SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Promoting a news site

I just opened a news site on Wednesday and have got about 250 unique hits for the first 4 days. I got listed in GoTo and Findwhat (haven't even had a single hit in 3 days form FindWhat yet) under every possible term (news, breaking news, headline news, conservative news, etc) and my staff has been posting there articles on other sites with links to mine. I sent out a press release, but I doubt it gets picked up anywhere. Despite all this traffic stays the same, or even declines some days.

What else can I do? Is there an PPC engine I should be in, trade links? Is there even anything else to do?
    http://www.sianews.com: an independent, politically conservative news site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try offering to other webmasters your headlines, like moreover.com
    Soccer Directory | Travel Directory
    (free - reciprocal will give you featured status)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I've noticed you're using the newspro script. It's very easy to offer headlines with the newspro script.

Best regards,
    David.

Marketing Guru ;) Johan Malmberg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yahoo

If you can afford it I would recommend you to send your site to Yahoo.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who did you send your press releases to? From flipping through your site, it looks like it could be a great success if you promote correctly.

Your target audience is conservatives, so go find them! Get a listing in the local church fliers. Call up several conservative groups and let them know about your news site, then follow the call up with a press release. Purchase some ad space in a conservative print magazine or newspaper. Let the AM radio stations know you're alive. You could even try sending Rush Limbaugh an email.

You know the conservative community better than I, so go show them your website. For a site like this, I think offline promotion could really help out in the traffic department.

I'd also recommend that you start a free email service, this can really help with branding and visitor loyalty.

Oh another thing I just noticed, your newsletter link it at the bottom of the page, why?! Put that puppy up at the top so people can see it, and better yet, join.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions. Were on a real tight budget and I doubt we could afford any real advetising campagin. I looked into it, but came up $2500 short.

A few other epople have mentioned Rush Limbaugh as well, but were not actually "breaking" an current stories, so I doubt he'd be interested, but I could try anyway.

The big boys in this genre (www.newsmax.com and www.wnd.com) coth get over 2 million unique hits per month, so there is a large market for this type of site, I just don't know to penetrate it without the dollars.

As for Yahoo, we can't afford that right now either. The press releases were sent to the free places, www.emailwire.com , www.prweb.com , etc, so I don't think they'll get picked up anywhere big.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start sending your press releases to churches and religious groups, plus other people with similar beliefs. Maybe at the end of mass the priest will mention something about your site. You don't need a huge budget to start advertising, it's the little things that put you on the road to success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how can you submit your site to moreover.com ?

i am interested in getting some fresh and free content for my site that deals with consumer products - but trying moreover.com will be resoucrce consuming - any alternatives?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried and was rejected. Apparently my site "wasn't what were looking for". You have to pay for the clickthroughs anyways and who knows how much that will be. I didn't like Moreover to start with, so no big loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by sianews
    I tried and was rejected. Apparently my site "wasn't what were looking for". You have to pay for the clickthroughs anyways and who knows how much that will be. I didn't like Moreover to start with, so no big loss.
    Can you give me the URL of the submit form?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you concentrate more on getting your own content, like you have for the columnists, than on posting links to other websites.

Then you can post stories to email lists, etc, with a link to your site. I ran a news site for a while, and this type of promotion brought a LOT of visitors, not to mention the traffic from the search engines later because the content was located ON my site. I did this more with news stories than opinion columns though.

I also offered RDF/XML and Javascript versions of my headlines to visitors so they could put my headlines on their site.

If I think of any other method I used, I'll let you know.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hook up with syndicated columnists that are conservative. I am thinking Fred Barnes of Roll Call, Robert Novak of the Chicago Tribune, etc. Try to get their content. Also, see what kind of networking opportunities you have with conservative and/or moderate news sources. I am thinking Washington Times (http://www.washtimes.com) or the Chicago Sun (http://www.chicagosun.com), Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com) etc. See what they have going for them. Post polls of current events. (i.e. Do you agree with How California Governor Gray Davis is handling his state's energy crisis? Should Pres. George W. Bush concede America's environmental interests to the interests of the European Union and sign the Kyoto Treaty?) Get some interaction. The more people come, the more people stay. :-)
    Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -hook up with syndicated columnists that are conservative. I am thinking Fred Barnes of Roll Call, Robert Novak of the Chicago Tribune, etc. Try to get their content.

How exactly would I go about that? There's not really anything on their websites that mention syndication. Besides, how much will that cost me?

-Also, see what kind of networking opportunities you have with conservative and/or moderate news sources. I am thinking Washington Times (http://www.washtimes.com) or the Chicago Sun (http://www.chicagosun.com), Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com) etc. See what they have going for them.

What type of "networking opportunities". Again, nothing obvious on their websites that I could find.

