SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How to get them to comment?

I have a 'comment article' feature in my site, and I was hoping people would comment my articles, and eventually write interesting things, but they don't comment very often (but when they do it's mostly interesting stuff, exept when they think the comment function sends *me* (and only me) a message...

does anyone have any ideas that might increase the number of peoplke who comment (and even register, and maybe get to know each other, at least the regulars that subscribe the newsletter, etc..)

the site is lirux.com

edit > I get between 300 and 1500 reads/article (depending on how good the headline is, and how good the article itself is...)
    Last edited by lirux; Jun 29, 2001 at 13:56.
    Duarte Carrilho da Graša
    RailsHelp.com: Searchable Rails reference
    CACA: Committee for the Annihilation of Complicated Acronyms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your target audience is quite likely coming to your site to read expert advice, not offer it. They might find it intimidating to append their own comments to the end of an article. You might look into adding a discussion forum to your site and then linking the articles to that - 'discuss this topic and share your ideas'. This is a more open approach that will foster a greater sense of community on your site and encourage participation.

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would also put a link below the news saying something like "Comments: n | Read More | Print"... it's pretty standard at many news sites.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to start the ball rolling by asking a few leading questions. People need some direction from what they read to forming up an opinion on it.

EThan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [Raising this from the dead]

I agree with EThank -- I hardly ever received comments from articles on my old site, but when I posted the same articles in a forum with questions at the end, I had responses. Now, some might think that's because of the nature of forums and those who use them, but I'm positive that if the same method was used in the original article, it would've created more feedback.

My 2p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better replace the "Post Your Comment" thing by "Did I miss something? Tell me here..."