SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

$this->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Contest or Looking to Hire

I have been thinking for a while about buying a new template for my site, and now I'm wondering which would be better - posting a contest or posting something in the Looking To Hire forum.

Since either way the person whose template I selected would be paid for their services, I'm wondering what the difference would be in posting basically a Want To Buy in either of these forums. Would there be an advantage of one forum over the other for this purpose? I guess I don't really understand what the contest forum might do for me.

Thanks in advance for some clarification.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    Showcase your music collection on the Web

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would generally reccomend a contest. You'll get a wide range of entries and have a better choice

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with Dean. If it's your first time getting work like this done, then do a contest. Then, if you're satisfied with the winner, you can always approach them directly for future work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contest, coded design - not only do you get a good variety of designs, anyone who wins will make sure delivery of finished coded product is to the very highest standard because there's the ability to leave feedback after the contest is finished. i.e. payment/files received etc...

The looking to hire attracts all sorts of unknown quantities - at least with a contest any entrant with a high enough post count who's got a few wins under their belt will be sure to do a good job meeting your highest expectations.

working hard is hard work

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also suggest that you post a contest - as long as you make it clear and offer lots of feedback you don't have to pay out unless you get a template that you are happy with.

You could also look through the template for sale section to see if there is anything you fancy but most of those will not be tailored to your site...

Looking to buy would I think only get you a standard website that you then have to tailor to suit you

good luck
    Regular user

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A contest should be better for you the guys there produce awesome stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah
    I would also suggest that you post a contest - as long as you make it clear and offer lots of feedback you don't have to pay out unless you get a template that you are happy with.
    Good advice, Sarah. I'll keep that in mind when I post my contest. I actually have most of the specs written up for it. I've looked and looked over several months, and I know what I like and what I don't. It should be pretty easy for several people to come up some designs that I would be pleased to choose from.

You could also look through the template for sale section to see if there is anything you fancy but most of those will not be tailored to your site...
    Yes, I've actually been doing that. When I've seen a design I like, even though it hasn't fit the theme of my site, I'll go out to the person's website who designed it and look at some other stuff they've done to see if I might want to just hire them for the job. I haven't found one though that's quite what I'm looking for.

I agree though, a contest might be the way to go. I've been wanting to give my site a facelift for a while. It's time for me to take some action.

Thanks for the advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Tranquility
    A contest should be better for you the guys there produce awesome stuff
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. One thing that puzzles me though - Why do some people take down their designs during and even after a contest? Maybe I'm part of a minority, but I do look at designs from closed contests because I want to see the kind of work that person submitted. If I could see what they did, that might be the person I just went ahead and hired for the job, rather than posting a contest.

Seems like what they designed for a contest should be a sort of advertisement of their work, and not something to be removed afterward. (I hope some of those contest participants see this post. )

Just my $0.02.

p.s. - I plan on posting my contest later on this evening or by tomorrow at the latest. Gotta make sure my specs cover everything first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyl-junkie
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. One thing that puzzles me though - Why do some people take down their designs during and even after a contest? Maybe I'm part of a minority, but I do look at designs from closed contests because I want to see the kind of work that person submitted. If I could see what they did, that might be the person I just went ahead and hired for the job, rather than posting a contest.

Seems like what they designed for a contest should be a sort of advertisement of their work, and not something to be removed afterward. (I hope some of those contest participants see this post. )

Just my $0.02.

p.s. - I plan on posting my contest later on this evening or by tomorrow at the latest. Gotta make sure my specs cover everything first.
    It's a space problem in many cases.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One thing that puzzles me though - Why do some people take down their designs during and even after a contest?
    Unfortunately some people like to steal ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of us host our stuff on small ISP's that limit the amount you can have at any one time. But Egor also has a point. And if your design didn't win why leave it up, it didn't meet the contest holders requirements, why advertise that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    Unfortunately some people like to steal ideas.
    But ideas are all over the place. Why take down a contest entry just for that? I'll grant you that copying someone else's work is going way too far, but building on an idea?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But ideas are all over the place. Why take down a contest entry just for that? I'll grant you that copying someone else's work is going way too far, but building on an idea?!?
    Using someone else's idea without giving credit to that person is called plagiarism.

I'm not really sure how far that definition can stretch because I believe there's a point where one design might be inspired by another, and is not intentional plagiarism.

It get's a bit hairy in contests, people don't like spending alot of time concepting something only to find others have gained inspiration from it, or, parts of it.

working hard is hard work