-Post polls of current events. (i.e. Do you agree with How California Governor Gray Davis is handling his state's energy crisis? Should Pres. George W. Bush concede America's environmental interests to the interests of the European Union and sign the Kyoto Treaty?)

Polls will go up with the new design next week, but that won't get more people to my site.

-Get some interaction. The more people come, the more people stay. :-)

I just opened a foum that has got 45 registered memebers in 4 days, so that is working out okay.

In the past 3 days my hits have jumped to 500 as opposed to the 250 a day I was getting before. Unfortunatly me GoTo money just ran out, so a major source of hits is gone.

My columnists have been posting their articles on other sites and forums with links to my site and that has also ben getting alot of hits, but not enough.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sianews,

How often do you update your site? I'm looking for a news site who updates often. I run a daily newsletter which I always place a small bit about the latest news, along with a link to more details about the news. Right now I have the link pointing to a simple newsfeed, but would like to send the traffic to a more expansive database of information.

Was wondering if you or anyone else in this forum would know of a small news site who would be interested in receiving this traffic in exchange for subscribers or something else. I previously linked to NBCi, but when they dropped their affiliate program, I dropped them.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunatley I don't have many subscribers to anything yet, but I do 2 full updates, and one abbreviated update per day.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they actually are syndicated, but you will have to contact them or contact the respective newspaper and find out what their policies are in this...emailing them is probably the best bet.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think so...

Anybody looking for real partnerships give me an e-mail.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I was in trouble getting 250-300 unique hits per day, but now 3 weeks after opening I have trouble drawing 170 on a consistant basis.

I don't know what else to do. I've wasted $200 in GoTo, setup a few link exhchanges, post my sites content on all other news sites and newsgroups and mailing lists, run a seemingly active forum, have a poll that changes every other day,post more content them any other site is it's category, yet no one comes. Willing to try anything at this point...And ideas?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never promoted a news site, or a site of your nature, however if i were to promote your site, this is what i would do:

1) Write your own news stories, read up on the fox, abc, cnn, ap etc story / take, then write the same story, in your words! Then you can link to these other sites for more information.

2) Once you start doing that, email the full coverage crew at Yahoo.com, try to get your site listed in the Opinion & Editorials section, better yet, if you were to get in there Related Web Sites section (at the bottom of every news story) you can expect hundreds of visitors a day. I once recived 2900 visitors from one link, on one news story to my website! Talk about a rush!

3) Now you have the visitors, you need to keep them! Are you collecting email addresses? What if you had an email list that you sent news to twice a day? Talk about a service that is needed! Send a simple email with the headlines of news, and where they can read the full story (on your website, see #1)

4) Great! Now you have an email list, most of these people will visit your site a few times a week, now's the time to have them interact with each other! You mentioned you already have a forum, do you link to a thread at the bottom of each news story? If not, why?

5) Lastly, use the current traffic you have, to get new traffic, maybe a banner exchange would work? Find a targeted banner exchange, and join it. Each day, make a new banner (simple text banner, takes 3min) for the days top story. Alot of people here say that banner exchanges wont work, but thats just not true! A well targeted banner exchange, with a good headline, or current news subject can get great returns! Better yet, start your own banner exchange!

Good luck

P.S. The only thing i think your site is missing, is a nice brandable logo, and some color. Small pictures next to the headlines would help also.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good points, but many aren't feasible, yet anyway.

1. I want to do this, and even tried, but I'll need a bigger staff, and I can't get a bigger staff until I get more traffic.

2. I've submitted, but not heard back yet, so in the mean time no traffic.

3. I will, and plan to send out a newsletter, but not until I have more traffic.

4. Same as above.

5. Good point as well. Once I have more traffic bigger sites would like to exchange links providing even more traffic, but that dosen't slve my current problem .

I thought about a logo, but I can't make them and with all the text it woud only slow down loading time, so I opted against it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    start collecting email addresses now, always a good idea, even if you decide not to send out the first ezine / email untill you have a few hundred subscribers.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3. As mentioned, definitely! start collecting email addresses now. You can then email these subscribers weekly (for starters) with simple updates, maybe some hot topics in the forum. As you grow, you'll be able to send out your newsletter more often. Even though you may only have 10 subscribers, take care of them. If they like what you provide, they will gladly spread the word of your great news source.

5. I used to think that big websites will only link back if you can send back the same amount of traffic, it's not true. If your website contains quality, original content, people will link to you. Remember, most of us started at the bottom of the barrel, so we now what it's like to be in your position. Start sending out some email to similar genre websites, or better yet, call them on the phone.

In order to build traffic, you need to take advantage of your existing traffic, which it doesn't sound like you're doing. Start utilizing what you have and you'll be fine.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a program last night and began collectin e-mail address. I'll try a recommend it script, even though I don't expect much from it. I got listed in Google, although I couldn't even find my site under an revelent search terms. I also sent some e-mails asking for links on various sites, but only got 2 to link me.