SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A faster loading; search engine friendly way around tables

I have heard someone talking about a new, improved method for the old fashioned HTML tables. What is it?

What are the advantages?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've heard right. But it's not that new, more kind of a way back to the roots: Semantic web design. We are talking about a css driven layout based on layers.

The advantages may not be not that clear at first sight, and some of them can be debatable, such as the improved search engine friendliness.

The biggest advantages are a clear structure in your html document, content seperated from your layout and improved accessibility for disabled users, i.e. visually impaired users.

It can also help you save bandwidth, since a css driven layout needs less bytes than the same table layout.

A good resource I know is www.htmldog.com

But if you have a good look around sitepoint, you'll also find lots of threads and articles dedicated to it, just have a look into the CSS subforum for a start.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at that site. Cheers for the link.

I don't think this is going to really benefit my site. I may instead try to use less tables in my HTML (I use them too much) and just try to tidy everything up a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take it easy, a complete and sudden change from a table layout to a css layout is a huge step and sometimes not that easy. The approach is different and there are some issues, especially cross-browser issues, that need to be taken into consideration as well.

But I strongly recommend you to have a serious look into css driven layouts.

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.