SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mozilla 0.9.2 Browser Release

Hi,

It is crucial that every web developer keep note of important browser releases. Well, Mozilla 0.9.2 has been released and is simply impressive. Not only is the start up speed drastically improved, it also supports 'preloading of the browser' on windows startup. This is much like the way IE loads faster (as its in-built)

Many bugs have been fixed, and just a look at the preference menu makes me feel Mozilla is becoming much more superior then IE.

Theremight be some debate about which browsers etc...Just try to keep it a little low as afterall, its based upon your own prefrences.

Here's the news report.
    http://mozillaquest.com/Mozilla_News...d_Story01.html

Includes all the noted major changes and more.

If you read my post some time ago about Mozilla 0.9.1 not being 'up to the standards', Mozilla 0.9.2 is definitely better. And yes, they fixed some rendering bugs. (phew..cause my design template was affected..ahah)

Do download the talkback build as it helps the developers report crash bugs and facilitate the elimination of these nasty bugs.

Here's a direct link to a talkback build for win32.
    http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/r...-installer.exe

Other downloads..at the downloadpage here.
    http://www.mozilla.org/releases/

View their updated roadmap which includes more 0.9.X branches before version 1.0 here. http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html
    Last edited by lynlimz; Jun 29, 2001 at 22:12.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for passing on the news! I downloaded Mozilla 0.91 for Windows not a week ago because I was impressed with it on Linux. Going to download it right away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aidan Bahta
    Thanks for passing on the news! I downloaded Mozilla 0.91 for Windows not a week ago because I was impressed with it on Linux. Going to download it right away.
    Definitely. Hmm...Mozilla servers are fast. Downloaded at 350 kbyte/sec! Haha!

BTW, I edited my post to include the roadmap.
    Last edited by lynlimz; Jun 29, 2001 at 22:12.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using Mozilla now. I like it so far...but I miss the CTRL and Backspace to get rid of individual words, and I miss Shift clicking to open in a new window. Still, it is nice to use something different for a change, and Mozilla is (IMO) definately usable.

Oh yeah...and clicking with the mouse to open a link in a new window is so much more convienent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aidan Bahta
    I miss Shift clicking to open in a new window. Still, it is nice to use something different for a change, and Mozilla is (IMO) definately usable.
    yep. I use that too =(
    But hey..I can live with it. I've switch to mozilla 0.9.2 as my default browser over ie5.5 now. Ported all my bookmarks too!
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Mozilla 0.9.2 Browser Release

Originally posted by lynlimz
    Here's the news report.
    http://mozillaquest.com/Mozilla_News...d_Story01.html
    I won't depend on Mozilla Quest for my Mozilla-related news. The owner can't get some simple facts right and can't analyze numbers properly.

There are, in fact, no single news site dedicated to Mozilla which is unbiased, but I like http://www.mozillazine.org/ because there are user comments for every story (Slashdot style) so you do get a rather good balance of viewpoints.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Mozilla 0.9.2 Browser Release

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lynlimz
    [B] Not only is the start up speed drastically improved, it also supports 'preloading of the browser' on windows startup. This is much like the way IE loads faster (as its in-built)
    QUOTE]

Yeah this has been in Mozilla 0.91 as well. Takes up a lovely 15 meg of memory just to sit there and do nothing so it will load faster. Great huh?
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: Mozilla 0.9.2 Browser Release

Originally posted by Nocturnal
    Yeah this has been in Mozilla 0.91 as well. Takes up a lovely 15 meg of memory just to sit there and do nothing so it will load faster. Great huh?
    I don't think IE is that slim either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know but you can't stop it being loaded in memory. You can with Mozilla so its extra blot. For Netscape/Mozilla to become more popular it is going to have to be better than IE by quite a bit.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nocturnal, do you have a little bit of knowledge about memory management, and what a program needs to run, how much RAM it has to use, etc ?
    Yes, it takes 15 MB to sit down there, but once you run it, it doesn't take much memory when many windows are opened. I can't count the times when I end up with IE using 50 MB, and Opera keeping too much stuff cached adds to the memory hogging.

I understand the concern of memory usage, but your expectations there are a bit unrealistic.

