SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why i bother....

I decided to upgrade my Netscape 6.01 browser to 6.1preview - not because i use it for my browsing, but because i like to check my sites in a multitude of different browsers.

So i upgraded NS6.01 to NS6.1 and guess what - NS6.1 fails to even start! I find it amazing that people still stick with the NS s**t - fair enough if it actually gave IE a run for it's money- but it's useless! NS6 is slower than even NS4.07 for DHTML/javascript stuff.... and if you can't even run the program after installing it...

Anyway, the only way i can run NS6.1 now is if i open the profile manager and launch it from there. With any luck NS will just shrivel up and die, because the way it performs at the moment thats the only thing good for it!

Rant over, now back to work...
    Become Interactive because its all gone a bit subBlue

Procrastinator Extraordinaire lucas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was thinking the reason they threw out the upgrade so quickly was to fix all the problems people rant about. but i guess not.

as for netscape dying, i wish there was more competition against microsoft, but netscape 6 is definately not it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little off topic but...

Is that Microsofts fault?
    Come get 5,000 Full Color - High Gloss(front and back) business cards for only $270!
    www.diamondqueue.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is only a preview. You shouldn't bash software because a preview/beta software doesn't load.

In reality Netscape 6/6.01 is beta software, if that, since it is based on an unfinished Mozilla Product.

Wait before Mozilla hits 1.0 and netscape is updated to show this. Lots of rumors this will be NS 6.5? Then make your choice. Right now keep up the Netscape bashing but don't write them off just yet. Mozilla is coming along very nicely.
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As understand it, there will be no updates to Netscape - so no 6.5 or anything.

Pete
    Current Projects:
    Brighton Rockz - The only Albion Fanzine

Always Skint - THE forums for BHAFC fans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just recently Netscape put out a new preview version of 6.1 so it looks like for now there will be updates. Who knows about the future though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just recently Netscape put out a new preview version of 6.1 so it looks like for now there will be updates. Who knows about the future though.
    Maybe Netscape should get out of the browser business and become a internet-only company (or become something that they are good at being), kinda like what Sega did when they escaped the console biz into the game-making biz (which they are quite good at).

Besides, Netscape doesn't really get income from a free browser, unless Netscape 6 has an on/off banner ad thing.

And IE 5.5 rules!
    + Kevin Marinas - kmarinas86@roadfly.org
    + My personal website: http://www30.brinkster.com/kmarinas/

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is sad that Netscape Communicator 6 just doesn't cut it on my aging Mac (604e processor). It is a slug. It ate up 45MB of RAM yesterday before I closed it down! The best hope is that mozilla.org will keep developing the navigator product. I'm sure that Mozilla will continue in some form or another. Although they are only a small percentage of the total user base - I can't see myself installing Internet Explorer onto Linux. That would be sacrilege

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if they do continue it, the least they can do is make it standards compliant. Make most of our jobs a hell of a lot easier, though catering for netscape does make the job, some what more challenging and unusual to say the least!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mozilla is already far more standards compliant than IE.

SitePoint Enthusiast The Criminologist's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it, since netscape has been absorbed by AOL/TIME/WARNER/NAZIMEGACORPORATION they PROBABLY will be ditching the whole browser aspect and stick to search engines!
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    RUN\DOS\RUN
    When all else fails, use Percussive Maintenance!

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freakysid
    I can't see myself installing Internet Explorer onto Linux. That would be sacrilege
    I can already see the plan:
    "Welcome to the MSLinux Internet Explorer setup. Please run this installer as root."
    This is the only way that MS can keep up with the vulnerability level of IE on Windows
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]