SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I design samples for job interview?

Sigh...
    I am going on a job interview this week. Actually, I have two.
    One of the job interviewers wants me to create a sample. I have never gotten a job after creating a job sample... NEVER! I have heard it is not good to do this either. Shouldn't my work be enough?

What do you think? Would you create a small job sample as a test? I have been doing this for over five years. Isn't my portfolio enough?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd put every effort into a sample if they've given you a chance to sell yourself in this manner. Speculative work goes with the turf, do a winning design, be positive, and get the job :-)

working hard is hard work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was interviewed by a firm 1 1/2 weeks ago and they asked me to create some samples...it got me the job.

good luck!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it's a pretty good idea, if they get you to do it in-house. Your portfolio could well be enough, but these guys may want to see how you work with their guidelines/brief, how effecient you are, etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's unreasonable. It's kind of like when programmers go to a interview and they are asked to write some code. I've had several interviews where they've given me a pencil, piece of paper, and told me a problem i need to solve (illustrate a linked list, recursion, fibonicci sequence, etc. ) Not only are they looking to see how I solve a problem, they want to look at my coding style...Do I use comments, do I follow naming conventions, etc.

Just go with an open mind and do your best. That's great you got the interviews. Good luck.
    Sara

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We generally have a programming test, usually a simple debugging exercise. It's really a great way to weed people out from what they say on their resume and that they can do!

Out of around 40 people, only 3 people 100% completed it! Next time we're looking for people, I'm going to do phone interviews first!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What exactly do you guys mean by a "sample". The interviewer gives you a particular problem to solve, or a fictional site to create? Or do they want you to create a small project on your own?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the company is asking you to design a sample, do it lol. There's no ifs or buts, it's a requirement of their selection process

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think you should take that opportunity and sell yourself. If they don't give you a 'topic' then take something from their website or application or how they presently do things and say "Hey, this is how we could do it" a new way, shake things up, it doesn't have to be really radical, but just show some forward thinking.

CEO's are not looking for people to 'fit in' with the organization, they are looking for people to shake things up, else the company will always get people who 'fit in' and probably not do anything that radically changes or impacts the company.

So yeah, take that opportunity and i say, you shake them up!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having hired a few print designers I agree that you should do I sample. I have seen one example of designer putting somebody else work in his portfolio ! How do I know this ? well I knew who had really designed the piece. Fourtunatly I is only a minority but test help weed out the candidates.
    Hexagone3 Internet - Marketing - Advertising
    En affaires CoachingMusique
    Domiciliation