 'brand' really matter? (2 pages) and PostgreSQL or MySQL (speed) (2 pages). Short notice about http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/features.html comparison resource --don't trust it at 100% !