SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Database Problems & More Servers

The forums seem to be at max capacity again, as every few reloads gives a database connection error.

Idea to help pay for more servers: Sticky posts at the top of forums.

Offer one sticky post per forum, 3-5 per marketplace forum. Sell them on an auction basis; up until 5 days before the start of the month, you can place bids on getting your post stickied. The highest bidder then has 5 days to pay and submit their post.

The auction format keeps the costs high enough to generate revenue for SitePoint and keep the average MLMer from trying to buy a post. However, it'll still end up cheaper than sponsoring a forum as the position is less prominent and requires clicking a post to reach the ad. The size and quality of this community will attract advertisers and the lower cost and time investment compared to a normal sponsorship will encourage advertisers with lower budgets to purchase as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps it's time to stick adsense on the forums or something, it doesn't bother me and will make this place a fortune IMO

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're almost finished investigating hosting options. Once we pick a company to go with, the transition will take about one month.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually think that Dan has a pretty good idea, and it wouldn't really take too much effort considering the amount of profit it could potentionally bring in. You might even think about increasing the amount required for the forum sponsoring, I'm sure that it wouldn't hurt SitePoint