SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Importance of RSS....not getting it

I am still trying to understand the importance of RSS. If you make an RSS feed for every page on your site, doesn't this just duplicate what you already have?

Note: I am playing the devils advocate here, because people have been asking me to make it so they can have an RSS feed on every page of their link directory. I've done better. I also have an RSS feed on every search results page as well.
    http://www.phplinkdirectory.com/demo...x.php?q=google

So why am I doing this? Why are people asking for this?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why use RSS?

I don't want to go to your site and check it for changes.
    I want to be notified when changes are made.
    Think of it as e-mail updates from a lot of sites, in the same format, without SPAM.
    Ceci n'est pas une disclaimer.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RSS is a great way to let your members know that changes have been made to your site and what those changes are (i.e. you added new content). Then they can come and view those changes/read the new content.

Since this doesn't seem to be SEO related I am going to request that this get moved to a better forum.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RSS is syndication for yourself, plain and simple. It's another medium in the web world to get your information/content to your audience. Some readers prefer to read your content through a feed reader so that they can track their news and reading material from day to day (or hour by hour) and keep track of what's new and what's been read.

Also, people are able to pull your content into custom content management areas and get the all important newest headline on their site (with a link to you of course).

My advice is to put the RSS up there and look at your traffic. See how much of it is going directly for the feeds and how much is coming from outside sources that are reading a headline and coming to your site.