SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Some Help? Dont know what to do

Hi guys, im working on my site and want to add a feature where users can select there year -> brand -> modle -> make of there car. Like I want to add a drop down box to where when the add a year then a box drops down under it and they select there modle, then a box drops down under that and they select there make of there car. EXP When you select GMC it has all of GMC's cars they have made, then you select the car and it has all the modles of that car... like 4 wheel drive etc.. I have been searching all day and oh my gosh I swear my head is about to explode, can someone please help me, please!!

Thanks
    /// Tech9 ///
    ---> WebDesigner

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well keep beating your head on the desk my friend. I went through this 3 months ago for a big auto app I built and I ended up doing it myself (db and all) ... we "swiped" the database from the NADA (online) and I built the lookup using XMLHttpRequest so they user picked a year and then i fill in the makes that were available in that year, then they pick a make and we fill in models in for what models were available for that make in that year.

Automotive data and apps are damn near impossible to find. WHY? Because the automotive industry is one of the LAST to embrace the internet and computer technology. I know parts house that STILL use paper catalogs and their computers are running DOS applications. Its really amazging how much the industry has fought the new technology but now they ARE embracing it ... and OH BOY are there opportunities to make money in it! Yeah MAN!

Good luck, your going to need it!

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This does that using static arrays instead of XMLHTTPRequest

For this since the database is so huge you will need to use XMLHTTPRequest, but that script can show you how part of it is done.
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    Well keep beating your head on the desk my friend. I went through this 3 months ago for a big auto app I built and I ended up doing it myself (db and all) ... we "swiped" the database from the NADA (online)
    Could you tell us how you "swiped" it? I'd love to get my hands on that!

Free data! Beats the hell out of compiling it yourself!