SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CAn Anyone tell me a Possible solution for this issue?.

Hi,

I have a secure area for my Website. Its a folder in web server( for example

"http://www.mysite.com/Securefolder/"). INorder to View the folder user must register with

the site. When a user register a new entry is made to ".htpasswd" file in the secure folder

and the username and password is mailed to user.

Here the tough part come. I charge Some amount for registration. Normally what users do is

one will register and pass the username and password to others and they can also access the

secure area. I want to prevent this

So I thought about two options

1. Cookie
    2. IP address tracking.

We cannot replay on cookie because , it can be get deleted at any time. The second is IP

address and its also cannot be relayed as most of the users don't have a static IP

CAn Anyone tell me a Possible solution for this issue?.

Thanks in Advance ,

Regards,
    KOCHI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm not sure that there is a good way of dealing with that. If you bind the user to a specific ip, that would be wrong since they may have a dynamic ip or they may user there computer in different places (such as a laptop). You could probably make sure that a user has only one login.. That is a bit difficult to do as well as i begin thinking about what that entails. If you are using a database you could set a value for 1 when then user gets logged in, but you'd have to keep track of users who were are logged in/not logged in by using some kind of chronjob to check users last access time..
    If you are not using a database i have no idea how to check that though.. That may detract users from giving there passwords away though because then they won't be able to login when they want to.