SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: no-www?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no-www?

according to this site: http://no-www.org the www subdomain should be deprecated. i had never heared of such thing, so i read the site.

this is their argument:
    In order to answer this question, we must first recall the definition of WWW:
    World Wide Web:
    n. Abbr. WWW

1) The complete set of documents residing on all Internet servers that use the HTTP protocol, accessible to users via a simple point-and-click system.
    2) n : a collection of internet sites that offer text and graphics and sound and animation resources through the hypertext transfer protocol.

By default, all popular Web browsers assume the HTTP protocol. In doing so, the software prepends the 'http://' onto the requested URL and automatically connect to the HTTP server on port 80. Why then do many servers require their websites to communicate through the www subdomain? Mail servers do not require you to send emails to recipient@mail.domain.com. Likewise, web servers should allow access to their pages though the main domain unless a particular subdomain is required.
    Succinctly, use of the www subdomain is redundant and time consuming to communicate. The internet, media, and society are all better off without it.
    though they have *a* point, and domain.com looks way more stylish then www.domain.com, why would i so suddenly want to change to no-www?

and would you change to no-www?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, I have never thought about it. I think the www. looks better and more profesional. They do have a point, but they do have too much time on there hands to be worring about having no www before a domain...

I will stick with the www.mydomain.com ...I still think it looks better'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the hosts I know of support the no-www anyway, meaning it doesn't make a difference whether you use www.yourdomain.com or just yourdomain.com. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Also the ordinary internet user is now so used to the www in front of you domain name, it would be nearly impossible to change this.

In addition, as you see in this post, the www.yourdomain.com is automatically parsed (or whatever word you use to express this) as a link while the yourdomain.com isn't.

You shouldn't change to the no-www but make sure that your domain can be accessed with the no-www as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sitre ranking

I've heard from several webmasters that dropping the www off your name could hurt you in the search rankings.

Any truth to this??

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vammirato
    I've heard from several webmasters that dropping the www off your name could hurt you in the search rankings.

Any truth to this??
    No. The only search engine related thing someone would need to be aware of is that Google considers www.domain.com a different page from domain.com.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    No. The only search engine related thing someone would need to be aware of is that Google considers www.domain.com a different page from domain.com.
    so if you advertise/link on one site as domain.com and another as www.domain.com, will it hurt your search ranking?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only search engine it will affect is Google as it does see them as two different pages. Fortuantely that is very ealiy overcome. All you need to do is use a 301 redirect to redirect from the non-www to the www page and then Google will see them as one page. See the SEO FAQ for more info on that.