Lymlinz, the guy at MozillaQuest just doesn't have any logic, he said Mozilla 9.2 would be the buggiest release ever because it'd have 280 bugs: if he had queried Bugzilla, he'd have known that these bugs are old bugs still not fixed. Also, typos and misplaced elements in the UI are counted as bugs. It's very annoying to see this guy getting that many hits on his stupid site, because he just doesn't know what he's talking about, and takes his fame from the hard work of others.
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Shin Ma
    Lymlinz, the guy at MozillaQuest just doesn't have any logic, he said Mozilla 9.2 would be the buggiest release ever because it'd have 280 bugs: if he had queried Bugzilla, he'd have known that these bugs are old bugs still not fixed. Also, typos and misplaced elements in the UI are counted as bugs. It's very annoying to see this guy getting that many hits on his stupid site, because he just doesn't know what he's talking about, and takes his fame from the hard work of others.
    The worst thing is, "geek news" sites like Slashdot like to link to him. I have noticed, however, that Slashdot and Slashdotters have been looking at Mozilla more positively.

Anyway Shin Ma, what platform are you running? I run Mozilla on Win2k and memory footprint is still quite a concern.
    Last edited by duckie; Jun 30, 2001 at 08:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL
    Hey..I'm loading Mozilla in turbo mode...really cool!
    haah!

I visit newsforge.com..for my news. just provided the link to yuo as they did.
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Shin Ma
    Yes, it takes 15 MB to sit down there, but once you run it, it doesn't take much memory when many windows are opened.
    True but why would I want 15 meg of memory wasted on an application that i don't even have loaded just so when I do decide to load it, it will load up a few seconds quicker.

When loaded with one window Memory taken is around 21mb. When the quick start feature is on Memory taken is 15mb without Mozilla even being loaded.

IE with two windows open takes 7 meg.

Mozilla with 2 open takes 22 meg.

IE when not active (Not in use but loaded) Takes 3 meg.

Mozilla takes 15.

Go figure

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by duckie
    Anyway Shin Ma, what platform are you running? I run Mozilla on Win2k and memory footprint is still quite a concern.
    Well, running Win2k too, and while it's sometimes weird with the memory, I don't really notice it... I'm on 256 MB, that must be the reason and I ordered 256 other MBs just to be comfortable.
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang - I was cut off at the pass!

I just dropped by to share my initial thoughts on the still hot from the oven release of Mozilla 0.9.2 and I see that many people have already beaten me to it!

Well, on my aging PowerMac 9600/300 (Motorola 604e) 0.9.2 is a big improvement so far. Nice to have a propper Macintosh API GUI back too. I don't know what the previous releases were using - but it looked like one of the Java API GUIs - swing?

Ah, it sounds corny to say this but 0.9.2 has restored some of my hope for the future of the Mozilla (and the internet) and improved my outlook on life

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Dang - I was cut off at the pass!

Originally posted by freakysid
    Well, on my aging PowerMac 9600/300 (Motorola 604e) 0.9.2 is a big improvement so far. Nice to have a propper Macintosh API GUI back too. I don't know what the previous releases were using - but it looked like one of the Java API GUIs - swing?
    It was Mozilla's own thing called XUL.

Well I'm running on...let's see, one machine with 256 megs and another with 384. Memory footprint is not quite a concern for me either but it has got to improve to have greater appeal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all the statistical reports of the memory usage..
    I'm not certain whether the reports are valid.
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Memory useage has droped a lot from what it used to be but it seems to be stuck at the 20 meg mark now for quite some time. I guess thats not so bad and I would use it if it offered something that IE didin't. At the moment IE does all Mozilla does it uses less memory and just works nicer at the moment. They used to be a speed diffrince when using mozilla but currently I have been using IE 6 beta and between this and Mozilla 0.92 I can't even notice a diffrince.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, after about half an hour to an hour or so of surfing today, Mozilla ate up 60MB of RAM on my Mac which it did not release even when I closed all my open browser windows. Thank goodness memory leaks arn't radioactive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm..I use Mozilla at times and my computer's been on, (no rrebooting) for 11 hours now and its still alright.
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not rebooted my machine in the office for 5 days or so and I've been running daily Mozilla builds.

There were a couple of sites which crashed Mozilla, but nothing which brought the OS down.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say that this browser is starting to kick ****. It works wonderfully. As I have 512MB RAM, I really could not care less for memory usage, but nevertheless, I'm sure it will be improved. Mozilla development is moving towards optimizing the browser right now, rather than adding new features - which I think is a good thing.
    Last edited by M. Johansson; Jul 3, 2001 at 17:07.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by truelight
    I must say that this browser is starting to kick ****.

cheers!!
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to download and try out this Mozilla browser that's often talked about. It's pretty cool, but I noticed a few problems it has with rendering pages correctly. For one, the left column on threads with each user's name, avatar, posts, etc. is abnormally narrow - and the space where I type this very message is abnormally wide. Strange...

I also wish it had IE's Import/Export feature.
    Last edited by mjames; Jul 4, 2001 at 18:55.