SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Limits of Access database

hi, one of my websites has been gaining a lot more traffic lately, its 350 unique visitors a day and rising about 90% a month. I would like to know how long I can keep using an access database using Jet dsn less connection. the site has main product database as well as a news and article database etc. I would prefer to keep running on the current setup for as long as possible. Does anyone know the limits? My next upgrade will be either SQL Server or MySQL

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no hard limit, but the performance will degrade to an unacceptable point at some stage. I manage a very popular Snitz forum and the database performance started going downhill when the database file grew over 150Mb. I eventually migrated to SQLServer which cured all problems, but by the time I moved the Access database was over 200Mb and VERY slow !!!!

The members now love the new speed of the site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of the performance issues have to do with db/code design. If you're hitting the db as few times as possible, minimizing the connection times, the load you're describing should not be any problem. I've heard MSAccess bashing for years, and most of the time it's people that don't understand the fundementals of DB design and web access.

For reference: I'm doing more traffic than you are currently (double), using multiple access dbs on the same server, with no noticeable performance hits at all.

I've read about a guy on some forum that claimed he was doing 10,000 hits a day with a MSAccess db for a while...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    v8central, thats interesting as I also have a snitz forum which has over 2000 members and many more visitors and grows daily. The database is around 50 megs so its good to know that I should think of upgrading that before it gets too large.

scottmbbp, thanks for your feedback and I have my code and database optimized as well but can improve things so your advice is appreciated. This is good to hear and I guess I dont have to worry for awhile then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the keys is.. concurrent connections. Like scottmbbp said.. if you get in and out that will leave the database ready to do other actions. That combined with effiecnt SQL strings and database structure and Access will work for a while. A forum would be one of the worst applications for Access as it continually has to sort multiple connections and through alot of data. As the file size grows it will just get slower and slower. The best thing I ever did was convert everything to MySQL databases. They are just as free and most hosts are supporting them. SQL server is great too, but just usually costs some $$$.
    I think sometimes I dream in code.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your host usually provides the sql database part. My host gave me a 50mb SQL database that I never use. What you can also do is make multiple copies of the blank database, and when the first one reaches a certain limit it starts using the next, but when it comes to login's, searches etc, you can tell it to search all databases.

Gav